Battery / Electrical Experts - a question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

lipofsky

Single-Sixer
From my limited understanding, the payback / breakeven point with solar panels is about 20 years, I am 70 and in pretty good health but that breakeven point seems pretty far off.

gnappi

Blackhawk
From my limited understanding, the payback / breakeven point with solar panels is about 20 years, I am 70 and in pretty good health but that breakeven point seems pretty far off.
The OP's question is about being able to keep batteries on a boat charged which is not near an AC source for a battery charger.

There is no payback involved because he's not trying to save on the electric bill, or sell power to the power company, just to keep the expensive batteries from dying and needing subsequent replacement and if the boat is in the water, keep it from sinking destroying a multi thousand dollar engine.

Actually I guess that is a payback of sorts and potentially an immediate one :)

In my case, when Florida Flicker and Flash loses power and my house is the only one which has the exterior of the house lit and other critical systems with backup power, payback can't be a consideration.

gnappi

Blackhawk
This is funny. 3 pages
Do it right buy the 24 volt system Charge controller and invertor and go fishing.
Also ask fellow boaters
I don't see anything funny.

First for sure he doesn't need an inverter, for what? A battery charger for his running lights / DF battery? All that power wasted for an inverter? Nah.

Yes a 24 volt panel and charge controller, and buck for the 12 volt battery. I am a boater and lived on salt water for 29 years with two boats in the water 24/7 and nothing I said isn't sound.

Advice to just "buy a 24 volt system and charge controller" may work, but if not the consequences are not good to a solar newbie.

Last edited:

gnappi

Blackhawk

First for sure he doesn't need an inverter, for what? A battery charger for his running lights / DF battery? All that power wasted for an inverter? Nah.

Yes a 24 volt panel and charge controller, and buck for the 12 volt battery. I am a boater and lived on salt water for 29 years with two boats in the water 24/7 and nothing I said isn't sound.

Advice to just "buy a 24 volt system and charge controller" may work, but if not the consequences are not good to a solar newbie.
I'd like to add about consequences of having a boat sunk at the dock. At worst this likely means a destroyed engine, trolling motor, electronics and at best three expensive fried batteries.

Solar power at a dock is not simple nor inexpensive... to do right. Depending on the run from the home or out building having an electrician run AC to the dock could be less expensive and far less risky.

This thread is interesting. I've never studied electricity and don't know much about it really.

However I now have this overwhelming urge to throw a lithium battery into a bucket of water.

I just bought some extra batteries for those Ryobi cordless tools they sell at Home Depot. I've got a few of their saws and other handheld tools.

One that's really nice is a wand attachment for a hose that is similar to the car wash wand. It does a pretty good job. It also has a dry box compartment for the battery.

So if I get a bucket and do it in my driveway, will it be a big explosion or just a small fire?

jack black

Blackhawk

I say get one of those small Honda generators and just run it to keep the batteries charged while you are trolling around.
Same solution to all electric cars.... just keep a gas generator and a couple gallons of gas in the trunk.

Latest posts