Ummm, about this GunBroker bidding........

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
Not too savvy with GunBroker, though did buy one gun there. Saw a nice Single Action there and decided to bid. Submitted my maximum bid, which was quickly outbid. Looking at the bid history, there were only two bidders, and seven bids, only one of which was mine! And my bid was fifth. So did Otherman submit four bids prior to mine, and two after mine? And, as I recall, the fourth bid met the reserve.

Seems that he was only bumping up what he would eventually have to pay?

If I were bidding against myself, I'd sure keep my bidding low.

Bob Wright

one bullet

Single-Sixer
I'm a little confused but I do know that you can submit your maximum bid and if someone bids higher than the last bid shown it will automatically outbid you. Your maximum bid is not displayed at the highest bid. I believe it will only out bid you by 5 dollars until it reaches your highest bid.

Mike Mulligan

Single-Sixer
It sounds like you have described a situation where the first bids were put in individually to try to determine the reserve- that would explain why the same bidder showed up 4 times in a row with a higher bid. Your bid would be 5th. If the other bidder then entered a maximum higher than yours it would bump your bid to your maximum right away when you entered it. The other bidder's amounts would show after yours (6th,7th). My experience with GB is that auto bid will NOT enter your max bid unless it is below the reserve/other bid or to beat a bid just below your max. One Bullet is also correct- your maximum bid is never shown unless it ends up being the winning bid or you are out bid beyond your max.

Xsales

Buckeye
Bob

On GB you can enter all the bids you want

Only when someone else (you) bids does the first guys bid increase

EX: He is will to pay $500.00 so he bids first at say $200.00
Current bid is $200.00 (his)

Then he enters 4 more bids $300.00, $400.00, $550.00

Current bid stays at $200.00 becaase he can not outbid himself on thr GB system

Now you come in the poicture and bid $500.00
YOU get bumped as he previously bid up to $550.00

You're out, he is stlll higher bidder UNLESS you go higher then his max of $550.00

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
The other bidder's bid had met the reserve. My bid shown was my maximum bid, and he out bid me with his nest bid. Then he outbid himself with the seventh bid, which right now is winning bid.

Go figure.

Bob Wrght

Xsales

Buckeye
He is not outbidding himself he is raising his maximum

Every entry is a bid with a time stamp

opos

Buckeye
I don't know about GB bidding but with Ebay there are several "snipe programs" that take your bid and just sit there until the last 6 seconds of bidding and then high speed computer bid up to your maximum amount...That drives some folks nuts but it's a fact of life and many savvy bidders use exclusively..Anyone know for sure if there is snipe bidding on G.B?

gtxmonte

Buckeye
opos said:
I don't know about GB bidding but with Ebay there are several "snipe programs" that take your bid and just sit there until the last 6 seconds of bidding and then high speed computer bid up to your maximum amount...That drives some folks nuts but it's a fact of life and many savvy bidders use exclusively..Anyone know for sure if there is snipe bidding on G.B?
No "sniping" on Gun Broker. If you bid at the last minute, the timer resets to 15 more minutes of bidding to prevent sniping

opos said:

Look at gunbrokers 15 minute rule. A snipe program, no matter how accurate, could never possibly work.

wixedmords

Blackhawk
On the main topic, GB is auto-bidding up to that users max bid for them.

Can't snipe on GB. Yeah, doesn't work. Nice that it is that way. :)

But, I do generally check the history of the bids on GB and look for new users driving up the price of the item I want or have bid on. Not a fan of shrill bidding. Should never be allowed, and GB sits on their hands about it. So, the "just insert your maximum bid" theory doesn't work in my book. But other strategies do.

It would be nice if these sites dealt with shrill bidding better. Kinda sick of inserting a bid, and watching a newbie running the price up to, oddly, exactly my maximum bid (or even more strangely, just short) and stopping. They are just so smart. :)

Ruger Packer

Buckeye
wixedmords said:
On the main topic, GB is auto-bidding up to that users max bid for them.

Can't snipe on GB. Yeah, doesn't work. Nice that it is that way. :)

But, I do generally check the history of the bids on GB and look for new users driving up the price of the item I want or have bid on. Not a fan of shrill bidding. Should never be allowed, and GB sits on their hands about it. So, the "just insert your maximum bid" theory doesn't work in my book. But other strategies do.

It would be nice if these sites dealt with shrill bidding better. Kinda sick of inserting a bid, and watching a newbie running the price up to, oddly, exactly my maximum bid (or even more strangely, just short) and stopping. They are just so smart. :)

GB doesn't care about the shill bidding as the higher the bid goes the more money they make.

gtxmonte

Buckeye
wolfsong said:
Too much trouble for me.

Support your local gun shop. Just my opinion, mind you.
Yeah, that's great if your LGS has anything that remotely interests you. Myself, I have about seen all the cases of black pistols and walls of black rifles that I care to. Not to mention they are too HIGH priced. So when my LGS supports me, what I care to own and gives me a fair price on it, I will support them.

wolfsong

Staff member
gtxmonte said:
wolfsong said:
Too much trouble for me.

Yeah, that's great if your LGS has anything that remotely interests you. Myself, I have about seen all the cases of black pistols and walls of black rifles that I care to. Not to mention they are too HIGH priced. So when my LGS supports me, what I care to own and gives me a fair price on it, I will support them.
Fair enough.

Busterswoodshop

Buckeye
gtxmonte said:
wolfsong said:
Too much trouble for me.

I have to agree with that.
It seams like everything is made out of black plastic anymore.