9MM conversion unit for SR 1911

Help Support Ruger Forum:

5of7

Hunter
The title pretty much says it all.
Are they available and from who?
And anybody wanna trade a 9MM upper for a .45 ACP upper?

gunzo

Hunter
I've forgotten a lot of 1911 caliber specifics, so don't take this to the bank;

Ejector would have to be changed(I think)

No ready made conversions that I'm aware of, would have to be pieced together; barrel, bushing, slide, extractor, sights, etc.

Most 9mm 1911 barrels are ramped, whereas your Ruger 45 is not, find unramped 9mm barrel & have fitted or have function problems.

New mags needed, cost is usually higher than generic 45 mags.

Still interested? Selling the 45 & buying a ready made 9 is usually the best option. IMO

oscar

Bearcat
I love my Ruger 1911, but found a RIA 9mm for $400. I am very pleased with the quality and accuracy of the RIA.

Rodfac

Blackhawk
Colt Series 70 Combat Commander uppers in both 9mm and .38 Super work well on my SR1911 CMD. Accuracy, especially with the .38 Super is actually better than the original .45 ACP bbl. I did not change out the ejector, nor the recoil spring when mounting the new upper.

Both units use the original Colt bbl. Accuracy is less than 3" at 25 yds from rest with loads the gun likes. About the only negative is that the 9mm will never lock back after firing the last round; the .38 Super locks back about half the time. Both units were slide on's, no fitting needed and as easy as the original .45 slide.

BTW, the .38 bbl. and the 9mm interchange in either upper, and the .38 Super mags feed 9mm as well as the .38's. Sighting in for each shows that either bbl. will hit within an inch of the other one out to 20 yds or so...a definite plus with non-adjustable sights. For the most part, I keep the .38 super slide on the gun, and use whatever barrel interests me at the time...functionally they're identical.

The Ruger lower also accepts my Marvel .22 lr and Ciener uppers as well; making it a 4-caliber Commander! Rod

SR1911SHOOTER

Blackhawk
5of7 said:
The title pretty much says it all.
Are they available and from who?
And anybody wanna trade a 9MM upper for a .45 ACP upper?

5of7,
I hate to tell you, but you will have to do some modifications on the frame also.
Number 1, the ejector.
Number 2, the return spring.
Number 3, the magazines.
For what it would cost you, it would be just as cheap to purchase a 9MM pistol.
Blackie

SR1911SHOOTER

Blackhawk
gunzo said:
I've forgotten a lot of 1911 caliber specifics, so don't take this to the bank;

Ejector would have to be changed(I think)

No ready made conversions that I'm aware of, would have to be pieced together; barrel, bushing, slide, extractor, sights, etc.

Most 9mm 1911 barrels are ramped, whereas your Ruger 45 is not, find unramped 9mm barrel & have fitted or have function problems.

New mags needed, cost is usually higher than generic 45 mags.

Still interested? Selling the 45 & buying a ready made 9 is usually the best option. IMO

Gunzo,
Yes, ejector would have to be changed.
Most 9MM barrels are not ramped. Mine aren't.
Yes, to mag change.
I would also recommend buying a 9MM and putting up the .45 for sale.
Blackie