Cicada hell

Help Support Ruger Forum:

RC44Mag

Buckeye
Calm before the storm here as of now. Should be any day now. Drive ya crazy but at least the big, ugly critters don't bite!

Wvfarrier

Blackhawk
All the reports are that this year is going to be BAD with cicada's

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
All the reports are that this year is going to be BAD with cicada's

Here's the brood map for N.E. MS. I'm right in the middle of it.

cbrood.jpg

Mauser9

Blackhawk
Sure sounds like a P.I.T.A. Must feel like cutting loose with a zillion shotgun shells!

gunzo

Hunter
The worst I've experienced here in the Bluegrass in my time was 1974. Nothing since has come close. From what I read, this might be the year. But so far, nothing.

Armybrat

Buckeye
Besides the usual high pitched noises, my tinnitus has sounded like loud flocks of birds and hordes of cicadas chirping & tweeting in my ears for decades.
It is so loud it is difficult for me to hear normal conversations.
24/7/365 for at least 25-30 years.
Just learned to ignore it.
So if those real critters hatch out and start their racket around here, it'll just be more background noise.

Mike J

Hunter
I have had a couple of people tell me that they are louder than usual this year but I haven't really heard it for myself. I do hear them in my yard but it seems they always come later here. I don't know why. Some years it is a dull roar & yes I am a tinnitus sufferer. My friend that lives an hour and a half Southwest of me told me it was so loud in his sister's neighborhood he thought there was some sort of alarm going off.

Cholo

Staff member
Besides the usual high pitched noises, my tinnitus has sounded like loud flocks of birds and hordes of cicadas chirping & tweeting in my ears for decades.
It is so loud it is difficult for me to hear normal conversations.
24/7/365 for at least 25-30 years.
Just learned to ignore it.
So if those real critters hatch out and start their racket around here, it'll just be more background noise.
Oh, I can so relate. Hearing aids? I can't imagine the racket I'd hear that I've never heard before. I don't think I'd want to.