Whats the next Ruger gun that will become the "Holy Gra

Help Support Ruger Forum:

winchester348

Single-Sixer
chet15 said:
I'm not sure it would be much of a nich.
? Or does the market want them because they are unlike anything else out there??? Black rifles and all the accessories same thing in my opinion....how much of that uniqueness is truly useable?? And how many truly use it for what its meant for.
Chet15

Amen to that. I still haven't seen my first Zombie. I guess they're being killed off before they get to my neighborhood with all the Zombie apocolypse equipment being sold.

Not a collector, but for my money the two most desirable hunting guns that Ruger has discontinued are the 96/22 .22 WRM (a serious "sleeper" for all kinds of hunting/survival uses) and the Red Label 28-bore. They will both be in demand by hunters. If you find either at a reasonable price, buy it!

contender

Ruger Guru
Trying to predict the next holy grail is a total gamble. I recall back in the 1980's when the Bisleys were introduced. I thought; "Those won't last. I should buy one or two in a caliber that's odd enough to be a slow seller." Well, I got a 32 H&R mag Bisley. It's still NIB. But I was WRONG about it becoming a high dollar hard to find gun. Oh sure,, they are desirable,, but the Bisley is here to stay, (and I'm thankful) and the 32 maggies are popular. No holy grail for me.

And as for RR & Jack,,,, I will not indulge in comments for fear I may be in the same boat with them from time to time. :D :D

Now,, the idea of a 50th anniversary Hawkeye will appeal to MANY of us. All we can do is hope,,,,!

RugerHound

Hunter
Whatever flops... buy it! ;) If a fella had bought up a truckload of Hawkeyes when it became apparent they weren't gonna take of, they'd have a very nice retirement supplement right about now.

bigbill

Single-Sixer
The redhawk in 41mag too..... If ruger today would offer the redhawk in 357mag w/ 5 1/2" barrel and 7 1/2" barrel plus the redhawk in 41mag w/ 5 1/2" barrel and 7 1/2" barrel i'd take a loan out to purchase all 4 of them in a heartbeat. All of us baby boomers had little $$ while raising a family in the 80's. Now its my time to party the kids are grown and gone. To satisfy my wants for a 41mag i purchased a new S&W M58 N frame. The 41mag is an awesome round. I have a redhawk in 44mag can i purchase the cylinder and new barrel in 41mag to change it over?

mohavesam

Hawkeye
There will always be the hard-to-find models, like the convertible 17 Single Sixes and Service-Six guns with the factory lanyard rings, but the Hawkeye and SRM will never be less-rare than they are now. I feel the next Holy Grail may just be a Ruger collectible. Like the Bill Ruger signature bats. Or the black Peterbuilt semi-trucks with the Ruger logos. Or the rectangular one-ounce .9999 silver coined 22 pistol "coins". Odd stuff that collectors get off on.
Gold Label shotguns. First-year carbines and rifles. And some of those wonderful late-'80s 10/22 sporting spectacular random wood...

hr2lrn

Single-Sixer
Well you can't top the Hawkeye "throwback" model. But I would love to see a .22 auto Mark II 514 in TARGET GREY. Guess the lawyers will all have to die before we can get a Mark II reissue.

One never knows, besides to us an "old post" is current and NEW to someone who just "came of age" or "came aboard",,,,,,,,,,,,,get this at the gun shows all the time, heck they still bring me red eagles to put back together and make them work.... 8) :roll: :wink:

as for 'holy grails' few and far between as far as I'm concerned.................. :?

HAWKEYE#28

Staff member
rugerguy said:
One never knows, besides to us an "old post" is current and NEW to someone who just "came of age" or "came aboard",,,,,,,,,,,,,get this at the gun shows all the time, heck they still bring me red eagles to put back together and make them work.... 8) :roll: :wink:

as for 'holy grails' few and far between as far as I'm concerned.................. :?

FOR US SENIOR PEOPLE, NOTHING MUCH EXCITING SINCE '73............ 8)

HAWKEYE#28 said:
FOR US SENIOR PEOPLE, NOTHING MUCH EXCITING SINCE '73............ 8)

Been a few . . . Maximums . . . the .32 and .40 Buckeyes . . . and the .44 converts too, I guess.

Perhaps the first go-round of .32 Single-Sixes (that should have been 327s).

:)

Nanchulla

Bearcat
I wish to heck that Ruger would remake the Flatgate. They could even build them precise so that the Transfer Bar could be removed. I would buy ten of them. Even if they made a .22 LR only model again, so that the barrel was a good fit for the LR ammo. That gun would go off the charts immediately. A new .22 LR with Flatgate woul be a Holy Grail, no doubt.

1gunsnotenough

Buckeye
It's interesting that most comments pick some sort of revolver. But if you look at the younger collectors for the most part they are not revolver fans. Who would have ever thought about collecting Glocks !! So what non revolvers do you guys see being a Holy Grail.

hr2lrn

Single-Sixer
chet15 said:
I'm not sure it would be much of a nich.
The Hawkeye has advertised itself for the last 50 years, namely to those who remember not buying one when they were $87.50...and you could probably go up to about the mid 1970's when they could still be had cheaply.
All it is is a Super Blackhawk cylinder frame, breech block and tube with appropriate caliber. I mentioned to Fifer that they could do it in .256 Win. Mag. the first year and then expand to other calibers in its 2nd year.
I think manufacturing of the TC Contender has slowed up in a big way over the last few years as well, so now would be a good time to do a Hawkeye.
And everybody likes the unusual....I mean really, is there that much of a market for all the unusual configurations of S&W's performance center guns? Or does the market want them because they are unlike anything else out there??? Black rifles and all the accessories same thing in my opinion....how much of that uniqueness is truly useable?? And how many truly use it for what its meant for.
Chet15

They could also do a Hawkeye on the Single Six frame in .22/.22 MAG with dual breech blocks. A real odd ball there. I would probably be the only one to buy one. 50 years from now no one would even want one then, would fit into the category "you can't even give that dog away".

Latest posts