Single Six with Broken Firing pin

Help Support Ruger Forum:

tylosaurus

Bearcat
I've got a NM Single Six convertible, with what appears to be a broken firing pin. Ruger wants me to ship it back. They say ant repair fees will be determined after they see it.

Should I go ahead and send it in, or find a local Smith to work on it?

There are no major modifications to worry about them undoing, and I don't feel comfortable doing the work myself.

Thanks

hittman

Staff member
If you don't feel comfortable doing the work yourself seems you only have 2 options .....

1. Ruger
2. Your local guy

If you don't already have a local guy you KNOW is trustworthy ...... you can never ever go wrong having the factory repair it!

Me? I'd send it back to the mother ship. :lol:

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
I agree , let Ruger take care of it. They will not just fix the firing pin but check it over and report/fix anything else that needs fixing.

contender

Ruger Guru
One of the "trickier" things in replacing a firing pin is to get the retention pin back in proper alignment after the parts are replaced.
If you look inside the loading gate,,, you will see a hole. That's the diagonal hole used to drive the pin out. Look on the outside of the frame,,, opposite the loading gate,, and if you look very closely,,, you will see the polished head of the pin,,, well blended into the frame. That's the main issue, getting it back in the proper place.
I'd let Ruger do it.

I have replaced two of and can honestly say that if delecate stuff isn't your forte, have it done for you. I lightly scribed a line across the recoil shield the pin goes into and VERY carefully place a small paint mark on the pin to get it back together properly. Still a challenge.