New to forum and new to Mini 14.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

m1a_scoutguy

Bearcat
I am new here and l just purchased a NIB Mini-14. So far so good,really like the rifle. I have mounted a scope and have been to the range a bunch of times with it and after the 1st outing where I had a few issues it has been 100% since that 1st trip. Considering it is NIB and I see all the info about the 181 models and all the other numbered models what is mine considered or how do I find out? Thanks for that info. Its accurate enough and I understand the limits of this great rifle but just wondering if or what is the best improvement if I decided to do "anything" to it. Here is a quick pic from the other day & I will get some range reports/target pics on my next trip,Spring has finally sprung up in my neck of the woods,LOL
20240517_143931.jpg

m1a_scoutguy

Bearcat
Yea it does look high. Actually it lines up pretty good. I'm a decent size guy so I hate having to crunch down when getting behind the scope. I believe they are Med rings but will double check cuz yes it "looks" high in the pic and even I say/think that when looking at it,LOL I'm sure as the summer moves along I will adjust and change things up,scope/rings included. I'm hoping EuroOptics.com does there 50% off Vortex for Vets/LEOs over this coming weekend & if so I plan on grabbing something a bit more powerful and better quality,although for the price the Athlon's are pretty decent. Thanks again for the kind words. ;)

epags

Single-Sixer
You must have the mate of mine...also bought in 1978 (181-027XX).
Early on, I met a guy who convinced me to have the barrel and receiver cryogenically treated. That, a trigger job and some shimming of the wood to metal brought me to 1 MOA with handloads.....good enough. There are a couple of other dedicated mini 14 websites you might want to explore for rabbit holes to go down....try googleing the subject.

m1a_scoutguy

Bearcat
You must have the mate of mine...also bought in 1978 (181-027XX).
Early on, I met a guy who convinced me to have the barrel and receiver cryogenically treated. That, a trigger job and some shimming of the wood to metal brought me to 1 MOA with hand-loads.....good enough. There are a couple of other dedicated mini 14 websites you might want to explore for rabbit holes to go down....try googling the subject.
Ah,now ya got me thinking,LOL My Son works at as place where they cryo stuff! Not sure if they take outside work not sure if there gun friendly but I will ask! So you would agree that it "helps"? I'm sure it was awhile ago but I'll ask,do you remember where you sent it and how much it cost? Any details about what/how they did it and to what degree? Not critical but figured I would ask. I will snoop around for sure but not that big a deal at the moment but more info is always good. I also will look into shimming the action/stock,I know I have done it with loose fitting M1 rifles I have and it did help. Thanks again.

larry8

Single-Sixer
Yes, that is a good rifle. I had a Mini 30 a while back and really liked it, but just before I moved I had to sell it. Now I would like to get the MINI 14 tactical, but the price just pushes me away.

epags

Single-Sixer
Ah,now ya got me thinking,LOL My Son works at as place where they cryo stuff! Not sure if they take outside work not sure if there gun friendly but I will ask! So you would agree that it "helps"? I'm sure it was awhile ago but I'll ask,do you remember where you sent it and how much it cost? Any details about what/how they did it and to what degree? Not critical but figured I would ask. I will snoop around for sure but not that big a deal at the moment but more info is always good. I also will look into shimming the action/stock,I know I have done it with loose fitting M1 rifles I have and it did help. Thanks again.
mia_scoutguy said: Where and how much. Sorry but the where is long lost in the mists of time, however, the how much is recorded in my records as $165 plus shipping two ways from the West coast to somewhere in the USofA. Given how long ago it was done, I suspect the cost will have increased unless your son can cut a deal.
As to did it help, I say yes since as you continue to shoot there are no (or fewer) stresses in the barrel to create strange harmonics. Having said that"
1716311995347.gif

m1a_scoutguy

Bearcat
LOL,yea I hear ya. I'll do some more research and see whats up on many aspects on the Mini! I know right now I'm not disappointed with it and enjoy it every time I take it out. Will update as the summer moves along. Thanks for the info & I will see my son this weekend and bend his ear about it,LOL.

epags

Single-Sixer
LOL,yea I hear ya. I'll do some more research and see whats up on many aspects on the Mini! I know right now I'm not disappointed with it and enjoy it every time I take it out. Will update as the summer moves along. Thanks for the info & I will see my son this weekend and bend his ear about it,LOL.
Here is how I outfitted mine with a scope
Ruger Mini-14 5.56 -1.JPG

m1a_scoutguy

Bearcat
Here is how I outfitted mine with a scope
View attachment 46269
Love it!! Love the wood hand-guard,like ya say a Mini M14/M1a! I have a couple M1a's myself and there among my favorite rifles. I'll get my Mini sorted out,,just shimmed the stock and checked the gas cap screws. Have a few more pet loads with some diff bullets and we will see. Thanks for the pic!

Guv

Bearcat
Try and avoid 55gr ammo and get some 62+gr. I had a Ranch Rifle some 30 years ago that grouped really well with Winchester 64gr Power Point. The guy I bought it from said it was not very accurate, he was shooting 55gr FMJ.
Congratulations on a beautiful rifle, I still miss mine 😡

protoolman

Service-Sixer
That step on the barrel is where the bayonet mount sits on the GB model (govt model) guns. The barrels all have the rough lathe turned look on the outside. Great, reliable guns but accuracy on some is maybe like 4-5 moa. The barrel strut exists to help with that. Some gunsmiths used to put fat barrels on them which made them quite accurate. The problem on the older models was the thin noodle barrel. I've never got an answer if you can put a newer fatter barrel on an older model.