3 inch sp-101 in .357 mag

Help Support Ruger Forum:

gramps

Hawkeye
I packed this puppy in a IWB holster from Ken Null while hiking by myself in the Smokies last week. I didn't see any bear though it was quite warm(40-60 degrees f). A buddy of mine saw a 40 lb cub. I guess momma was busy with the new cub. Any way I had a nice time and felt comfortable all the way around. Now I wish for a .44 spcl of similar size and weight.
gramps

Eric N.

Bearcat
If I was going into bear country,I would be dragging my old Bisley Super Blackhawk 44 mag with a cylinder full of Whopper Stoppers.

gramps

Hawkeye
Eric N. said:
If I was going into bear country,I would be dragging my old Bisley Super Blackhawk 44 mag with a cylinder full of Whopper Stoppers.

Black bear and the average weight in the GSM's is 125 lbs. Plus it is winter.
gramps

Knuckles

Buckeye
I'd take a short GP-100 in .44spl or .45acp... wouldn't even care if they were 5-shot cylinders :wink:

gramps

Hawkeye
If Charter can make a similar sized .44 spcl in the 70's why can't anyone else using the improved metalurgy of today? Why does everyone want to make it so big you might as well take a REDHAWK? BPJ I had her stoked with 125 gr jsp. Humans and canids being the presumed threat.
gramps

308longdistance

Blackhawk
gramps said:
I packed this puppy in a IWB holster from Ken Null while hiking by myself in the Smokies last week. Now I wish for a .44 spcl of similar size and weight.
gramps

I carry a 3" in an IWB also. But if I was hiking in the mountains I would go to an OWB with a good belt. 8) I would like that 44spl as well.

surveyor47

Single-Sixer
I believe that a 3" SP101 357 Magnum with 158 grain JSP 357 ammo should be perfectly adequate. Given that many states require concealed carry, that would be my preferred method of carry and my choice of weapon would be driven by the need to conceal. In fact, I would feel well armed for defensive purposes with a 2 1/4" SP101.

skipper49

Single-Sixer
I LOVE the 3 1/16" SP101. Having said that, in Georgia, we're having black bear killed in the 500 lb range. I'm jes sayin'.......... :wink:

Skip

surveyor47

Single-Sixer
Years ago, a former African big game hunter told me that the most direct route to any predators brain is through his mouth. Much less penetration is required if you shoot through a bears mouth.

In the Deep South, I think I would be more concerned with hogs than bear. If more bears will reduce the hog population a bit, then Im all for the bears! Hog is the one animal for which I do carry a handgun- the 41 Magnum. Hogs will not hesitate to attack a human and if they get you down, they will eat you. As a matter of fact, hogs have decimated our deer population. Did you know that hogs will eat fawn if they find them?

The one benefit I have seen from hogs is a reduction in the population of cottonmouth water moccosins. Yes, they eat snakes!

78CJ5

Bearcat
My SP101 goes on Dog walks everyday, I live on a now closed golf course and it is full of Coyotes and hogs, The old water traps are now full of snakes too.

5of7

Hunter
The average size of black bears (or hog) is not necessarily the criteria to use when picking a gun and chambering for protection. One should prepare for the worst and hope for the best.

With that in mind, a good 44 Sp. with hard cast flat nose bullets of 240 grains or more would be a little more appropriate if bears or hogs are a threat.

Certainly the .357 is a lot better than nothing though. 8)

welder

Buckeye
In the Deep South, I think I would be more concerned with hogs than bear. If more bears will reduce the hog population a bit, then Im all for the bears! Hog is the one animal for which I do carry a handgun- the 41 Magnum. Hogs will not hesitate to attack a human and if they get you down, they will eat you. As a matter of fact, hogs have decimated our deer population. Did you know that hogs will eat fawn if they find them? QUOTE

The son of a guy I work with just left on a hog hunting trip, I think somewhere in MS but I could be wrong. He and some of his buddies loaded up and drove down for a few days. His Dad told me the hog problem was nearly out of control and hunters were gladly welcomed there. His only complaint was the out of state permit. I'll see how they did when I get back to work tomorrow.
Back to the OP: I have both Sp's, 2" and 3" bbl. They have ridden my side on numerous hikes and walks. I never felt under gunned and generally my biggest threat besides the two legged kind would be a bad dog of coyote here. The coyotes are thick here, on my property nightly.

Eric N.

Bearcat
We grow the bears bigger than 125 lbs up here.This fall we had a 200 lbs black bear come with in 200 feet of my house,but I live 5 miles from down town St. Paul. I CCW a SP 101 3 in 357mag,so when I let my dogs out late at night it comes with me.

Hugh

Buckeye
I am very happy with my 3-1/16" SP-101 .357. If I wanted to protect against furry predators while carrying, I'd load up with my Buffalo Bore 180 grain. I have 40 rounds for just that purpose. Had those before getting a .44 Magnum. SP-101 handles them quite well thanks; just be aware they do bump a bit. Trausch grips take care of the recoil.

Knuckles

Buckeye
gramps said:
CorBon has some 200 gr hard cast that are stout, but very manageable in my 3 inch sp
gramps

Yep'... I have some... tried a few in mine.

Picture052.jpg