What animal made this noise?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I'm not sure but it made the hair stand up on the back of my neck. Living on the edge of 12-15K acres of basically uninhabited creek bottoms, I hear 'stuff' that isn't easily explained.
Some of the sounds did have a 'feline-ish' sound while others not so much. Other sounds could be a dog as might be expected in a neighborhood setting.

thor's daddy

Bearcat
If I'm seeing this correctly, that's a video played back on a home computer, captured as a video on a mobile phone, and posted to YouTube. That's a fair bit of downsampling there.

I'm probably not being very neighborly here, but I think some folks should just go outside once and a while.

edit to add: I used to trail run during my dinner breaks, which were at night. It's a wild world out there, but nothing one should be scared of.

The living corpse of San Francisco Ca USA
When I was in college my roommates and I had an "intact" tomcat that would make sounds like that when he was horny, which was most of the time. He would yowl down the lightwell of our building; the sounds were remarkably similar to those in that video. He did have a set of pipes on him!
I imagine a lynx or bobcat could sound like that....

When I was in college my roommates and I had an "intact" tomcat that would make sounds like that when he was horny, which was most of the time. He would yowl down the lightwell of our building; the sounds were remarkably similar to those in that video. He did have a set of pipes on him!
I imagine a lynx or bobcat could sound like that....
It is amazing the range of sounds that a little bobcat can come out with. Everything from an 80s scream queen cry to someone from a demon possession horror movie. Then you see this small critter that is not huge.

contender

Ruger Guru
Having spent most of my life in the woods & around wildlife,, I too have heard all kinds of noises. Many happen to be sounds not "normally" associated with what we THINK an animal makes.
In fact,, many animals have a larger vocabulary of sounds than we'd ever consider. Talk to people who use game calls to attract wild game.

With that,, I'd say if the sound was "clean" and unaltered by the recording devices,, I'd say that it's most likely a bobcat, and I agree,, very likely a male.

No idea, but I don't think I'd go outside to have a look. We have a neighbor at our campground who has a deaf Boston terrier. That poor thing barks like a child screaming. I even warned new campers so they wouldn't think someone was being murdered.

BearBiologist

Hunter
I'm leaning towards a cat. Not discounting a dog.

We were hunting wild pigs (wife and I) and heard a screaming sound from down the canyon. We had to go through the canyon to our ride. We felt "OK" because I had my 300 Win W Mag. and a .45 Blackhawk and she had her 7x57 Mauser and a 357 Mag. When we got down, our buddy was so scared, he refused to unlock the door, so my wife could get it. We both had to ride in the bed back to camp.

I heard a mountain lion scream one night in a deer camp in Monterey County. Sounded like an insane woman being murdered with an ax (or, I suppose!!). Hear a jaguar cough as he followed us in Guatemala in'96. Itis not either of those.