I got scamed

Help Support Ruger Forum:

chuck

Blackhawk
And I feel real STUPID has anybody else ever gone through this and would be willing to tell me what to do to save the farm???? I even gave them my SS#

JFB

Hunter
the NC Attonery General makes tv spots and sends emails about contacting their office if scam is suspected.

Call your AG's office in the morning

I'll assume Oregon
https://www.doj.state.or.us/consumer-protection/scam-alert-network/scam-alert-archive/

protoolman

Service-Sixer
AGs office only collects info on scams to try to get them stopped. They will talk nice to you but will not offer much help after the fact. Details would help? Exactly what info did they get? Name? Credit Card? What?

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Call the SS office and report. They will give you a code to use on any future SS business like your taxes. Report to all those that might be involved. My wife had her information stolen and acouple of years later it is still a problem. She just got a letter from the FEO Florida Department of Economic Opportunity. Somebody used her name and SS to apply for unemployment.

chuck

Blackhawk
I gave them everything credit card, Bank account # my address, and worse of all my SS#. I have been retired and drawing my SS for 16 years. I am 83 years old and vulnerable, 2 trusting.

tracker 6

Bearcat
Start making phone calls , credit card , cancel , bank account freeze it .calls SS office . tomorrow early don't delay

NikA

Buckeye
Start by freezing your credit card accounts. Then put a freeze on your credit at the three reporting bureaus (Experience, EquiFax, and TransUnion). Call your bank and lock your account.

Not much they can do with the info you gave them if you do the above. Look forward to getting hits on people attempting to use your info for the next few years.

tracker 6

Bearcat
Once you get this squared away , I'm sure that you will , let us know what the scam was . Might help the next guy

Call the number on the back of the credit card you gave the scammer and ask to have a new card. Do it right away.

I'd call the other credit cards you have and and advise them of what happened as well. Maybe they'll have a suggestion.

chuck

Blackhawk
the scam was on my amazon account, the India from India told me by my phone their was a $140.00 charge to my acc. and it went down hill from their, Hope no one else gets scamed like I did.

chuck said:
I gave them everything credit card, Bank account # my address, and worse of all my SS#. I have been retired and drawing my SS for 16 years. I am 83 years old and vulnerable, 2 trusting.
I too am 83 and don't trust anything I see in email. I was reluctant to give my SSAN to my new doctor, in person. Today the 'scammers' are good. You have to first off NEVER click on any link on an email from an unknown source. Of course it is a little late for you now. As much as numerous members have talked about scams I would figure that forewarned is forearmed. We specifically spoke about Amazon here about two weeks ago. I even gave the email address to report scams to them.

hittman

Staff member
Don't panic.
Lesson learned. This will cost you some time but likely no money at all.

First, do NOT freeze your credit reports without knowing all the potential unintended consequences. Not saying I've never suggested a freeze to my clients/customers .... just that there's a bit to know before you take that jump.

1. Notify Amazon. Close the account and get a new one with them.
2. Change ALL your passwords for every financial account you may access on line.
3. Be smart about the passwords; random numbers, don't use same password twice, include symbols and capital letters as well as lower case, etc.
4. You can get a FREE copy of your credit reports here: https://www.annualcreditreport.com/index.action IF you think it's necessary. There is nothing to buy on this site.
5. Report your fraud to the Federal Trade Commission at: https://reportfraud.ftc.gov/#/?pid=B
6. Report your fraud to the Social Security Administration at: https://www.ssa.gov/antifraudfacts/
7. Report your fraud to the Attorney General in your state.
8. Complete a police report with your local police or sheriffs department. Do not expect them to fix this for you but, some creditors may require you to provide them with a copy of your police report if someone does charge something on your account.
9. Put a Fraud Alert on one of your credit reports (Trans Union, Equifax and Experian are the big 3 credit reporting agencies). I believe the fraud alert stays on your credit report for a year and if you do this with ONE agency, they automatically share it with the other two. The Fraud Alert is simply a note attached to your credit report that states something of the effect of: "I am a fraud or ID theft victim. do NOT extend credit in my name unless first verifying the transaction by calling me or emailing me at: ____________."
10. Notify all your current creditors (credit/debit cards, bank, credit union, mortgage holder, etc.) that you're a potential fraud victim. They will decide to either flag your account for close monitoring internally or maybe even issue you a new account number.
11. FYI about the OR Attorney General web site ~ https://www.doj.state.or.us/consumer-protection/id-theft-data-breaches/identity-theft/

Let me know if you have any questions.

chuck

Blackhawk
Thanks to all, I am in pretty good shape, about 10 more calls tomorrow and I should be good to go, nothing suspicious on any thing so far and everything is closed and new # issued

chuck said:
Thanks to all, I am in pretty good shape, about 10 more calls tomorrow and I should be good to go, nothing suspicious on any thing so far and everything is closed and new # issued

Outstanding. I'm sure you feel better, this is so common that all the institutions are very prepared to help.

Tenbore

Single-Sixer
I got about 15 calls in a row from that same Amazon scam on Sunday. I wish I could have reached through the phone lines to strangle them.