What made you a Ruger rifle fan?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Wow, how did I miss this one.

Back in 1979, turned 21. Had to get a NJ permit to purchase pistol. Went to a local gun shop. Showed me a Colt Python. Amazing gun. Over $1K. Then showed me a Dan Wesson with interchangeable barrels. $650. Asked for something less. Ruger SS Security Six. Side arm of NJSP. $350. Bought it. Then researched it and found out it was a great investment. Read Bill Ruger's description on how it was made. I was all set. Had it for 15 years. Loved it. Hunted with it. Then sold it to a woman who needed it more than I. Self-defense. Regretted the sell, and the bought another NIB from same era. Now, keep it forever, until I die. Love shooting it.

mrs50sls56

Bearcat
In 1977, my girlfriend wanted to buy me a rifle to replace a 1974 220 Swift HB 77 that had been stolen. We went to the local store who had about 15 77s lined up on the wall behind the counter. One struck me as being unusual; when I grabbed it, the first thing I noticed was the express sights. Then, the round top action. Then, I looked at the caliber; 25-06. Not what I wanted. The clincher was the "200th Year" engraving. We've been married for 44 years. Think I'll keep 'em both.

I am not loyal to just a rifle company name. Ruger has made or makes some rifles I like and want. I have owned just about someone from most rifle companies.
When they started building bolt action center fire rifles, they sure changed up the word "how" to make a rifle. Several things were revolutionary to the industry, and they were cheaper than most of the other companies. The outcome was a fine rifle.
Your mentioning rifles not guns, so. I like the 77s, #1s, Hawkeyes, some of the 10-22s models. Other stuff not as much.
The thing I don't like is some guns are sold for a few years and discontinued. Making parts tuff. That also has me asking, if it was a good product why quit making it for a newer model.

rwp315

Single-Sixer
Started out with loaner for my first deer rifle, it was a M77 tang safety .30-06 Ultra light, you know the ones with the black piece on the forend. And I have never hunted with anything else.
Still have mine. Purchased from a friend about 25 years ago. Then found another red pad never shot 35 Whelen.

Would love a No.1 and African Express but the second ones a bit pricey.

I only started with a 10/22 at very start of this year. I had chosen a Ruger MK IV pistol three years ago for a target pistol after inheriting a MK II about 12 years ago. I bought a Ruger 9mm pistol maybe two years ago. All these firearms, a late 80's MK II or new, just work great both in function and accuracy. So at start of year when I wanted to get a starter rifle to target practice, the 10/22 was a logical choice for me. I did look at other brands/models when selecting this past January but once I looked at Ruger versus others and held them all the 10/22 was perfect. Somehow in a year, I know have 4 varieties of the model 10/22 and a PCC in 9mm. Same as before with my pistol exposure, functionally sound, accurate, ergonomics, all very well done IMHO. Would like at least a .243 or something close for learning long distance, higher power rifles and looking at Ruger. My issue is being lefty with rifles, limited with Ruger but I think if I get one in higher caliber, its going to be a Ruger.

The Mini-14 was my first Ruger rifle (Bicentennial 180 series), but the 10/22 is what I really got hooked on.

50yr1022.jpg

Alabama, in the bend of the Tennessee River
Price, American walnut stock, classic styling. I remember my LGS in the mid-70s would have a dozen or more 77s in various configurations, price was $215 each. My first was a round top in .270, put a 2-7x Leupold on it and killed my best whitetail buck with it later that fall. I've owned a dozen or more since then. Currently have two; a round top 7mm Rem. Mag with Zeiss glass and a flatbolt RS .308 with a 3.5-10x Leupold. We won't get into the 10/22s, I currently own four. Plan to give or leave one to each of my six grandchildren, so I still need two.
Admire No. 1s but never got into them. Owned a 1A in .257 Robert's for a year or so but let it go.
Currently have one Mini 14, I like it.

GasGuzzler

Hunter
Ruger rifle fan because I bought my first rifle, a 10/22, for $199 and I chose it because it was cheap but looked sturdier than the competition. It's the only Ruger rifle I own. Might like a 580-series Mini-14 blued with hardwood stock some day.

Bubbas358

Bearcat
Having shot, and learned about, Mausers when I was younger, I wanted a M77 in 308 Win. Managed to score one with factory irons on it, learned to shoot it very well with the sights, scope, and even a NECG peep on the rear scope mount. The build quality was better than I could see from the other manufacturers' at the time, and it just fit perfectly for me.

Forward a few years, and I have owned multiple Mini's, a few 10/22's, and some Gunsites. I really miss that first M77 (stupid decisions lead to regrets), and I managed to understand that I won't be letting my final Gunsite out of my reach until I stop breathing.

I had this final Gunsite rebored to 358 Winchester, and it is a shooter!!!! I really love putting big flatnoses downrange and hearing that "THWACK" when they hit something solid.

208packinheat

Single-Sixer
Made in USA, classic looks, and at a price where you could buy a sporting rifle for less "than a weeks wages." Although at the time I was in the Navy, and it was closer to a months wages. First ruger was an M77RS Hollow bolt in 7mm Mag, then a Super Single Six for those pesky Jack Rabbits in Eastern Idaho.
Still trying to find my favorite 😎

Attachments

• IMG_0768.jpeg
    IMG_0768.jpeg
    333.8 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_0763.jpeg
    IMG_0763.jpeg
    333.7 KB · Views: 39

rwp315

Single-Sixer
A friend offered up for sale the 18 or 20" 77 tang Safety 30-06 with factory sights. Bought it
with the scope. Looked like the African style bolt guns. That was 1995 or so. Shoots great.

Then a never fired 77, 35 Whelen and recently a 77 hardly fired 338 Winchester Mag.

Missed a Ruger RSM in 375H&H. But I'll keep looking. Maybe a 458, not sure.

They'll go to my grandson.

I'm not sure I'm a real Ruger fan. I got into Rugers when I needed a cheap rugged 22 semi-auto rifle. The 10-22 filled that need. A Mini 14 soured the milk for a while but Ruger 22 pistols brought me back. Then the P-series handguns and 77/22 came along to make things better. Ups and downs with favorite rimfires and handguns but I really only have one Ruger centerfire rifle and it's primary choice factor was the use of magazines I already have--not the brand.

208packinheat

Single-Sixer
In that first photo, what is that third rifle with the fleur-de-lis checkering (the one between the two Mannlicher-style rifles)?

I like that one.
It is a custom M77 in .257 Roberts. Custom work by Allen Horst. He did stock, barrel work, and engraving. I will post picts soon

208packinheat

Single-Sixer
It is a custom M77 in .257 Roberts. Custom work by Allen Horst. He did stock, barrel work, and engraving. I will post picts soon
Picts as promised

Attachments

• IMG_0886.jpeg
    IMG_0886.jpeg
    258.6 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0881.jpeg
    IMG_0881.jpeg
    187.1 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0885.jpeg
    IMG_0885.jpeg
    247.2 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0882.jpeg
    IMG_0882.jpeg
    268.2 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0880.jpeg
    IMG_0880.jpeg
    134.9 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0879.jpeg
    IMG_0879.jpeg
    145 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0878.jpeg
    IMG_0878.jpeg
    205.5 KB · Views: 22

firefiterjohn

Bearcat
I became a Ruger rifle fan after responding to a local newspaper classified ad in early 1980s (yes, they actually had a section for Guns For Sale) for a mini-14 for sale for asking price of $200. I called and a lady said she moved from Arizona and couldn't shoot prairie dogs off her back porch anymore so she wanted to sell her rifle. Being in college at the time, I scrounged up the money quickly and drove over to buy it. It was a "180" series rifle that looked brand new with a 10 and 30 round mag included. It was the first Ruger I ever bought and I still have it! It will get passed down to one of my grandsons.

As dove290119 simply stated above: The A-Team, all that needs to be said. That was also part of my reason for getting a mini 14. I loved it that "...a plan came together." Watching that muzzle flash during dusk shoots was AMAZING! I still enjoy that mini-14 and even found a nice Bicentennial one a couple years ago.

Latest posts