¿¿9mms amo shortage??

Help Support Ruger Forum:

grobin

Blackhawk
DHS HAS issued a contract to Speer for 120 million gold for 9mm rounds of 124 grain ammo. Will it be a shortage of just a speed bump?

ncvikingfan

Single-Sixer
If I purchase a large amount, only a speed bump. If I don't purchase any, all out total disappearance of 9MM period!

Scarce as "hens teeth"!!!!

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
The contract is for 5 years. DHS agencies won't get it all at once. Works out to 24 million per year spread out over all agencies. Speer is perfectly capable of providing this without any impact on civilian ammo at all.

Can somebody actually find an answer to what they are going to do with all that ammo? Not speculation but possibly find and official answer which will probably have to do with training and then do the math of how much practicing every homeland security person would have to do to shoot up all that ammo....

Probably just has to do with some Senator on a certain committee represents 'the people' in the area where the Speer plant is located. There I speculated anyway.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
blume357 said:
Can somebody actually find an answer to what they are going to do with all that ammo? Not speculation but possibly find and official answer which will probably have to do with training and then do the math of how much practicing every homeland security person would have to do to shoot up all that ammo....

Probably just has to do with some Senator on a certain committee represents 'the people' in the area where the Speer plant is located. There I speculated anyway.

I doubt they even know. They have around 229,000 employees (not all get a gun tho) and a $40.6 billion annual budget (as of 2017). I suspect a good portion of that ammo grows legs.

louchia

Single-Sixer
Speer is one of many ammo manufacturers. The new contract just replaces an old contract that ran out.

Clovishound

Blackhawk
I was in Wally World yesterday and they had Federal aluminum case 9mm for $33 and change. And that was for a box of 200. Tula steel case was under $8 a box of 50. Plenty on the shelf. They even had lots of .22lr.

louchia

Single-Sixer
Seems to be plenty out there at a good price. Now would be a good time to buy, bulk if you can. According to Visto which owns several ammo makers, prices will be going up
as of Apr. 1,. The reason, copper and lead prices are on the rise

rangerbob

Buckeye
There is a lot of imported ammo coming into the country from S&B, PPU, Fiochhi, and others. There is no shortage at the distributor level. One distributor is selling CCI brass cased ammo in 1000 round loose back boxes at a very good price. Even W-W, Remington, and Federal ammo is readily available in 1000 round cases. I think now would be the time to stock up. Bob! 8)

SR1911SHOOTER

Blackhawk
grobin said:
DHS HAS issued a contract to Speer for 120 million gold for 9mm rounds of 124 grain ammo. Will it be a shortage of just a speed bump?

Grob,
Speed bump!
With so many new sub compact and mid compact and full size 9MMs I would imagine
that all the ammo plants are going full steam ahead.
Blackie

SR1911SHOOTER

Blackhawk
blume357 said:

blume,
If I had a like button on here, I would hit it with a hammer about a jillion times.
You hit the nail on the head.
I hope President Trump hurries and drains "The Swamp"!
Blackie
Blackie

louchia

Single-Sixer
Maybe that's not as much as it seems. According to the DHS web page, they employ over 240,000 employees.If one in ten carried a fire arm, that would be 24,000 people.
The 120,000,000 contract is for 5 years. that's 24,000,000/yr
Divide that by 24,000 who carry.
That comes to 1,000 rnds/yr per man.
??

I doubt if it is one in ten that carry... but I guess that 1,000 a person is not too bad... I'm thinking of taking a one day class at the Sig academy this summer that says I will need 600 rounds of ammo for that. 4 day defensive hand gun class at Front Sight you go through at least 600 rounds and their really is not a lot of shooting the first day or so.

grobin

Blackhawk
The ammo is being purchased by ICE: that includes; the Air Marshal Service, Coast Guard, Customs and Border Protection, the Federal Law Enforcement Training Center and the Secret Service. Most of these have many more folks who need to requalify than who are issued pistols.
e.g. the Coast Guard can have 10 or more sailors who need to be qualified per pistol on a cutter. An acquaintance (now retired) was a lawyer for them and he got a extra pay if he qualified. Looks like primarily expensive training.

Although CBP may need a lot of rounds to protect the wall from coyotes :wink: and other critters. ICE may fire a lot of rounds putting down sized laptops with dangerioues content.

grobin

Blackhawk
BTW what are some good sources for practice ammo, 1000 or more OK. Needs to be reloadable! The best I find is $0.21/ .

tinman

Buckeye
That ammo is not solely for duty issue. Ya'll seem to forget re-qualifications (which can be yearly, bi-annual or even quarterly) rookie classes, instructor courses, Tactical (Swat) courses, refresher classes, etc. in the mix. And they also need to consider what they amount need to have in "reserve".
In 1990 I became a Police Firearms Instructor. Back then, that course required that we used revolvers as well as semi autos. In the week-long class, each student used approximately 1500 (total) rounds of handgun ammo......along with approximately 500 rounds of 12 gauge for the shotgun segment.
When I attended the full auto course (we used Uzi's back then) we used 5000 rounds of 9mm in that one week........for each student.
There were 20 of us in each of those classes.........
Don't know the exact count today, but as of 2008 there were approximately 120,000 federal LEO's......you do the math.