10/22 BX Trigger Review

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I've been thinking about a BX Trigger for the wife's 10/22 for a while now, well, I had a gift certificate to ShopRuger.com and they were on sale a couple of months back so I picked one up. The pull is really light and the break is pretty crisp, the wife really liked it when I installed it. Yesterday we finally got to the range with it, I wanted to do a little testing so I took the original trigger group with. When sitting in the house you really notice how light the trigger is, to me, at the range, the trigger was too light, but my wife loved it. We each shot a couple of hundred rounds with the stock trigger and the BX trigger while standing with no rest because that's the way we always shoot. There was absolutely no discernible difference in our groups from one trigger to the other, however, once again, the wife loves the BX trigger and that's all that really matters. If you want a really nice, simple to install trigger group then I really recommend the BX, it's truly a great value for the money.

I agree with most of what you said. But, if you go to a store that sells that trigger the packet is designed so, you as a buyer can test it. I have owned 4 1022s. All factory equipment. The triggers suck. But, I will not spend 200 for a trigger in a firearm that cost slightly above that. I noted that Bi mart and Calebles sell the BX22 triggers. On sale for 60 bucks. I test fired around 10 of the triggers in the store and found they are different. I picked out the 1 that I found I liked best. I put it into a sporter model that has a 4x 1 inch scope made for a .22lr. I shoot groups half size as they were with the factory trigger. I spend another 70 bucks for upgraded KIDD parts and finally I enjoy shooting that rifle. I purchased the 1022 M1 several months ago and spend about 40 bucks in KIDD parts to fix it up to be a good shooter. Their trigger spring packet is under 10 bucks. In the end the BX22 trigger, I like alittle better. Having that 8 lbs factory trigger is great for a kid or new shooter for safety reasons but, for me I want a smooth light trigger. The BX 22 is not real smooth but, better than factory and is as they say 2.5 to 3.5 lbs pull. As you say it is up to what we like. Just stating my point of view.

Captain America said:
I've been thinking about a BX Trigger for the wife's 10/22 for a while now, well, I had a gift certificate to ShopRuger.com and they were on sale a couple of months back so I picked one up. The pull is really light and the break is pretty crisp, the wife really liked it when I installed it. Yesterday we finally got to the range with it, I wanted to do a little testing so I took the original trigger group with. When sitting in the house you really notice how light the trigger is, to me, at the range, the trigger was too light, but my wife loved it. We each shot a couple of hundred rounds with the stock trigger and the BX trigger while standing with no rest because that's the way we always shoot. There was absolutely no discernible difference in our groups from one trigger to the other, however, once again, the wife loves the BX trigger and that's all that really matters. If you want a really nice, simple to install trigger group then I really recommend the BX, it's truly a great value for the money.

I've got an assortment of triggers for my 10/22's. They are all pretty great, but also pretty expensive. As has been suggested, a $200 trigger for a $200 gun doesn't make sense. I also own a couple of the BX triggers. Not as great as the $200 triggers, but far superior to the original factory triggers. I don't think I'll buy any more high end triggers, but I'll buy and install BX triggers in a heartbeat.

WAYNO.

RUFFBIRD

Blackhawk
I installed BX ruger trigger group also & completely satisfied with it! Measured at 2-1/2 lbs with an RCBS trigger gauge & no creep. I would have to recommend the BX for your consideration as viable choice!

The rabbits, grouse & tin cans don't like it much.... :lol:

ditto1958

Blackhawk
The BX trigger seems to take a lot of heat for some reason. I bought one, and I'm happy with it. No, the BX trigger is not a Kidd or a Volquartsen. But it also doesn't cost more than my entire 10/22 did.

My BX trigger is noticeably better than the stock trigger, and well worth the $60 I paid for it.

ditto1958 said:
The BX trigger seems to take a lot of heat for some reason. I bought one, and I'm happy with it. No, the BX trigger is not a Kidd or a Volquartsen. But it also doesn't cost more than my entire 10/22 did.

My BX trigger is noticeably better than the stock trigger, and well worth the $60 I paid for it.

I'd bet it takes the most heat from the folks that have never owned one, and need to get their post count up. :mrgreen:

One of the amazing things about the BX trigger is that it shows that the folks at Ruger are pretty much marketing geniuses... just plain brilliant from an aftermarket sales idea..... I bet for years in planning sessions they discussed how bad the trigger on the factory 10/22 was and discussed fixing this .... and would weigh the cost against the gain.... then someone came up with the idea of just sell everyone another trigger group.

And yes, I bought one too....

The one thing I have a problem with is the hold the bolt open feature.... a really poor design that just like the poor trigger pull they seem to keep... and it the problem I would fix along with the pull.

Blume, you can fix that for under 15 bucks. Go to KIDD 1022 parts. It is easy and while apart clean the heck out of the inner parts. It will change the action so, after the bolt is locked back, you just pull the bolt handle to release the bolt. No more 2 hands needed to get the rifle back into battery.

ditto1958

Blackhawk
WAYNO said:
ditto1958 said:

I'd bet it takes the most heat from the folks that have never owned one, and need to get their post count up. :mrgreen:

Prolly so.

kmoore said:
Blume, you can fix that for under 15 bucks. Go to KIDD 1022 parts. It is easy and while apart clean the heck out of the inner parts. It will change the action so, after the bolt is locked back, you just pull the bolt handle to release the bolt. No more 2 hands needed to get the rifle back into battery.

kmoore, you can also fix it for nothing with either a round file or dremil tool:

Thanks, I realized that was a possibility after I got the part and looked it over with the factory part. Those dremil tools sure are handy for gun stuff.

rugerguy211

Single-Sixer
I bought a BX for my 10/22. The trigger pull weight went from 6.5 to 2.5 pounds.
As someone already mentioned, the packaging is designed so you can test the trigger weight before buying. I tried several, found the 2.5 pounder and bought it. The others all ranged in the specified 2.5 to 3.5 pounds.
The factory trigger at 6.5 pounds was smooth and consistent, but the rifle was being used in competition and the lighter trigger was helpful to me shooting off hand at 200 yards.
I've never understood all the grief Ruger 10/22 triggers get. Mine is a 1983 model so maybe they were better back then, or maybe mine is worn in, but 6.5 pounds for anything other than the 200 yards shooting was fine for me in other competitions.
On the other hand, a 2016 10/22 Take Down also has a 6.5 pound trigger that is smooth and consistent. Am I lucky, or just not as sensitive as others to trigger issues? I don't know, but the bottom line is a like the BX trigger.

Thanks Blume357, for posting the mods to a factory bolt release. I have 4 sitting around and a friend wants to change his. Now I do not need to take mine apart to see the difference.