44 Carbine RS Front Sight

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Cappi

Bearcat
I own a Ruger carbine with a factory rear sight located on the receiver. The "front" site is broken. A call to the factory revealed that this front site is no longer available, nor could they tell me the correct height of the front site so that i might be able to buy an aftermarket . Does anyone know the correct height of this front site. Is it a different height from a carbine with a "barrel" mounted rear site ?

pete44ru

Hunter
I'm not sure on the height, but the early shape was sure different than anything available new today.

The early carbine I once owned had an ivory bead front sight alright, but the "bead" was more of a flat rectangle, like a sourdough patridge, but with a curved face that matched the curved profile of the entire sight.

IOW, the sight blade was more like a half-dime laid on it's side than the straight-topped blades generally produced today.

Maybe one of the forum's several collectors will post a pic of one for you.

chet15

Hawkeye
Let us know the serial number on your gun. The early guns had a William's "sourdough" type front sight with white plastic bead. Later sights look like the 10/22 front sight.
Chet15

TDF

Single-Sixer
My RS sight measures .500 inches from top of sight to bottom of dovetail. I measured a takeoff sight from a 10/22 and it measures .405 inches. Although the length of sight and size of dovetail are the same.

Hope this helps.

TDF