What Are The Advantages and Disadvantages?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

SBHRSSSSS

Bearcat
Looking for some constructive considerations regarding the Ruger Letters of Authenticity. What are the advantages and disadvantages to collecting these? It seems like there is minimal information, but, cost is reasonable. I'm considering purchasing letters for all of my Ruger Blackhawks and Single Sixes, and creating a binder for them. Is this advantageous? Is it just a satisfaction of curiosity? My collection is small, and general, an accumulation of sorts. Thanks for the feedback.

Personally, I do not see a reason to obtain a Letter of Authenticity for every Ruger I own. I think it's potentially worthwhile for a rare or unusual model (as proof that it's not a gun assembled from parts on a donor frame), and as you mentioned, it's a way to satisfy curiosity on specific examples of more common models, that might have some interesting history associated with them (surplus law enforcement firearms, for example). But if it's a 'plain jane' example of a common model, I can often find a better use for the $10 - perhaps just buying a different item from the Ruger web site!

As always IMHO, YMMV, FWIW, etc., etc.
:)

Last edited:

hittman

Staff member
They're plenty cheap thats for sure.
I get them just to answer or verify specific features of a gun or for a low digit gun.
For example if you want to know if a Blackhawk 357 or 45 was made as a factory "convertible", a letter would be good. And it'd let you know if you're missing a cylinder.
On an older Mini 14 for example ~ is my factory folding stock original or added later?
Those factors affect value a bit too.

hittman

Staff member
Also, in the double action world ….. the rare D or S serial number would go nicely with a letter. And a USPS gun missing the box, and a round butt marked SECURITY Six instead of Speed Six.

Looking for some constructive considerations regarding the Ruger Letters of Authenticity. What are the advantages and disadvantages to collecting these? It seems like there is minimal information, but, cost is reasonable. I'm considering purchasing letters for all of my Ruger Blackhawks and Single Sixes, and creating a binder for them. Is this advantageous? Is it just a satisfaction of curiosity? My collection is small, and general, an accumulation of sorts. Thanks for the feedback.
Having actual provenance on anything remotely collectable increases value exponentially.

Personally, I do not see a reason to obtain a Letter of Authenticity for every Ruger I own. I think it's potentially worthwhile for a rare or unusual model (as proof that it's not a gun assembled from parts on a donor frame), and as you mentioned, it's a way to satisfy curiosity on specific examples of more common models, that might have some interesting history associated with them (surplus law enforcement firearms, for example). But if it's a 'plain jane' example of a common model, I can often find a better use for the $10 - perhaps just buying a different item from the Ruger web site!

As always IMHO, YMMV, FWIW, etc., etc.
:)
Like that guy with the Mini 30 .223

eveled

Hawkeye
His letter would likely just mimic what the box end said. They aren't going to know it was built on the wrong receiver. So the letter wouldn't help the value.

eveled

Hawkeye
I guess we see it differently.

I don't think the letter will document the wrong receiver. If they knew about it they would not have shipped it.

The letter wont tell any more than the writing on the box

I do agree the letter cannot hurt. Might as well get it.

But to do every Ruger owned is a waste. I could buy another gun.

hittman

Staff member
I'd get a letter on all the odd balls. Even the Mini 30 marked Mini 14.
Never heard anyone ~ especially a potential BUYER ~ complain of having too much provenance.

Folks should go price the letters from Colt or S&W. Granted, many of those have more info and lots of flowery wording but at $100-plus per letter you'd better have a mighty rare item or be pretty well healed.

Some day Ruger will up their price to $50 or more or simply quit doing them. Then we can listen to folks whine about the letters they SHOULD have ordered.

contender

Ruger Guru
Often,, a letter can provide a bit more data than what you might expect.
In recent times,, they are adding the month of manufacture, AND the month of shipping. Plus,, they say where it was shipped to.
Even a plain jane model may have gone to a place or a person that may have significance to others.
It's obvious when a gun may be a rarer variation or low production, or even to a subscriber.
Boxes give model info,, but often a gun is separated from the box.
A letter verifies how a gun, with a specific serial number was built by the factory. When someone asks a question; "Did Ruger mark the gun with ,,,,,,,,,,?" we can use a letter to verify how it was built.

But,, yes,, there are hundreds of thousands of guns out there without any significant value other than as a shooter, that a letter wouldn't help anything at all.

Heck, people throw away boxes, manuals, paperwork etc. Those folks never bother with a letter.

Personally, I like having letters on my Rugers,, even if they are not special in any way. Why? As noted above,, one day,, if the expense of a letter increases,, and we wanted one, many will whine about paying for it.

At the last ROCS/OGCA show,, a gentleman came to see me specifically. Last year,, he'd mentioned a gun he had. I strongly advised him to get the letter,, as,, if it lettered as he described,, it'd increase the value. Well,,, it lettered,, AND,, more importantly,, his gun helped chad (chet15) update details on that model for the RENE. His gun was made a month prior to known knowledge.
Collectors like such details.

I've ordered a Letter on every pre-80's Ruger that I own. Some are just interesting, some shed light on the original configuration, and one let me know that the gun was never entered into Ruger's records.

Maybe I'm strange that way, but I've always been interested in history. I absolutely love buying a vintage car and finding a glovebox full of old receipts. I love rooting around in old ghost towns. Looking for unique treasures in antique shops. As far as the Ruger letters- it's interesting to me to see where a gun was shipped to, or what month a gun was sold. Like a 1976 model that was made in July. Independence year and month! Or one that was shipped to Edward K Tryon, the oldest gun house in America. I am fascinated by the minutiae of history. That's what makes the letters worth it to me.

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
The letters can add substantial value to a prospective purchaser if it validates a rare configuration such as the S guns, or a scarce barrel length or grip option, or if the ship date supports (by means of not invalidating) a unique configuration such as an XR3-RED or a Ross flattop. And the recently added "shipped to" info can help if it went to a famous person. But they can only be as accurate as the info that Ruger has on record. I once got a letter on a scarce .38 Special Security Six but the letter came back as a .357 Mag. I called them to complain, and they said that's how it got logged back in the day and if I wanted it corrected, I would have to send them the gun (not just photos) for inspection. It was especially disappointing because the gun also had the "H" heavy barrel and "P" factory Pachmayer grips - both of which confirmed but the caliber was wrong. The HP guns are not terribly rare in .357 but are like hen's teeth in .38.