Fastest bolt action?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

According to 'the old timers', the British SMLE was the fastest firing bolt action battle rifle. Credited to the cock on closing powered by stronger arm muscles than the cock on opening design.

It's not just the cock-on-closing - my antique Lee-Enfield has an incredibly smooth action, slicker than any Krag (or any other bolt action rifle) I've ever seen:

"The term 'Mad Minute' was also used to describe a regular demonstration, by instructors at the School of Musketry at Hythe, Kent that was intended to show officer trainees the maximum rate of accurate fire that could be achieved by an expert with a service rifle.

The first Mad Minute record was set by Sergeant Major Jesse Wallingford in 1908, scoring 36 hits on a 48-inch target at 300 yards (4.5 mils/ 15.3 moa).[1]

Another world record of 38 hits, all within the 24 inch target at 300 yards (2.25 mils/ 7.6 moa), is said to have been set in about 1914 by a Sergt.-Instructor Snoxall.[2] 'Sergt.-Instructor Snoxall' was probably Sergeant Frank Snoxell of the Loyal North Lancashire Regiment, who was an instructor at the School of Musketry from October 1913 until January 1917." (link below)

He should watch guys on the NM 200 yd or 300 yd line firing rapid fire with a bolt action. For many years those guys were firing 3006s and some are not only fast they can score 100%.

s4s4u

Hunter
Fastest bolt action operator? That was me, my first deer season, carrying a sporterized 303 British. First deer I saw, on the run, 10 rounds off fast as I could run the bolt. Did not draw a hair, hahaha...

Last edited: