9mm carbine.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

RC44Mag

Buckeye
Lots of different 9 carbines with different length barrels and quality. What's your intent with owning one and shooting it? Target, small game, social use or other?

instructor

Single-Sixer
I own a Ruger PC 9 carbgine in 9mm and have sighted mine it at 50 yards and very accurate at that distance with whatever ammunition I use. Opens up a bit at the 100 yard range, but still suitable if you had to shoot at that distance for a target of whatever. Just my experience and do like the firearm.

CDP2

Bearcat
I own a Ruger PC 9 carbgine in 9mm and have sighted mine it at 50 yards and very accurate at that distance with whatever ammunition I use. Opens up a bit at the 100 yard range, but still suitable if you had to shoot at that distance for a target of whatever. Just my experience and do like the firearm.
Appreciate your post. I'll check out sighting mine at both 50 and 100 yards. I'll likely split the difference at some arbitrary point within. I love this carbine and certainly considered the popularity and and availability of 9mm ammo. Again, thanks to all above posts!

OMCHamlin

Single-Sixer
I agree with the guy that said he starts at 25 yds, but also agree that I end up final zero at 50 yds. This is for a Turkish MP5K clone and a Freedom Ordnance AR pistol with a 10" barrel. Can they hit accurately farther out? Sure, but 50 is a good compromise for these two for me. A 9mm at distance is not exactly "Thor's Hammer", either...

"A 9mm at distance is not exactly "Thor's Hammer", either..."
OK?? Here's my take on this: even though the 9mm 147 grain doesn't start out very fast, it also doesn't lose it's velocity quickly either. A reliably expanding bullet will still be fairly effective even at 100 yards. I shot some of my custom loaded sub-sonic 147 grain HST's into water filled jugs @ 100 yards. Not as impressive as up close but not a pin prick either.

Delbert

Bearcat
I have a 9mm carbine from a different manufacturer, but with a bullseye of around 2" diameter at 50yds and using a workable red dot sight I put the POI at the upper edge of the bullseye. This way it is still usable at 75yds easily and keeps decent knock down/penetration energy on smaller/medium varmints using 115gr off the shelf ammos, with Blazer brass giving the best results for me.

AZGun Guy

Bearcat
You will also have to focus on bullet style, weight and brand of ammo. Any change will change the point of impact and the distance they are accurate.
It matters if you want to reach out to greater distances with a 16" barrels. We can hit a man size piece of steel 4 out of 5 times at 150 meters and 2-3 times in 5 at 200 meters. It drops off pretty suddenly. Hollow points and flat tip bullets can become ballistically unstable. Spinning off at greater or lessor distances in a 360 degree widening area of effect. They are a lot of fun and our family's choice for Home Defence since they won't over penetrate out of our home.

BearBiologist

Buckeye
"A 9mm at distance is not exactly "Thor's Hammer", either..."
OK?? Here's my take on this: even though the 9mm 147 grain doesn't start out very fast, it also doesn't lose it's velocity quickly either. A reliably expanding bullet will still be fairly effective even at 100 yards. I shot some of my custom loaded sub-sonic 147 grain HST's into water filled jugs @ 100 yards. Not as impressive as up close but not a pin prick either.
I haven't been attacked by any rabid water jugs lately!!! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

9x19

Hunter
Two is one...

sO5c2VR.jpg

mjh

Single-Sixer
Good price and two to boot! Where are those sales out there?? I've passed on several items recently,.......sure the money is there.......but........do I really need the item.......or the tax pushed the item higher than I wanted to spend.....At $480 plus tax I could live with the Digital Green Camo......