Powder Dispensers?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

First of all, this forum is such a great wealth of information. Thanks for all the feedback, it is read and appreciated.

Now, at my gun range, the manager is wanting to start some sort of reloading area for people who might not have their own equipment at home. So he is wanting donations.

Fine by me. It's a good excuse for me to donate good usable equipment at home and upgrade. One piece I'm going to donate is an RCBS Chargemaster powder dispenser. It's still quite accurate but must be 10 years old now.

I see they have changed the electric dispensers. RCBS has one for over $800. Holy Cow!

Then they have a "Charge Master Supreme" for half that, which is what I paid for mine way back when.

My current RCBS dispenser has been so great over the years, I would probably stay with RCBS, but are there any other electric dispensers worth checking out?

Does anyone else use an electric dispenser? I still use my RCBS turret press when loading say just 50 rounds of 41 magnum. And the Chargemaster really does very well for tasks like that.

contender

Ruger Guru
Well, long ago,, I studied the electronic powder dispensers,, and settled upon the Lyman DPSII. After it was stolen,, I got the DPS III. I use it mostly for what little rifle caliber ammo I load. I have used it when I was carefully & precisely loading some magnum handgun calibers too.
It has been excellent & I'd not hesitate to replace it again.

For something generally available to people I would recommend something simple and inexpensive. My Lee Perfect powder measure is as consistent as just about anything out there except maybe the $800 digital setups and a Lee or maybe a digital scalefor verifying the setting. It only takes a few minutes to adjust the settings to get the desired charge and I can throw as many as I want as fast as I can handle the brass. This is what I take to the range along with the chronograph with prepped and primed brass and my hand press. I would be somewhat concerned about liability. Reloading is a very serious pursuit a simple mistake can be catastrophic. The commitment to equipping yourself and amassing workable data is important. Can you get away with a set of Lee scoops and a set of dies? Sure if you aren't too picky. I consider a decent scale and a chronograph the most important things to have.

Butterfield

Bearcat
I have a Lyman Gen 6 electronic powder measure. Have been very happy with it.
Check them out.

I have an RCBS turret press also that I use as a single stage. Nice not to have to
swap the dies in and out

Just thought you might like to see what 5 Grand will get you. Gen II Prometheus. It will throw a charge within one granule of powder every six to seven seconds.

Attachments

• IMG_2232.jpeg
    IMG_2232.jpeg
    300.2 KB · Views: 126
I use the RCBS Charge Master. But here's the problem, like anything with electronics. Read the fine print. It likely will have a limited warranty compared to the companies non electronic equipment. RCBS follows that model. My Charge Master keypad started failing at about 6 years. It was out of warranty. I took it apart and repaired some connections. At about 10 years it wouldn't work at all. There is an Independant company that will completely fix anything wrong with them. They take over a month to get it back to you. I did that and also purchased a new one so I could keep loading ammo during that time. I ended up selling the older unit for more than the repairs cost and the guy is still happy with it. I also learned that could happen and purchased a manual powder dispenser just incase.
When I talked to RCBS, the guy said I should not keep the Charge Master in the unheated garage during winter.

@kmoore It sounds like you got your money's worth on the 10 year old Chargemaster. Mine has been sitting in the garage for that long also. Ingested and not cooled in the summertime either.

Side note: I DO NOT store any powder or primers in the garage. They are inside in climate and humidity controlled space.

I used to have a mechanical balance beam scale, I'll probably get another along with a new electric dispenser. And also store them inside the house when not in use. That's a good idea, thanks.

For equipment going into a general use area, where you don't know what the experience level of the people using the equipment is, I would go with manual stuff, less of a learning curve, less chance to do something wrong. I would suggest to the club, have several decent manual powder measures and good digital and/or mechanical scales. You could also have an "advanced" area for those who are ready to move up.

I have the Lyman DPSII (still going strong) AND a RCBS Uniflow, RCBS Lil' Dandy, and even some Lee powder scoops (I think I even have the tables for them somewhere :) ). Also have an extra digital scale as well as a RCBS and Redding beam scale to go along with my single stage presses and Lee Breech Lock hand held press so if the power were ever to go out for a long time, I could still reload whatever I want, when I want.

Ron, yes you are correct. I sent the manager an email. If people know how to reload, they probably have their own equipment at home. So using the club's equipment will be newbies.

I'm also donating my Hornaday progressive press. It's good but I should have bought a pretty blue one. 😀 I'm using this as an opportunity to upgrade.

But it isn't exactly a beginner's press.

Actually now that I'm thinking about it, I should also buy just a simple single stage press. They aren't expensive, and it would let beginners more easily understand the process.

I also suggested to the manager he have some Saturday classes for people wanting to learn.

He loved that idea. We shall see what happens. We have a nice air conditioned shed at the range. It's one of those converted storage containers. So it's plenty large enough.

I balance beam is also good to have as a backup and a second look at the electronic powder measures. I do that once and awhile. I sold a lot of reloading stuff when not used any longer or need for more room.

Lost Sheep

Single-Sixer
I agree with the previously expressed thoughts about experience level of people who do not own their own gear. Simple is better. When teaching a new reloader/handloader, I start them out with a bowl of powder, powder scoops, balance beam scale and a powder trickler; such gear demands the operator measure each charge - no exceptions. Slow, but dead simple and as failure-free as one can get. (Maintenance of shared complex equipment might be a point of debate, yes? Also, learning curve of electronic gear may be problematic.)

I apply the same kind of thinking to progressive presses (and even turret) vs single stage.

The exception to the new loader is maybe someone temporarily away from owned equipment (out of town, in storage, etc).

extex

Bearcat
I have the Hornady that came with my 007 package. I weigh a lot to make sure it's consistent.

Attachments

• IMG_0829.jpg
    IMG_0829.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 33