Concerning clocks............

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
Yesterday was my "wellness check up" so graciously granted to me by Medicare. For those of y'all not having reached the glorius age to receive Medicare, there is a multiple choice questionaire to determine your physical and mental state, which determines how well you can fend for yourself. Then, on the back, you are asked to draw a clock, then show hands for 8:20. Having drawn circles (grain silos and bins) the circle was no problem. Then I located each hour at ninety degree points, and filled in the remaining numerals. All of this I did in magnificent style.

The nurse admired my work, then commented many younger folks try to draw a digital clock. (Younger folks doing a wellness check?)

All of this leading up to my story: Years ago I had a young child visiting in my home. A girl, about four or five years old. She announced to me, "I can tell time."

"Really?" I responded, "what time is it?" She replied, "Its nine forty three." Now it was nearer to the Noon hour, I knew. But my stereo was tuned to FM 94.3.

Bob Wright

edm1

Single-Sixer
I think it's funny that people draw a digital clock. As I post this it is 1:28 EST. So I'm healthy..

Now, draw a clock with Roman numerals, showing 8:20.

Just minutes ago, I changed the battery in our large clock with Roman numerals. It was no problem setting the time, but there was a problem seeing all those V's and I's all ran together and upside down for the hours between 3 and 9, with my cataracts and Astigmatism. Across the room, I can see the time plainly, just because of the position of the hands and numbers. Up close, with the clock on the counter, not so much. It took me two tries.

What is the time now? Quick.
thumbnail.jpg

thumbnail.jpg

Last edited:

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
Now, draw a clock with Roman numerals, showing 8:20.

Just minutes ago, I changed the battery in our large clock with Roman numerals. It was no problem setting the time, but there was a problem seeing all those V's and I's all ran together and upside down for the hours between 3 and 9, with my cataracts and Astigmatism. Across the room, I can see the time plainly, just because of the position of the hands and numbers. Up close, with the clock on the counter, not so much. It took me two tries.
Top clock reads 11:04; watch 11:14.

Bob Wright

Yesterday was my "wellness check up" so graciously granted to me by Medicare. For those of y'all not having reached the glorius age to receive Medicare, there is a multiple choice questionaire to determine your physical and mental state, which determines how well you can fend for yourself. Then, on the back, you are asked to draw a clock, then show hands for 8:20. Having drawn circles (grain silos and bins) the circle was no problem. Then I located each hour at ninety degree points, and filled in the remaining numerals. All of this I did in magnificent style.

The nurse admired my work, then commented many younger folks try to draw a digital clock. (Younger folks doing a wellness check?)

All of this leading up to my story: Years ago I had a young child visiting in my home. A girl, about four or five years old. She announced to me, "I can tell time."

"Really?" I responded, "what time is it?" She replied, "Its nine forty three." Now it was nearer to the Noon hour, I knew. But my stereo was tuned to FM 94.3.

Bob Wright
I always ask them if they want an analog clock or digital.

Now the hard part. AM or PM?
When the electricity goes off and I have to reset the clock on my oven, it always asks AM or PM. Not sure why because it isn't displayed or anything.

We had a car once that showed the time and date. WITH the year!!! Just in case I forgot what year it is I suppose.

The first time I was asked to write down time during my wellness check. She never said on a clock. I can't remember what time she said, but I did by it like this: 11:45am. I got it the time right. She then said No, on a clock with hands. That was still easy.

At my dr's office they always have the "are you sad" questionnaire thingie in the packet of busywork they give while waiting on the dr (who's late, again). I have never filled it out. They haven't said anything about it yet.

bobski

Hunter
my mother , 96, holds a cheap wall clock on her lap w/o numbers. i have to take a piece of elec-tape and put it on 12 so she knows to aim it up....or she'll be seeing different times every time she picks it up. (follow me?) sorta like what wayno posted.

v35

Bearcat
There is something wrong with the Roman numerals on that clock. I'll let others figure out what it is. Bonus points for describing the reason.

There is something wrong with the Roman numerals on that clock. I'll let others figure out what it is. Bonus points for describing the reason.
Are you talking about the "V" in 4, 5, 6, 7 and 8 being upside down? Why? I suppose originally it would have been designed on a sundial flat on the ground where the "V" wouldn't be upside down.

Johnnu2

Hunter
I go for an annual "Wellness Check" every year. Part of the initial interview is to ask me to remember 3 words (which she will ask me to repeat at the end of the interview). Before she tells me the three words, I ask her if they are "chair, banana, sunrise". She says "yes, that's them".... She thinks that I remembered them from LAST YEAR. I don't tell them that I write them on my calendar for the annual appointment and make sure I have them 'ready' for her each year :). Maybe it's THEM what needs some brain power; it wouldn't take much of it for them to change the three words each year... :rolleyes:
p.s. At my age, no trouble with doing the analog clock........... probably wouldn't do digital very well :cool:
J.

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
Most clocks and warthces use "IIII" for the 4:00 o'clock position, for no good reason than they think it looks better. But that clock crrectly shows "IV" for four o'clock.

Bob Wright

pyth0n

Buckeye
I wonder the reaction if the answer was given based on a 24 hr clock.
"Well Doc, do you mean 0820 or 2020. Be specific Doc" Paraphrasing a scene from John Travolta in Phenomenon. 🤡