Wolf attack

Help Support Ruger Forum:

BearBiologist

Buckeye
Cleaning out old Facebook posts and I found this. A report on the only authenticated wolf fatality in North America. There was one reported on a young man in Ontario, but I read the reports, and my opinion is that he was killed by a black bear and the wolves (and foxes and skunks) scavenged the body. Photos indicated the wolves exhibiting play behavior prior to the Ontario attack and the wolves in that case were well habituated to humans through being fed "treats" (leftovers).

I found the presence of Trichinella interesting. I don't know enough about trichinosis in canines to know if that could have been a contributing factor or not (?).

BearBiologist

Buckeye
Working from old guy memory. But yep.
Know how that goes!!

Folklore includes werewolves, wendigos, and other shape shifters, talking coyotes, ravens turning into orcas, and so on. If you consume part of a corpse or have incest, you become a witch. We now know that porphyria produces symptoms like vampires an certain kinds of lupus will produce a wolf-like appearance. Usually, there is some basis for folklore. Maybe wolves ate corpses and became bolder (a possible reason wolves in Eurasia are more aggressive?)

BearBiologist

Buckeye
"A report on the only authenticated wolf fatality in North America."

I disagree.
You must have never seen this.

The pro-wolf people try to erase this.
I knew Troy Mader, State Representative, Campbell County, Gillette, WY.
R.I.P.

Save it to share in the future.
Hardly an unbiassed source! Certainly not a biologist nor even a scientist. Have information on his background and training?

"
Troy R. Mader (December 1, 1955 – July 14, 2016) was an American rancher and politician. A member of the Republican Party, he served in the Wyoming House of Representatives, representing the 52nd district. He succeeded Sue Wallis in February 2014 following her death.

Career[edit]

Mader operated a ranch.[1] He worked for the Abundant Wildlife Society of North America as a research director. In that role, he fought to prevent the restoration of the local wolf population by the federal government.[2]

Under the name "T. R. Mader", he self-published a book on HIV/AIDS, titled The Death Sentence of AIDS, in 1987 in which he suggested the "quarantine" of infected people who continue to have sex.[3] Receiving criticism of standing by the book, Mader stated in 2014 "I believe tolerance is characteristic of a person who hasn't any virtue left."[4] He also stated that "many gay people demand the right to have sex with children."[5]

Mader also served as a precinct captain for the Campbell County Republican Party.[2] Following the January 2014 death of Sue Wallis, who served the northern half of Campbell County in the Wyoming House of Representatives, Mader put his name forward as a potential replacement. The Campbell County Republican Party included Mader on their list of three finalists, which they forwarded to the Campbell County Commission, who voted to appoint Mader to serve the remainder of her term in February.[2][6] He was sworn into the state House on February 11, 2014.[1][3][7] He served on the House Revenue Committee and the House Corporations, Elections and Political Subdivisions Committee.[6]"

I'll review the article with comments. Just at a glance, I note most of his accounts involve (1) rabies, and (2) captive or habituated wolves.

trebor44

Blackhawk
Idaho, East of Boisemento, or is it Boisangelos
Emotional subject to be sure! However, cherry picking stats is not a new thing and often video footage of an event perceived to be 'negative' to one's ideals, suddenly 'disappears'! Predator's are predacious and will hunt and eat as they desire. Wolves were around long before "scientists"! Nature is not harmonious! Having seen pet dogs gut a living duck or deer, I would not discount someone's lack of "scientific" quals!

BearBiologist

Buckeye
Emotional subject to be sure! However, cherry picking stats is not a new thing and often video footage of an event perceived to be 'negative' to one's ideals, suddenly 'disappears'! Predator's are predacious and will hunt and eat as they desire. Wolves were around long before "scientists"! Nature is not harmonious! Having seen pet dogs gut a living duck or deer, I would not discount someone's lack of "scientific" quals!
True. Nature is not nice.

"Alfred Lord Tennyson: In Memoriam A. H. H., 1850. The quotation comes in Canto 56 (it is a very long poem) and refers to man:

Who trusted God was love indeed
And love Creation's final law
Tho' Nature, red in tooth and claw
With ravine, shriek'd against his creed

However, pet dogs is not a good example. Cats and dogs do more damage to cattle (and livestock in general) and songbirds (in the case of birds) than do wolves.. But that's off topic. We are discussing wolves and humans.

Moreover, human experiences are not very verifiable (memories fade=I went to a retirement party last night for a biologist who used to work for me. People from all over the country came and I had trouble putting names to faces and it's only been 5 years.).

And we ALL know how reliable the media are!!!

I have re-formatted the document so I can make comments directly upon it. My comments will be in read and I'll highlight in bold apparent discrepancies or things I want to point out. Hope to have it back today.

Last edited:

BearBiologist

Buckeye
Here it i s!I didn't spend too much time on it! Some of the sources are wrong listed, and I didn't search further. Some required payment and I didn't feel it was worth it. Several were found in Google Scholar which does take some experience to use.

I could not get the commented copy to transfer as an attachment, only the unedited pdf. So I had to cut-n-paste: (Sory!!)

My comments are in RED. Points I'm pointing out or referring to are in BOLD. I apologize for taking this on but I spent last night drinking vodka with a hundred or so Fish Biologists and Wildlife Biologist and really got my head back into Biology.

WOLF ATTACKS ON HUMANS

T. R. Mader, Research Director ABUNDANT WILDLIFE SOCIETY OF NORTH AMERICA

P. O. Box 2 Beresford, SD 57004 ©2011.

Permission granted to disseminate and/or reprint if credit is given to the source.

T. R. Mader is Research Director of Abundant Wildlife Society of North America, an independent research organization. T.R. Mader has researched wolf history for more than 15 years and has traveled over 30,000 miles conducting research and interviews on environmental issues. :

It has been widely discussed whether a healthy wild wolf has ever attacked a human on this continent. In fact, many say such (authenticated) attacks have never occurred in North America. History states otherwise. Although attacks on humans are uncommon, they have occurred on this continent, both in the early years of settlement and more recently.

Here is one report: "NEW ROCKFORD, DAK, March 7 - The news has just reached here that a father and son, living several miles northeast of this city, were destroyed by wolves yesterday. The two unfortunate men started to a haystack some ten rods from the house to shovel a path around the stack when they were surrounded by wolves and literally eaten alive. The horror-stricken mother was standing at the window with a babe in her arms, a spectator to the terrible death of her husband and son, but was unable to aid them. After they had devoured every flesh from the bones of the men, the denizens of the forest attacked the house (get real!! A little hyperbole?), but retired to the hills in a short time. Investigation found nothing but the bones of the husband and son. The family name was Olson. Wolves are more numerous and dangerous now than ever before known in North Dakota." (Saint Paul Daily Globe, March 8, 1888 I downladed the paper for that day and found NOTHING! Browse Issues: St. Paul daily globe. [volume] « Chronicling America « Library of Congress (loc.gov) ) Here an account is reported which included an eyewitness and the family name. Some have reasoned the wolves were rabid. That is unlikely as these animals were functioning as a pack. A rabid wolf is a loner. Our research has never found a single historical account of packs of rabid wolves on this continent. Individual animals are the norm. Further, accounts of rabid (hydrophobic) animals were common in that day and were reported as such. The winters of 1886-1888 were very harsh. Many western ranchers went broke during these years. The harsh winter could have been a factor in the attack. Noted naturalists documented wolf attacks on humans. John James Audubon, of whom the Audubon Society is named, reported an attack involving two negroes. He records that the men were traveling through a part of Kentucky near the Ohio border in winter. Due to the wild animals in the area the men carried axes on their shoulders as a precaution. While traveling through a heavily forested area, they were attacked by a pack of wolves. Using their axes, they attempted to fight off the wolves. Both men were knocked to the ground and severely wounded. One man was killed. The other dropped his axe and escaped up a tree. There he spent the night. The next morning the man climbed down from the tree. The bones of his friend lay scattered on the snow. Three wolves lay dead. He gathered up the axes and returned home with the news of the event. This incident occurred about 1830. (Audubon, J.J., and Bachman, J.; The Quadrupeds of North America, 3 volumes. New York, 1851 – 1854 Page number. A murder most foul, maybe? However, Audubon was known to be fervently anti-wolf!
George Bird Grinnell investigated several reported wolf attacks on humans. He dismissed many reports for lack of evidence. Grinnell did verify one attack. This occurrence was in northwestern Colorado. An eighteen-year-old girl went out at dusk to bring in some milk cows. She saw a gray wolf on a hill as she went out for the cows. She shouted at the wolf to scare it away and it did not move. She then threw a stone at it to frighten it away. The animal snarled at her shouting and attacked her when she threw the stone at it. The wolf grabbed the girl by the shoulder, threw her to the ground and bit her severely on the arms and legs. She screamed and her brother, who was nearby and armed with a gun, responded to the scene of the attack and killed the wolf. The wolf was a healthy young animal, barely full grown. Grinnell met this girl and examined her. She carried several scars from the attack. This attack occurred in summer about 1881. (Grinnell, G.B.; Trail and Campfire - Wolves and Wolf Nature, (Pages 152-176) New York, 1897 (Trail and Camp-fire, The Book of the Boone and Crockett Club - Google Play Books)Grinnell also only recognizes only one species of wolf: we now know of at least 3 species (and the coyote or "brush wolf") in North America. The account (pgs.174-175) sta stes the girl attacked the wolf which apparently bit her in self-defense, when her brother killed it. Certainly NOT unprovoked!

In 1942, Michael Dusiak, reading this, it sounds like an attack by a rabid wolf. I once had a coyote (NE of thetown of Mojave, CA) attack my car in early morning and ran alongside snapping at the handle. section foreman for the Canadian Pacific Railway, was attacked by a wolf while patrolling a section of track on a speeder (small 4-wheeled open railroad car). Dusiak relates, "It happened so fast and as it was still very dark, I thought an engine had hit me first. After getting up from out of the snow very quickly, I saw the wolf which was about fifty feet away from me and it was coming towards me, I grabbed the two axes (tools on the speeder), one in each hand and hit the wolf as he jumped at me right in the belly and in doing so lost one axe. Then the wolf started to circle me and got so close to me at times that I hit him with the head of the axe and it was only the wielding of the axe that kept him from me. All this time he was growling and gnashing his teeth. Then he would stop circling me and jump at me and I would hit him with the head of the axe. This happened five times and he kept edging me closer to the woods which was about 70 feet away. We fought this way for about fifteen minutes and I fought to stay out in the open close to the track. I hit him quite often as he came at me very fast and quick and I was trying to hit him a solid blow in the head for I knew if once he got me down it would be my finish. Then in the course of the fight he got me over onto the north side of the track and we fought there for about another ten minutes. Then a west bound train came along travelling about thirty miles an hour and stopped about half a train length west of us and backed up to where we were fighting. The engineer, fireman and brakeman came off the engine armed with picks and other tools, and killed the wolf." It should be noted that this wolf was skinned and inspected by an Investigator Crichton, a Conservation Officer. His assessment was that the animal was a young healthy wolf in good condition although it appeared lean. ("A Record of Timber Wolf Attacking a Man," JOURNAL OF MAMMOLOGY, Vol. 28, No. 3, August 1947 Page 294+

BearBiologist

Buckeye
Continued:

Common Man Institute, in cooperation with Abundant Wildlife Society of North America, has done extensive research on wolves and their history for several years. We have gathered evidence on wolf attacks which occurred in North America. A forester employed by the Province of British Colombia was checking some timber for possible harvest in the 1980s. He was met by a small pack of three wolves. The forester yelled at the wolves to frighten them away. Instead, the wolves came towards him in a threatening manner and he was forced to retreat and climb a nearby tree for safety. The wolves remained at the base of the tree. The forester had a portable radio, but was unable to contact his base, due to distance, until evening. When the call for help came in, two Conservation Officers with the Ministry of Environment were flown to the area by floatplane to rescue the treed forester. When the Conservation Officers arrived, the forester was still in the tree and one wolf, the apparent leader of the pack, was still at the base of the tree. The officers, armed with shotguns, shot at the wolf and missed. The wolf ran for cover and then started circling and howling near the two officers. After a couple missed shots, the wolf was finally shot and killed. The wolf tested negative for rabies. It appeared healthy in every respect, but was very lean. The Conservation Officers felt the attack was caused by hunger. (Taped Interviews and a photo of the wolf on file at Abundant Wildlife Society of North America. (Hearsay unless confirmed)
This is but one example from British Colombia. Wolves overran Vancouver Island in the 1980s. Attacks became so common that articles were published in Canadian magazines documenting such attacks. (Copies available upon request Give us some citations or we can't use it!!!.) Wolf Attacks on humans have occurred in national parks, too. In August 1987, a sixteen-year-old girl was bitten by a wild wolf in Algonquin Provincial Park in Ontario. The girl was camping in the park with a youth group and shined a flashlight at the wolf. The wolf reacted to the light by biting the girl on the arm. That bite was not hard and due to the thick sweater and sweatshirt the girl was wearing, she sustained two scratch marks on her arm. The wolf was shot by Natural Resources personnel and tested negative for rabies. (Interview with Ron Tozer, Park Naturalist for Algonquin Provincial Park, 7/25/88.) Well-known wolf biologist Dr. David Mech took issue with this attack stating it couldn't really be considered an authentic attack since the girl wasn't injured more severely. It was exactly nine years when such an attack would take place. : Algonquin Provincial Park is one of several areas where people are encouraged to "howl" at the wolves in hopes of a response from the wild wolves in the area. In August, 1996, the Delventhal family of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, were spending a nine-day family vacation in Algonquin and joined a group of Scouts in "howling" at the wolves. They were answered by the howl of a solitary wolf. That night the Delventhals decided to sleep out under the stars. Young Zachariah was dreaming when he suddenly felt excruciating pain in his face. A lone wolf had bit him in the face and was dragging him from his sleeping bag. Zach screamed and Tracy, Zach's Mother, raced to his side and picked him up, saturating her thermal shirt with blood from Zach's wounds. The wolf stood menacingly less than a yard away. Tracy yelled at her husband, Thom, who leapt from his sleeping bag and charged the wolf. The wolf retreated and then charged at Tracy and Zach. The charges were repeated. Finally the wolf left. Thom turned a flashlight on 11-year-old Zach and gasped "Oh, my God!" "The boy's face had been ripped open. His nose was crushed. Parts of his mouth and right cheek were torn and dangling. Blood gushed from puncture wounds below his eyes, and the lower part of his right ear was missing." Zach was taken to a hospital in Toronto where a plastic surgeon performed four hours of reconstructive surgery. Zach received more than 80 stitches in his face. Canadian officials baited the Delventhals' campsite and captured and destroyed a 60-lb wild male wolf. No further attacks have occurred since. (Cook, Kathy; "Night of the Wolf" READER'S DIGEST, July 1997, pp. 114-119. (Couldn't access)
Humans have been attacked by wolves in Alaska. The late David Tobuk carried scars on his face from a wolf attack on him as a small child. The incident occurred around the turn of the century in interior Alaska. David was playing in his village near a river. An old wolf came into the village and bit David in the face and started to carry him off. Other Eskimos saw the wolf dragging the child off and started yelling and screaming. The wolf dropped the child and was shot by an old Eskimo trapper who had a gun. (Interview with Frank Tobuk, brother, Bettles, Alaska, December 1988.) Paul Tritt, an Athabascan Indian, was attacked by a lone wolf while working a trap line. Paul was setting a snare, looked up and saw a wolf lunging at him. He threw his arm up in front of his face and it was bitten severely by the wolf. A struggle ensued. Tritt was able to get to his sled, grab a gun and kill the wolf. Nathaniel Frank, a companion, helped Tritt wash the wound with warm water. Frank took Tritt, via dog sled, to Fort Yukon to see a doctor. The arm healed, but Tritt never regained full use of it. Several years later, the arm developed problems and had to be amputated. (Interview with Paul Tritt, Venetie, Alaska, November, 1988) : Two wolf attacks on humans occurred in 2000. Icy Bay, Alaska - Six-year-old John Stenglein and a nine-year-old friend were playing outside his family's trailer at a logging camp when a wild wolf came out of the woods towards the boys. The boys ran and the wolf attacked young Stenglein from the back, biting him on the back and buttocks. Adults, hearing the boy's screams, came and chased the wolf away. The wolf returned a few moments later and was shot. According to Alaska Department of Fish and Game (ADF&G) officials, the wolf was a healthy wild wolf that apparently attacked without provocation. The boy was flown to Yakutat and recieved stitches there for his wounds. Later, however, the bites became infected and the boy had to be hospitalized. (Reports and Interviews on file and available upon request.) (A full description is at: A Case History of Wolf-Human Encounters in Alaska and Canada: Full document (unl.edu))

This is but a brief summary of a few verifiable accounts of attacks on humans by healthy wild wolves in North American History. Biologists tell us that the wolves of Asia and North America are one and the same species. FALSE!!! Wolf attacks are common in many parts of Asia. The government of India reported more than 100 deaths attributable to wolves in one year during the eighties. (Associated Press, 1985) This author recalls a news report in 1990 in which Iran reported deaths from attacks by wolves. Rashid Jamsheed, a U.S. trained biologist, was the game director for Iran. He wrote a book entitled "Big Game Animals of Iran (Persia). In it he made several references to wolf attacks on humans. Jamsheed says that for a millennia people have reported wolves attacking and killing humans. In winter, when starving wolves grow bold, they have been known to enter towns and kill people in daylight on the streets. Apparently, in Iran, there are many cases of wolves running off with small children. Irrelevant due to different species (pl) and circumstances.
There is also a story of a mounted and armed policeman (gendarme) being followed by 3 wolves. In time he had to get off his horse to attend to nature's call, leaving his rifle in the scabbard. A later reconstruction at the scene of the gnawed bones and wolf tracks indicated that the horse had bolted and left the man defenseless, whereupon he was killed and eaten. A Russian Linguist, Will Graves, provided our organization with reports of wolves killing Russian people in many areas of that country. Reports indicate some of the wolves were diseased while others appeared healthy. (Reports on file and available upon request.) Reports have also come from rural China. The official Zinhua News Agency reported that a peasant woman, Wu Jing, snatched her two daughters from the jaws of a wolf and wrestled with the animal until rescuers arrived. Wu slashed at the wolf with a sickle and it dropped one daughter, but grabbed her sister. It was then Wu wrestled with the animal until herdsmen came and drove the beast away. This incident occurred near Shenyang City, about 380 miles northeast of Beijing. (Chronicle Features, 1992) : The question arises: "Why so many attacks in Asia and so few in North America?

Two factors must be considered: 1. The Philosophy of Conservation – Our forefathers always believed that they had the right and obligation to protect their livelihoods. Considerable distance was necessary between man and wolf for the wolf to survive. 2. Firearms – Inexpensive, efficient weapons gave man the upper hand in the protection of his livelihood and for the taking of wolves. Milton P. Skinner in his book, The Yellowstone Nature Book (published 1924) wrote, "Most of the stories we hear of the ferocity of these animals... come from Europe. There, they are dangerous because they do not fear man, since they are seldom hunted except by the lords of the manor. In America, the wolves are the same kind, but they have found to their bitter cost that practically every man and boy carries a rifle..." Skinner was correct. The areas of Asia where wolf attacks occur on humans are the same areas where the people have no firearms or other effective means of predator control. But ... "Biologists claim there are no documented cases of healthy wild wolves attacking humans." What they really mean is there are no "documented" cases by their criteria which excludes historical accounts. Here's an example. Rabid wolves were a frightening experience in the early years due to their size and the seriousness of being bit, especially before a vaccine was developed. The bitten subject usually died a slow, miserable death. There are numerous accounts of rabid wolves and their activities. Early Army forts have medical records of rabid wolves coming into the posts and biting several people before being killed. Most of the people bitten died slow, horrible deaths. Additionally, early historical writings relate personal accounts. This author recalls one historical account telling of a man being tied to a tree and left to die because of his violent behavior with rabies after being bitten by a wolf. Such deaths left profound impressions on eyewitnesses of those events. Dr. David Mech, USFWS wolf biologist, states there are no "documented" cases of rabid wolves below the fifty seventh latitude north (near Whitehorse, Yukon Territory). When asked what "documented" meant, he stated, "The head of the wolf must be removed, sent to a lab for testing and found to be rabid. (Correct=not supposition. However, I expect rabies does exist since it is pandemic and even endemic in warmer areas!

As with rabid wolves, the biologist can say, "There are no `documented' cases of wild healthy wolves attacking humans." In order to be "documented" these unreasonable criteria must be met:
1. The wolf has to be killed, examined and found to be healthy. 2. It must be proven that the wolf was never kept in captivity in its entire life. 3. There must be eyewitnesses to the attack. 4. The person must die from their wounds (bites are generally not considered attacks according to the biologists). That is a "documented" attack. Such criteria make it very difficult to document any historical account of a wolf attack on a human! : Biologists assume when a wolf attacks a human, that there must be something wrong with the wolf. It's either been in captivity or it's sick or whatever. They don't examine the evidence in an unbiased manner or use historical tests.
Historically, there are four reasons for wolf attacks on humans: 1. Disease such as rabies. 2. Extreme hunger. 3. Familiarity/Disposition - This is an either/or situation. Familiarity is the zoo setting, captive wolves, etc. Disposition is a particularly aggressive wolf which may not fear man as most wolves do. 4. In the heat of the chase and kill – This is where a hiker, trapper or whoever disturbs a fresh chase and kill by wolves. The person walks into the scene only to be attacked by the wolves. It is our belief that a predator's fear of man is both instinctive and learned behavior. For example, wolves raised as pets or in zoos are well documented to attack and kill humans. Alyshia Berzyck, of Minnesota, was attacked and killed by a wolf on a chain on June 3, 1989. The wolf tore up her kidney, liver and bit a hole through her aorta. One month later, on July 1, 1989, Peter Lemke, 5, lost 12 inches of his intestine and colon and suffered bites to his stomach, neck, legs, arms and back in another wolf attack in Kenyon, Minnesota. (Reports on file and available upon request.) Zoos carry abundant records of wolf attacks on people, particularly children. The child climbs the enclosure fence to pet the "dog" and is attacked. Zoos and domestic settings are unnatural in that they place man and wolf in close proximity and they become accustomed to each other. Hardly a"natural"situation. Consequently attacks occur. Today predator control is very restricted in scope, and as a result, attacks on humans by predators are becoming more common. In recent years, healthy coyotes in Yellowstone Park have attacked humans. Similar attacks have occurred in the National Parks of Canada. On January 14, 1991, a healthy mountain lion attacked and killed an eighteen-year-old high school senior, Scott Lancaster, in Idaho Springs, Colorado. The boy was jogging on a jogging path within the city limits of the town when the lion attacked and killed him. (Report on file at Abundant Wildlife Society of North America Different specie, so irrelevant!