Winchester large pistol primers

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Just bought an unopened 4 lb can of Unique - the label says "Hercules" rather than "Alliant", so it's at least 26 years old (likely older). It was priced right, so I figured it was worth the risk, guess we'll see...
:)
Does it look just like this one?
I picked this one up about a year ago. Had to dig deep into the cash reserves to come up with $10.
I didn't tell the seller that I would have paid his $10 just for the empty can.
Getting the 4 pounds of powder for free made it a true bargain.

Does it look just like this one?
I picked this one up about a year ago. Had to dig deep into the cash reserves to come up with $10.
I didn't tell the seller that I would have paid his $10 just for the empty can.
Getting the 4 pounds of powder for free made it a true bargain.

Yes, exactly like that, but with a lot number stamped near the bottom. I paid more than you did, but I collect old propellant tins also, so the can is definitely a bonus!
:)

Johnnu2

Hunter
I paid $10 for an even older can of Unique. It was a small 'square shaped' can.... I used all the powder without any trouble and sole the empty can to a collector for $10.

J.

Johnnu2

Hunter
They make up a large portion of what is left of my lifetime supply inventory. I bought most of mine back in the 80's and maybe early 90's. I love it when I open a fresh brick and find that I had put the receipt inside. Most were $9.99 per 1000 but I have found some that I was gouged on with the receipt showing I paid $14.99 per 1000. I have loaded and fired unknown thousands of rounds and never had a primer issue with either Winchester or CCI.

Hey AJ, just an FYI. I was told by a CCI tech several years ago, that if I stored primers in a sealed (metal) ammo can, they would be the equivalent of a "stick of dynamite each" if there was a house fire and they 'went up'. He recommended taking the tops OFF the ammo cans and definitely not sealing them. Of course, humidity and temp controlled room was mandatory. I did what he said and also installed a fire sprinkler system in that room (I'm on municipal water.... not a well).
J.

Hey AJ, just an FYI. I was told by a CCI tech several years ago, that if I stored primers in a sealed (metal) ammo can, they would be the equivalent of a "stick of dynamite each" if there was a house fire and they 'went up'. He recommended taking the tops OFF the ammo cans and definitely not sealing them. Of course, humidity and temp controlled room was mandatory. I did what he said and also installed a fire sprinkler system in that room (I'm on municipal water.... not a well).
J.
Fyi
Been through such a fire and that ain't what happened.

J.

Fortunately, ammocans aren't beefy enough to hold much pressure. If they cook off, the can will split and vent the gas. Remember, they were designed for the military to hold ammo in a war zone. They don't want surprise pipe bombs either. :D

What did happen?
There were a lot of ammo cans, some containing loaded ammo and some containing primers.
Due to the nature of the fire it was hard to tell which ammo can was which afterwards.
The cans all popped open. There were a few cans with some obvious holes in them, but most were open and empty. What specifically caused the holes I do not know. This was a shop containing thousands of primers and tens of thousands of rounds of ammo. There were zero explosions.

Latest posts