454 Blackhawks... Where are they?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

contender

Ruger Guru
Unless you are impatient,, quietly watch auction sites, local auctions, cruise gun shops etc,, and you will stumble upon a fair buy in one.
We have had to live with a reduced amount of SA revolvers ever since the covid crap caused a serious labor shortage everywhere. Ruger had as much as 65% of their work force OUT due to covid. Many never came back, thanks to "free" government money & other idiocy. Ruger has had to rebuild their workforce as they can. Remember,, an employee has to pass a background check, and drug testing. So the supply has not kept up with the demands.
But it's not a "dead" model,, just not back up to speed yet.

And FA is 20 months out in new builds. Bob told me that last week.

coryj

Bearcat
Interesting that Ruger's workforce was impacted that much. As for FA, their used guns are much more readily available on some of the online auction sites so it would be easier to buy than the lone SBH on gunbroker in 454.

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
I always considered the FA grip frame to have a Bisley profile, maybe closer to the original Colt than the Ruger Bisley frame is.

1706800054149.png

1706800126094.png

1706800197316.png

Webster1967

Bearcat
I agree the price of the Blackhawks are bordering FA pricing. Unless he sold it the is an old BFR on here in 454 reasonable. I pondered it but it has rubber grips. As far as the Bisley grip frame, had 3 3/4 44mag Blackhawk with it, didn't like it! Maybe the long barrel guns with it would be more balanced.

Rock185

Bearcat
I've had a Bisley Blackhawk and FA. I agree, the FA grip frame seems similar to the Bisley to me. In any case, both the FA and Bisley grip frames handle recoil well for me.

G2, Those are beauties!

G2

Hunter
@G2 what's the story with those octagon barreled guns? Exclusive for a particular distributor or custom? They look amazing.

I didn't care for the 6.5" barrel and decided to cut them down to 5.5, then ran across a 2 for 1 sale at Gary Reeder's shop.
He went hunting to Africa, while he was away, his wife put the entire shop on sale,,, hasn't happened again since.😳

Shortly after Ruger came out with the 4.6",,, however I really do like the 5.5".

Doc_Holidude

Bearcat
480R on the top 454C on the bottom, nothing to special, other than the 5.5" Octagon barrels. I find myself shooting the 480R more, bigger hole and less felt recoil & concussion.
I know a fella named me that would really be interested in buying that .454 if you get tired of not shooting it! Both are beauties though! 🤤

Jon406

Single-Sixer
I agree the price of the Blackhawks are bordering FA pricing. Unless he sold it the is an old BFR on here in 454 reasonable. I pondered it but it has rubber grips. As far as the Bisley grip frame, had 3 3/4 44mag Blackhawk with it, didn't like it! Maybe the long barrel guns with it would be more balanced.

Even though I would love a FA in 475/480 it's a bit more than a Ruger Blackhawk Bisley FA Link but it's every penny worth it from what I understand.

contender

Ruger Guru
"I agree the price of the Blackhawks are bordering FA pricing."

I think a FA is about 3 times the cost of a Ruger in general. Nowhere near "bordering" each other. Plus,, a FA now has an almost 2 year wait to get one built.

The FA's are excellent guns, and I enjoy the few I have. But you can buy 3 Rugers without the wait,, for the price of a Freedom Arms! And even if the Ruger isn't exactly in the configuration you desire,, a few mods are not over the top expensive. (Unless you want a custom barrel, & other specialty work.)

gnappi

Single-Sixer
I know some don't like the heft of a BFR but I got my .454 for use as a monster five shot .45 Colt launcher and I'm not sorry I waited for a 5".

Ruger only loads? NP :)

Attachments

• bfr_454.jpg
    bfr_454.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 21

gnappi

Single-Sixer
I didn't care for the 6.5" barrel and decided to cut them down to 5.5, then ran across a 2 for 1 sale at Gary Reeder's shop.
He went hunting to Africa, while he was away, his wife put the entire shop on sale,,, hasn't happened again since.😳

Shortly after Ruger came out with the 4.6",,, however I really do like the 5.5".

Funny, I worked at an electronics manufacturer and the owner never threw anything away. When he was gone for a month to the middle east, I had the bone pile of very old printed circuit boards scrapped and got something like $500 for it.

When he came back and asked about the "old stock" I told him I scrapped it he literally felt sick to his stomach, that was until I gave him the check!

gnappi

Single-Sixer
I have two BRF's one Bisley in .44 the other rubber in .454 and I like shooting the older style rubber grips more. The short bbls. balance well for me also.

Attachments

• bfr_pair_r.jpg
    bfr_pair_r.jpg
    208.1 KB · Views: 29

Latest posts