Vortex lens cleaning pen, very poor quality

Help Support Ruger Forum:

338reddog

Single-Sixer
Hey just a heads up bought one the other day, pull it out of the package and
The foam or what ever is supposed to be in the cap is glued to pen end. I dont always like to use a lens pen. However on occasion there is a need. I am awaiting customer service to contact me. However I tried to write a review on their website
Here is my review
No good waste of money
I bought this piece of junk 7/29/19. I was looking for leupold lens pen but Scheels in Reno did not carry them. I get home and open it. It has about a 3/8 foam piece attached to the end. It does not look like any lens pen I have used. It appears that what ever is supposed to be in the cap was glued to the pen. Like im going to use this P.O.S. On my Swarovski or High end Leupold products. Hey I would even use it on my low end vortex scope
Here is their reply
338redddog,

Our team read your review and we value your contribution. Unfortunately, at this time, it did not meet all our approval guidelines. We hope you will modify so we can publish next time!
Your review cannot be approved because it:

contains inappropriate content
Hey Its their website so censorship is ok, but giving bad product for good money isnt. The least they could have done was email me about a product replacement.
I probably would never use it.
Just a heads up about a poor quality product
I was looking at purchasing one of their long range scopes but decided to move on.

Big Old Boy

Hunter
Every scope I have is Vortex great product at a good value, I have never used a cleaning pen sorry for your pen disappointment.

I have had a fine hair, unknown type that fits in a container like lip stick. Used it only on the target scopes during a match. I do not shoot matches any longer and carry it in my pack when hunting. Working great since around 1976. Maybe a match shooters supply like Creedmoor Sports might stock one. Nothing worse than damaging the lens on a high end scope with a crappy cleaner.
Makes me wonder if it was supposed to have some cleaning fluid that would on the foam and it was missing etc.
Edit: Check out Midway lens cleaning pen. I used one for several years on hunting scopes and the Otis lens cleaning cleaning kit. The pen ran out of cleaner and I went back to the hair brush.

The Norseman

Blackhawk
What? Who ever would consider purchasing such a contraption!

I must be way too Old School. Q-Tips are way more common to find
and cheap.

Blow the dust/minute particles off, a few fluffed upped Q-Tips and
Windex, very careful circular pattern, all clean, and over with, no fuss.

Chief 101

Hunter
I don't need a Vortex pen as I have plenty of Sharpies, and also I don't write on lenses...

338reddog

Single-Sixer
I did remove the POS line from the revue. Vortex was kind enough to replace the item with 2 new ones. Also included a couple of other items as well. The new pens are the same as the first. I have a call in with them now. I looked at the product on the web and there is definitely something wrong.

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
The Norseman said:
What? Who ever would consider purchasing such a contraption!

I must be way too Old School. Q-Tips are way more common to find
and cheap.

Blow the dust/minute particles off, a few fluffed upped Q-Tips and
Windex, very careful circular pattern, all clean, and over with, no fuss.

Be very careful using Windex on coated lens. The ammonia in Windex destroys most lens coatings. Found out that little tidbit the hard way!

Use a lens cleaner especially designed for optical lens.

Bob Wright

The Norseman

Blackhawk
I Emailed Leupold and here's what they said;

"I would recommend using as close as you can to 100% rubbing alcohol with Q-tips and
a lens cloth to clean your optics. You can get the rubbing alcoholin the health section
in most retail stores. Please feel free to email me back with anymore questions."

Guess I'll have to change my ways.

:unsure: The 'foam' is supposed to be glued to the pen NOT in the cap. Sounds like it's made just like the ones I've used for several years. Works well enough especially when there's just a bit of ?? on the lenses.
I'd be very careful about using some types of alcohol solvents on current model scopes. Some are literally glued together and some solvents could damage the glue/sealant/sealer.

Latest posts