99/44 question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I found an unfired 99/44 for sale today. It was at an out of state gunshop and he was asking $700. Ive been interested in these since the early 2000s when they were still being made. I handled the rifle and liked it but didn't buy it on the spot because I have an upcoming surgery and will be off work for a few months soon. Now that I am back in my hotel I am thinking that I should have bought it as you don't see them for sale very often. I can afford it but just looking for advice on what you would do.

SteelBlue

Single-Sixer
I would jump on that immediately, great price. The Deerfield is a fantastic gun and lots of fun to shoot. You're right, you don't see unfired examples very often.

jgt

Buckeye
I have wanted a 96/44 for quiet some time, but the price rose too high for what one is worth to me. If you are a collector then you may want to ignore my input. If you are a shooter you have other choices. I plan on using a CVA 44 magnum Scout V2 for my rifle. Yes, it is a single shot. No, I can not load it as fast for the second round as the lever action. But I normally carry a hand gun when hunting so if I need another round in a hurry, I have six available. The single shot is accurate and usually I do not need a second round. I saw a 96/44 for sale recently and the seller was asking $900 or more for it. I can buy a Ruger #1 for not much more than that. It too is accurate and only a single shot, but that is all that is need most of the time. It is your money. You get to choose what kind of bang for the buck you want. Good luck with your choice.

WebleyMan

Single-Sixer
I had both the 96/44 and 99/44. Nice guns. They just didn't quite work for me as well as I had hoped, or more like, I didn't warm up to them. That said, I hope you grabbed 99/44 for $700. That's a good price today, not many unfired ones around, and it is a great little brush gun.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
I have both a 96-44 and a 99-44. Both are great guns, handy and hard hitting. The 96-44 will shoot anything that will fit in the magazine. The 99-44 likes full power ammo. Federal or Winchester 240gr loads work fine. If you reload be sure you go with a full 240gr load and a copper jacketed bullet.