221 fireball forming

Help Support Ruger Forum:

rugerjunkie

Buckeye
Well Ive spent a lot of time while Ive been laid up monkeying around at the loading bench. I ordered a set of Redding form and trim dies to make fireball brass out of 223. There was a learning process to get things worked out as far as getting the new shoulder bumped back far enough but it all worked out. There was a fair amount of spring back with the brass and I had a heck of a time in the begining!

The first die took the 223 case halfway down and set the shoulder , the second finished the neck and is also the trim die. After that I used a Hornady full length die without the stem in it to get the shoulder bumped back the last few thousandths.

Once sized to that point I annealed the cases and then ran them through the expander. I think I can eliminate a step or two next time. I trashed 3 or 4 cases initially just trying to get things set up but in the end I reformed 550 cases and only lost one to a split neck. I probably missed that one when annealing.

I made up about 25 from Winchester brass and the rest were 50% Lake City and 50% FC 223. None of them needed any neck turning/reaming either. I do think one initial firing will be needed to give a good final forming but they are darn close as is.

So , Im a happy camper so far! And no more being held hostage on Remington deciding to run a batch of brass or not , and the sellers with brass thinking that for some reason 221 brass is worth a $1 or more per case. The heck with them all!! I also think I can end up with better quality 221 brass too.

Now I need to get some loaded up and test them out. Im also looking for info on mild/reduced loads. Id like some of my 36 and 40 grain loads running in 22mag territory to save my stash of mag ammo and I think it could make for some fun plinking pretty cheap! I'll probably have to get another XP-100...I sold mine back when I didnt reload and factory ammo was nonexistant. Maybe an Encore barrel or two also. Right now Im shooting a Rem 700 LVSF in the 221.

rugerjunkie

Buckeye
Yes they are! My XP had a 2-8 leupold on it and the first time i ever shot it , took 3 shots at 50 yards to see where it was hitting , and had to stare at the target for minutes wondering where the other two shots might have gone... Turned out that there were two tiny little eggs in that first hole! I do know where that pistol lives these days but dont think he'll ever sell it back!

contender

Ruger Guru
I had a low 4-digit XP-100 in 221 Fireball many years ago. I foolishly sold that one. I kept the ammo & brass! One day,,, maybe I'll own another!

rugerjunkie

Buckeye
We've all kicked ourselves for selling one. Ive got a custom shop xp-100 in 7mm-08 and a repeater model in 35 Rem that will never go anywhere until im gone! Another Fireball has to be on my short list now since im set for ammo and for the last few years Ive been getting away from the big shoulder bruising calibers and have gotten back into the smaller calibers again.

John S

Bearcat
I have a CZ 221 fire ball and squirrel hunt with it using reduced load. I have tried powers unique and faster with no trouble. Unique, 700x, 231, & titegroup . Tried from 2.5 grs. to 6.0 grs. in each power. Used bullets from 34 gr. to 55 gr.. The vol. was running from about 1100 to 2200 FPS. The 2 I like the best in my gun is =1. 50gr. SP Dog town bullet, ww231 , 4.0grs. power, cci 450 , at 1456 FPS. 2. 34 gr. Dog town bullet, titegroup , 3.5 grs. power, cci 450 at 1763 FPS. ( and on the primer I have used the cci400 & 450 all works ok). All so I have one that if you just like to put a big hole in something try = 35gr. V-max , 700X power, 5.0 grs., at 2188 FPS. All these loads will make a 3 shot group less then 1/2" in my gun.

rugerjunkie

Buckeye
Thanks for the info john. I have found some similar recipes as yours and am going to try some out. You are about where i want to be with some of those reduced loads.