.22 Ruger Pistol Choices

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Which 22 pistol configuration would you buy and shoot?

• Single Six

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mark 3

• 22/45

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Chris

Blackhawk
AK all comes down to what fits you, The single six's are great to learn basic shooting on, very simple to operate accurate and make great teaching guns. The MK I II III's are a little bit of a different animal, also very accurate a pleasure to shoot. The rub is, that they are not as easy to clean as there brother sixers... Take down can be a pain, but once you do it a couple times you will master it. I own quite a few, Rugers are addictive...that said, they are cheap enough to rapidly accumulate.

AKMATT said:
I wanted some opinions from the guys with experience...that is why I am here. I have a friend with a Single Six Hunter and it shoots very well for him because of the front sight set up. It is longer and heavier than a standard Single Six. It does have the advantage of a magnum cylinder.

That being said, would you choose a Ruger 22 revolver? If so, which one. Or would you choose a MRK3 or some other model and why?

I am going to use this for shooting hares, grouse, etc. Also, I am not trying to start any fist fights here between the wheel gun crowd and semi auto supporters.

Thanks,

AKMatt

Major T

Blackhawk
I like most .22 Ruger handguns. Mine date back to the late 50s-early 6os when I helped Dad pick out a used Mk1 6+ in. bbl from the ones available in a pawn shop. Dad passed on a few years ago and that one came back to me. My brother got his newer standard version. I also have a Mk1 with the 5" bull bbl. I like it a lot-tack driver. I am also fond of a Blue Bearcat that I bought from a gentleman of about my vintage (not young) at a gun show a few years ago. It was almost mint with the box and papers. He was trying without success to trade it in on a Marlin 336 in stainless. My latest is a Single Six .22/.22mag 5.5". I like them all! Have no experience with the Mark IIIs or the 22/45. Ditto on the not really caring for plastic frames- excluding pocket pistols. Good day, Jack

RedlegM109A1

Single-Sixer
I am buying my son a SS Single Six for his birthday next month. It is a classic firearm that he will have all his life. It is a great first gun, and it will always be a pleasure to shoot. No better handgun to learn with. And there is always the 22 magnum cylinder if he wants a more powerful round.

The Mark II/IIIs are also wonderful pistols. In fact I own a 1965 vintage Mark I that is a blast to shoot. So you can't go wrong either way.

By the way, it is a mistake to let the disassembly of the Mark pistols become a bugaboo. The first time I tried to reassemble mine I thought it was difficult. But once you figure it out, which is not difficult, reassembly of the Mark pistols is very simple and easy. Easier than many other firearms. I can reassemble my Mark I in less than a minute, first time every time. It is a fact that the Marks tend to be tight the first dozen or so breakdowns. A rubber mallet comes in handy. $9 at Lowes.

rsi705

Single-Sixer
Unless you have tremendous will power go ahead and get the single six and pick up a Mark II when a clean one you like becomes available. You will love them both.

I am not against polymer but that is what my polymer larger caliber pistols are for and I am not against the MK III just like the Mark I and II for what they do not have. Do not be afraid of the re-assembly of the MK. Print out a cleaning bench copy of the instructions and follow them. It works and the gun is back together in seconds.

Back to willpower, this will only be the start. Ruger rimfire is just too darn fun and comparatively inexpensive.

Enjoy.

Hugh

Buckeye
Alaska, I'm guessing ptarmigan or other small game for survival or camp in the field. I'd say a New Model Single Six. If just out bustin' paper, why not a MK III or something?

I marked Single Six in the Poll.

MMichaelAK

Single-Sixer
AKMatt,
what part of Anchortown are you in? Im a Muldooner.

I voted Single Six based on what you said about grouse.
That being said, Ive got a Single Six stainless, a MkII target blued and an OM Bearcat. The MkII will outshoot the others every day but the Bearcat is the most fun.

ProfessorWes

Hunter
I've got both a Single Six (6 1/2") and a MK III 22/45. Both are fine guns, although the magazine safety on the latter is a bit of an annoyance, particularly when field-stripping and reassembling the gun.

Were I to buy another, I'd opt for a Bearcat, or perhaps find a Single-Six 4 5/8" with the extra .22 Magnum cylinder (which my current Single Six doesn't have). I suppose I could send my Single Six back to Ruger to be fitted with one, but I've never gotten around to it.

Hmmm, hard to go wrong with any decent quality .22, especially the Rugers. While I have several, the one that gets shot the most is an old disreputable 4 5/8 3 screw single six with a home carved front sight. That thing just zings them in better than I can hold. Has the smaller grip, beautiful fixed sights, it's cheaper than the new stuff, and much more fun to pack around : )
Russ

AKMATT

Bearcat
I am on the east side of Anchorage close to the Muldoon Area.

I do have a Single Six I got when I was in high school. I have shot it some, not as much as I would like (That would be everyday).

I had posed the question for the simple reason that I was thinking I would pick up one of the Ruger Mark 1 or Mark 2 pistols. I have a friend who has the new Single Six Hunter model and the sights are great. I have been looking at the prices and they are not cheap, but I am. I was thinking I might get one if the price was REALLY good and the one thing that I have been seeing on GB and Guns America is that the models that are 17 HMR are cheaper by $100 or more. Are they not selling well? If so, is it just ammo cost or is it something more that is making a difference?

wwb

Hunter
AKMATT said:
....... the one thing that I have been seeing on GB and Guns America is that the models that are 17 HMR are cheaper by $100 or more. Are they not selling well? If so, is it just ammo cost or is it something more that is making a difference?

I think if you take a look at the price of .17 HMR ammo, you'll answer your own question. I load my own ammo, and I can shoot a .223 for about the same price as the .17 HMR.

Shop around until you come across a reasonable deal on a Mark II in the configuration of your choice, and bite the bullet; even if it's more than you really wanted to spend, the price on them is only going up.

gramps

Hawkeye
Ruger Packer said:
None of those! Find a good used or NOS Mark II w/ 5.5" bull barrel. Thats my opinion and I'm stickin' to it!!! 8)
1+, that is what I have and use. Wonderful woods gun.
gramps

AKMATT

Bearcat
Hi Gramps,

Nope, I work over at Providence exclusively. Shoot me a PM and we can chat some more.

I don't understand the meaning of NOS. I know what a Mark 1, 2 and 3 are.

Cheers,

AKMatt

foggood11

Bearcat
Bought a Mark III a while back and am re-acquainting myself with how good a Ruger semi-auto is. It eats everything and shoots great. Years ago when I was kid, my older brother had a Mark II, and we shot that thing until the cows came home. I also bought an "ultimate cliploader" to save wear and tear on my thumbs from loading the mags.

By the way, although off topic, I also closed on a SS 6" GP-100 on gunbroker.com. I'm trying my best to be patient while it makes its way across country and into my hands, but man, that's difficult. Can hardly wait!....javascript:emoticon(':D')

steve b

Single-Sixer
My vote went to the Single-Six. If you think accuracy needs a boost, try one of them Paco Tool thingies. Try mag loads. A 50gr HP is a step up from what can be fired outta the pistols. steve b

Athanasor

Bearcat
Picked the 22/45 because that's what I bought this year for fun shooting. I've been a revolver guy all my life so I thought I'd try a semi auto for once. It was dead on accurate right out of the box, no problems etc.

This afternoon I'm picking up my latest revolver, my first SA - a new Blackhawk stainless in 327. More fun shooting on the menu.