Why do almost all of you use such heavy bullets.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
It depends on what caliber you are dealing with and the use,targets,varmints or big game. A 245 gr. bullet is about average for the .44 but on the puney side for .45 Colt . Most like 300 + .
Deep penetration is what most hunters prefer and heavy bullets supply that.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
This all goes to the eternal argument of Heavy and Slow, vs. Light and Fast. I don't reload, but the biggest caliber I have (other than shotgun) is .41 mag. I prefer 210gr. XTP in that for a variety of reasons, including external & terminal ballistics. I could get 265gr but have no use for it.

tinman

Buckeye
I hope those wiser than I will correct me if I am wrong.......sometimes it takes a physically larger projectile to properly fill a case, usually length is the issue I have heard.

Jim Puke

Hunter
A 245gr bullet will totally penetrate anything that you will want to shoot.

For all of this bravado about heavy bullets because they penetrate better...most of these guys are shooting paper with them and maybe an occasional deer...neither of which demand a 300+ grain bullet.

contender

Ruger Guru
One thing I've noticed in my big bores is occasionally,,, a heavier than "normal" bullet seems to be a bit more accurate.

But,, I too ask; What caliber?

Mtneer

Single-Sixer
tinman said:
I hope those wiser than I will correct me if I am wrong.......sometimes it takes a physically larger projectile to properly fill a case, usually length is the issue I have heard.

Well yeah, sort of, but not necessarily. :D It also depends on the shape of the bullets and how deeply they are seated. For example, in .38 Special loads I prefer the big, 170gr Keith style semi-wadcutter bullets at moderate velocity for all around use. Yet the 148gr hollow-base full wadcutters bullets I have fill the .38 Special cases better if the they are seated almost all the way in like they are supposed to be.

But you're right - the amount of space left in the case after the bullet is seated can be problematic (or at least seem problematic) to some shooters using light charges of fast burning powders behind light weight (short) bullets. For example, Cowboy Action Shooters might be shooting .45 Colts using small charges of fast burning powder for very light loads. With light bullets seated in voluminous .45 Colt cases, that would leave a lot of room for the powder to move around. That's why some powder companies have come out with powders such as "Trail Boss" - a fast burning powder made up of granules shaped like little donuts to take up more room in the cases. I don't use it, but that's what I've read about it. :)

6gun

Hunter
I use 240gr. for 44 mag. that's smaller. :p

What cal. is the OP referring to? :?

jsh

Single-Sixer
I had a formula for designing cast bullet designs until I lost it in a crash some time ago.
Bore diameters demand a minimum length and twist would determine a maximum length, if I recall properly. There is a sweet spot in there some place.

Not to veer off subject but the comment on punching paper with heavies.
I look for the best accuracy period. Just because I am punching paper isn't any excuse for accepting a less accurate load. And, don't get me wrong lite bullets for caliber can be quite accurate. Most have been found to falter after 25-30 yards. Speaking handgun here for the most part.
I very seldom plink or blast any more. If you do see me doing either it was to rid myself of some culls.

Rclark

Hunter
100-115g for .32Mag, 158s for .357/.38, 240-260g for .44Mag/.44Spec, and 250-255g for .45 Colt. Just seems to shoot more accurate and work fine for targets as well as varmint/hunting/defense bullet weights. Never have to change the sights on any my guns either once set.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
I use 'standard for caliber' weight bullets mostly. But occasionally I will use heavier or lighter bullets for a special effect like a 180gr bullet in my .357 rifle or a 125gr bullet in my 30-30 for plinking. 200 gr bullets are great for plinking or 'cowboy' shooting with a 44mag or 44special.

Lighter than standard bullets when pushed to the Max. in a revolver can lead to erosion problems. :D

Mtneer

Single-Sixer
onehandgunner said:
Have you ever tried bowling with a tennis ball ?

No, but I think it would probably work better than playing tennis with a bowling ball. :mrgreen:

6gun

Hunter
Bucks Owin said:
Jimbo357mag said:
Lighter than standard bullets when pushed to the Max. in a revolver can lead to erosion problems. :D

Oh? How much lighter than "standard"? Pushed to the max with what powder? Where does this erosion occur exactly? :?

Jimbo is making stuff up again I see. :roll:

Jim Puke

Hunter
jsh said:
Just because I am punching paper isn't any excuse for accepting a less accurate load. And, don't get me wrong lite bullets for caliber can be quite accurate. Most have been found to falter after 25-30 yards. Speaking handgun here for the most part. .

245gr bullets DO NOT falter after 25-30 yds...you must be talking about something else.

DGW1949

Hunter
Rclark said:
100-115g for .32Mag, 158s for .357/.38, 240-260g for .44Mag/.44Spec, and 250-255g for .45 Colt. Just seems to shoot more accurate and work fine for targets as well as varmint/hunting/defense bullet weights. Never have to change the sights on any my guns either once set.

Same here.
The way I see it, the folks that developed those rounds didn't arrive at what became to be known as "standard for caliber" bullet weights nilly-willy. And....it aint a big secret that the rifling twist of the guns which chamber them was optimized for those particular bullet weight being launched within a certain (SAAMI-spec) pressure range.......

So, I have to ask myself....(#1) is an amateur handloader like me really going to improve upon something that has worked just fine for longer than I've been alive, or (#2) would my time 'n effort be better spent by say.....practicing more with an already proven load, and if I need a bigger gun, just get a bigger gun?

Well, me myself, I (long ago) picked #2.
But that's just me. If the next guy likes trying out new things...well, that's OK too.

DGW

DGW1949

Hunter
6gun said:
Bucks Owin said:
Jimbo357mag said:

Oh? How much lighter than "standard"? Pushed to the max with what powder? Where does this erosion occur exactly? :?

Jimbo is making stuff up again I see. :roll:

Me thinks that he was refering to the various erosion problems which have been reported over the years involving the use of fly-weight JHP's and big doses of ball powder in .38/.357 revolver loads.

DGW

SweetWilliam

Buckeye
I like big heavy bullets just because they look cool.
They look so cool it deserves a double post lol