WATER HOLES & QUAKIES

Help Support Ruger Forum:

sixshot

Buckeye
Changed the oil in my black horse today (Suzuiki 4 wheeler) & headed for the mountains, I wanted to check some of my old water holes & take a few photo's along the way.
These are very special water holes, me & my 4 son's have hunted them for many years & lots of deer, elk, moose & even a mountain lion were taken by these water holes.
In Idaho its illegal to bait any big game animal (good law) so the most effective way of hunting sept & early oct is in the vecinity of a water hole, there will be many trails leading to the more remote water holes, you just have to do your homework to be successful. In my early years I would pick 4-5 different ones, brush the entrie area down with a piece of brush & then check them for fresh tracks every 2-3 days, after a while it was quite easy for one or more of us to be successful.
One son was the youngest hunter in Idaho to harvest a bull moose with a bow, 2 years later he whacked a record book mountain lion, again with the bow.
Southeast Idaho is also one of the biggest sheep producing areas in the US, there are thousands of the "woolies" roaming the high mountain meadows & slopes, there's lots of water & plenty of grass, ideal habitat for "woolies", the herders come from all over the world but mostly old Mexico, Chile, Peru & of course the Basque herders from the Spain-France border areas. These guys are always carving there names in the millions of quaken aspen trees in the area, some are quite good, some are quite graphic! Outside of their native country there are most Basque people in Idaho than any where else in the world.
Below is some of the water holes, flowers & "quakies" we photo'ed today, yes I had Callshot with me! :D

100_2065.jpg

100_2058.jpg

Some of the many wild flowers in the area.

100_2068.jpg

One of our favorite water holes.

100_2071.jpg

More quakies will sheep herder art :wink:

100_2072.jpg

Water hole

100_2073.jpg

100_2074.jpg

100_2077.jpg

100_2078.jpg

100_2079.jpg

My neat little 32 maggie & an old tree stump

100_2081.jpg

This is Callshot, all dressed up with his new 32 maggie.....no the picture isn't out of focus, thats how he really looks :wink:

100_2083.jpg

100_2084.jpg

100_2085.jpg

I think some of these guys have been out here to long! :D

100_2090.jpg

Still lots & lots of grass for so late in July, plenty of feed for the elk.

100_2091.jpg

100_2095.jpg

100_2100.jpg

100_2102.jpg

Hope you enjoy them! Dick

contender

Ruger Guru
Once again,,, some great pics to make me get the itch to wander west,,,,! I'd love to hang out at any of those waterholes & see what came in. BTW; They now have trail cameras to show you what REALLY came to the water!

Scott r

Single-Sixer
Where's Callshots old rig? Nylon??? Come on! Dick, dont you know a guy back east who builds a few decent holsters? Great pics... falls comin isnt it!

twobisquit

Single-Sixer
Very nice Dick. That Idaho country is very much like the Bighorns.A lot of Basque in the Buffalo area. They found one of the "Top 10 Fugitives" up there last week.
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,534734,00.html
He had been herding sheep up there for quite awhile. Outlaws have been hanging out in the Bighorns for quite awhile. I would bet there are a few of these types out your way too Dick.

contender

Ruger Guru
It's funny this post shows beautiful remote areas,,,, and then the story link about the shepherd hiding from the law as well It's funny because the movie "Last of the Dogmen" was on again late last night. Ahhh to be able to wander the mountains for extended periods of time and just enjoy that beautiful scenery.

sixshot

Buckeye
Scott, I grabbed Callshot in a head lock & told him to get a decent holster rig from Barranti, he has some nice guns but with all the duct tape, nylon, pop rivets & bubble gum holding his "custom" holsters together it was hard to see the gun. To make matters even worse he has a hillbilly hat he wears around town! :wink: I told him it was going to end up with a hole in it......... or six! :D There's only one hidestretcher & thats Barranti.

Twobisquit, there have been many outlaws hiding out in Idaho, Claude Dallas to mention one, but there have been lots of others. The rugged middle fork country of central Idaho has quite a number of crusty looking characters. Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid robbed the bank at Montpelier, just north of here back in the day, the local sheriff actually chased them on a bicycle for a short distance, yes they were on horses.

Dick

callshot

Blackhawk
Come on fellers. Must I defend myself again. I just wear the old stuff to infuriate sixshot. I have even offered to will the hat to him. I think that he is jealous but won't admit it. I have had some of my holsters since before I had more than one gun. Way before I met Mr. Sixshot. Seriously, I do have a Biranti rig coming etc. Sixshot knows that I have been unemployed since 2002, so if I get a cheaper holster for nothing or make one out of scraps that works, so be it, I can take the heat. The holster or hat don't make the guy. Sixshot has taught me how to shoot, and when I miss I can blame it on the holster. Got a couple of squirrels tonight with Dick, and the holster didn't even leave the truck. Fun. If any of you all want a hat or holster, please let me know. Steve

contender

Ruger Guru
Personally I thought it could cause a gunfight to insult a fellers rig etc out west. And then it all comes down to the shootin' after that,,,, So, I won't be the one to insult a mans hat or rig,,, !!!!!!! :D (Besides,,, by not spending too much on hats or rigs,,, means you can buy more reloading supplies,,,! )

sixshot

Buckeye
You can see in the photo that Callshot is pretty proud of that new 32 maggie & he should be, its like brand new. We looked for badgers for a while last night & then he unlimbered his new shooter & pounded a couple of squirrels. I told him, for a Hillbilly he's became a very accomplished shooter! :lol: Now he's got to work on his fence climbing technique a little :oops:

Dick

don44

Hunter
Very good pics. I don't think there's anything wrong with that holster. It's very functional and positions the revolver where it should be. :)

sixshot

Buckeye
don44, we're talking about another holster, one thats so ugly it shouldn't be worn in daylight :cry: the one Callshot is wearing in this photo is OK but Barranti is going to dress him up real nice in a few days.

Dick

callshot

Blackhawk
Beware all of you out there - here lie the remains of the last person who made fun of my holster! As you can see I did plant some wildflowers where he fell.
dsc04079.jpg

Here's another tree stump with my 32.
dsc04086.jpg

Thanks for all your comments about my hillbilly attire. It's nice to have a little fun! I was in an extreme hurry to cross the fence although gracefully was not an option.