will a Colt 22 conversion kit work on the ruger 1911

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Xrayist

Single-Sixer
I had the Colt manufactured one several years ago. Interesting thing is that it worked fine on my Series 70 Colt, but would not function at all on my 1913 vintage 1911. I think it should work. If it is a Colt version, it will give you the feel of the recoil from a .45 ACP round. The only real issue I had with mine was that the floating chamber would get dirty real quick and would require cleaning at the range, depending on how many rounds were fired. If I used copper plated, 40 gr. bullet ammunition, that seemed to lessen the issue. If I used cheaper non plated lead bullets, I sometimes could not get more than 30 rds through the gun before it started jamming. No matter what, they are a lot of fun to shoot!

Snake45

Hawkeye
I built up a Colt conversion and shot it a LOT, but had the same problem with dirt that you did. It would only go about 500 rounds between cleanings, and near the end of that cycle, the floating chamber would stop "floating,"

I still have it and shoot it from time to time, but I built up a second gun using a Ciener .22 conversion. This one doesn't have the enhanced recoil of the Colt unit, BUT it works flawlessly and will go at least 2000 rounds between cleanings. All things considered, I prefer the cheaper Ciener unit. ;)

eveled

Hawkeye
1911s006_zpsbd16d8bd.jpeg

The Wilson Combat one works fine. Sorry no experience with the Colt kit.

Last edited: