Tools&Targets: This AMMO RUINED My Barrel!😠 Winchester White Box .22lr Consistency Test With the Sig P322!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Pat-inCO

Hawkeye
Did you clean the barrel before running your tests?
I had a brand new SR22P that shot the first few like a target gun. By the second magazine
is was a pattern (shot gun type) rather than a group. - - - SEVERAL cleaning sessions later
I went back out to the range and it worked perfectly.

My guess was some el-cheapo test ammo at the factory.
(I run Winchester ammo)

hpman66

Hunter
Did you clean the barrel before running your tests?
I had a brand new SR22P that shot the first few like a target gun. By the second magazine
is was a pattern (shot gun type) rather than a group. - - - SEVERAL cleaning sessions later
I went back out to the range and it worked perfectly.

My guess was some el-cheapo test ammo at the factory.
(I run Winchester ammo)

The P322 barrel used in the video test is also a new barrel.

Last edited:

unionprez

Single-Sixer
I bought a box of Winchester 333 ammo about 4 or 5 years ago and took it to the range with my Mark I target and my Mark II target. I have shot both of these guns for years (the Mark I is from 1976 and the Mark II from 1984) and literally have never had a failure to fire or failure to eject with either gun. When I tried using the Winchesters, I have 12 magazines for each pistol and could not empty a single magazine with either gun. Some wouldn't fire and some wouldn't eject and one round had a muffled bang and never cycled the action. I dropped the mag and pulled the slide back, the casing came out with the bullet still in it and the brass split open from about halfway down the casing down to the rim. That's when I called it quits with the Winchesters. Out of curiosity, I loaded 2 mags for each gun with CCI's and emptied all of them with no issues at all.

I called Winchester and finally got a manager on the phone and they paid me to send the rest of the box back to them and they sent me a check to cover the cost of the ammo. At least they did that much, but I have never bought any rimfire ammo with the Winchester name on the box. Too bad because when I was a kid, all we ever used was Winchester Super X and Winchester Wildcats and they were great. No misfires or problems. Oh, the good old days.

contender

Ruger Guru
The title is mis-leading. The barrel isn't "ruined" but severely leaded up. Gee,, that means he has to actually work at cleaning it.
He never mentioned the distance from the gun to the Chrono,, so I wonder about his comments about the powder or whatever causing errors in the readings.
His rapid firing could also be part of he errors in his Chrono.

Now,, I'm also curious about the gun, and specifically,, the barrel. If a new barrel,, did he clean it prior to use? Did he study the bore prior to use? What about after the test,, AND careful deep cleaning. A good bore scope,, (not just a light,) to see what the internal rifling looked like.

And yes,, any company can have a bad lot of ammo, or even produce a lower quality ammo, that can be a problem.

I guess I have more questions about the test,, plus the mis-leading title causing me to discount a lot of his results.

When I see a headline like that, I immediately want to watch it in its entirety (which is what they want) to see how he PROVES that it was the ammo which ruined his barrel. As Contender said, the barrel has NOT been ruined, he shot the crap out of it with .22LR ammo which is KNOWN to be dirty and WILL affect the barrel if you don't perform ROUTINE maintenance on it. Heck, when shooting PPC, between stages (max rounds fired per stage was 24 IIRC) we cleaned our revolvers and we were shooting 148 grain Lead HBWC which can lead up a barrel quickly. I too take a hard look at his results and wonder about them.

Pat-inCO

Hawkeye
Thus my question: Did you clean it before shooting the first time?
As I indicated in my first post, I had ONE gun that required cleaning, because it leaded
up VERY quickly (two ten shot magazines), BUT has performed flawlessly since a
very complete cleaning (four sessions).

Obviously you did not clean it first (most do not need it, but a few DO).

Once again, my speculation, they test fired it with crappy ammo, at the factory.

hpman66

Hunter
Thus my question: Did you clean it before shooting the first time?
As I indicated in my first post, I had ONE gun that required cleaning, because it leaded
up VERY quickly (two ten shot magazines), BUT has performed flawlessly since a
very complete cleaning (four sessions).

Obviously you did not clean it first (most do not need it, but a few DO).

Once again, my speculation, they test fired it with crappy ammo, at the factory.
I was not the one doing the shooting and it wasn't my pistol. I just posted the video for the benefit of anyone who might have purchased a P322 and might have similar problems. I too have had that problem on a new Ruger pistol( I was using Remington Thunderbolts). I too cleaned it thoroughly and had no further problems. Thereafter, when breaking in a new firearm, I first clean it thoroughly and then fire-lap the barrel with a few rounds coated with extra fine grit lapping compound. This polishes the bored and removes roughness & burs in lands and grooves. I also try to use copper washed ammo as much as possible to reduce barrel fouling. As far as Winchester ammo, about the only problems I've had with it would be Winchester Xperts and numerous FTF's.

Last edited:
I purchased a .22lr Walther/ Smith & Wesson semi auto handgun maybe 20 -25 years ago. It did the same. I send the gun back and after it shot fine. At the time I told a Gunsmith friend about that leading up problem. He said some .22 lr barrels made in Europe have the wrong shape or style of feed ramp and they will lead up a barrel quick. This is the second time I have read about extreme leading in a .22 handgun, makes me wonder? I don't know if that barrel was US or European made.

That guys accent in the video, I seriously thought he was saying "Jail" and not "Gel."

I don't know where he is located, but holy cow, that is one THICK accent.