Carbine Max effictive distance question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

norfolknova

Single-Sixer
I picked up a carbine in .40S&W this weekend. i wish it were a Ruger but it is not. It is a High Point. I mostly bought it for plinking and target shooting.

So I am just curious what you guys think would be the max effective range of this round would be?

I did shoot about 300 rounds through it today with no problems at all

Thanks

Matt

Pal Val

Buckeye
Max efective range? Hard to determine for a non-military firearm. I would place it at about 150/200 yards.

JFB

Hunter
for referance to sight in distance, instead of max effective range you want to use maximun point blank range. to determine that, you need to state the maximun target circle you require and sight/barrel height

norfolknova

Single-Sixer
I was just wondering about light hunting, Maybe wild boar or other small game to midsize game.

Yes I realize that there are other more suitable hunting specific calibers and wepons made for that.

Was just curious is i were to be out and had this on me haw well a semi-auto hndgun load would do at distance.

I know handghun rounds are made more forshorter range, but would the round achieve higher velocity out of the rifle barrel versus the shorter handgun barrel

matt

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
I have heard the 9mm has a stability problem out past 50 yards and I suspect the 40 S&W would have the same problem but it might be good out to 100 yards. The 357 and 44 mag have an effective hunting range only out to about 150 yards because of bullet drop. I believe pistol caliber rifles work well for hunting deer and hogs but only at a limited range. The 9mm and 40 S&W don't have enough case capacity to allow enough powder to take advantage of a longer barrel. 8) 8)

...Jimbo

Snake45

Hawkeye
norfolknova said:
I was just wondering about light hunting, Maybe wild boar or other small game to midsize game.

matt
I'd think .40 S&W would be a bit light for boar, but since I've never hunted them, I really have no idea. :?

For other "light to midsize" game, I'd think you'd be good to at least 50 yards, and as far beyond that as you can actully hit the things. :?

txpitdog

Single-Sixer
While wild hogs are not mythical creatures that require a 50cal to take down, the 40S&W is just not an option for anything past 25yds, and that's if you can put it between the eye and the ear.

You would be better off with a 357mag handgun or a 223 carbine for dropping a hog. Otherwise, you are more likely to condemn the animal to a wound that may be fatal, but not for several days.

Rabbits, squirrel, maybe even coyotes should be no problem out to whatever range you can hit them at.

RJ556

Buckeye
I have not tried any hunting with a 9mm and don't intend to, but as far as stability goes, I had a Beretta CX4 carbine that I shot regularly at 100 yards. With a red dot sight, I could hold 10 shots in roughly 4" at that distance. This was with powder measure thrown Unique charged 115 grain FMJ loads. With recoil almost nonexistant, pistol caliber carbines are easy to shoot well.

Lateck

Single-Sixer
I own a Kel-Tec Sub-2000 in both 9mm and .40S&W.
100 yards is about all I plan on (although it can reach 150).
It would be good for two legged problems or very small four legged out at 100 yards... (IMHO)

Under 100 yards, it would be ok for small game...

Good Luck and have fun.

Lateck,

Lloyd Smale

Blackhawk
using a 40sw in a handgun id say 25 max. In a rifle your going to get a bit more velocity and loaded with a good bullet id think that it would take care of pigs or deer at 50 yards. I would guess that loaded with a 200 grain cast bullet a 40 out of a rifle would be giving you power levels simular to a 41 mag out of a handgun. Just stay away from some of the quicker expanding bullets. i know one oldtimer here thats hunted deer for about 10 years with a marlin camp carbine in 9mm. He says his shots are never over about 35 yards and hes yet to loose a deer shot with it. Not my idea of a deer rifle but hes sure proud of it.

mattsbox99

Hunter
I know plenty of people that have never shot a deer with anything larger than a .22LR. A .17HMR will cleanly take one out to 100 yards or better.

Major T

Blackhawk
Stand behind someone shooting it for you, while you look at a target using a good binocular, at about 50 - 100 yards. You should be able to see the bullet in flight (or at least some of them.) I think when you see the arc of the trajectory, you will forget the 150 yard business. jack

Pal Val

Buckeye
The one hog I shot took three .44mag slugs to drop. I would consider a .40S&W a bit on the light side. I was shooting down from a tree stand and the gristle shield all but stopped the slugs before they did any real harm.

MedicYeti

Bearcat
I can hit and explode water jugs, pumpkins and mellons at 150 yards with my PC4. I have noticed a significant loss of explosion and accuracy beyond the 150 yard mark.

sigp220.45

Single-Sixer
I was teaching a patrol rifle class, and for the hay of it I shot against the M4 guys with my issue MP5/10mm on metal-man silhouettes. Headshots were easy at 50, center mass was doable at 100, and with enough sighting shots and a prodigious amount of holdover I could hit the 300 yard guys more often than not.

I'm not sure about how your Hi-Point shoots, but I could keep somebody's head down pretty far out with that H&K.

Hunting is another matter - I don't think I'd stretch it past 100 yards shooting at a game animal.