9mm magazine fed lever action rifle

Help Support Ruger Forum:

It's not and likely never will be my cup of tea. But I wish them success selling them. Out of curiosity, I would like to handle one and even see the insides of the action.
For those saying it's legal in some places because it's a lever action not a semi auto. I am just pointing out, Under recent Oregon law that rifle is still illegal because of the detachable mag. If that dumb Oregon law stays in place anyone want to bet more states won't copy Oregon.

I would guess that a Glock mag would angle back towards the buttstock, which might limit the space available for movement of the lever. When I saw the curved mag, I was reminded of the CZ Scorpion EVO mags, which I think MAGPUL is also making now.
:)
That is true. I was going to use a Glock mag lower for a PCC AR and didn't use it for that reason. MP5 compatible mags also have a nice forward curve.

It's not and likely never will be my cup of tea. But I wish them success selling them. Out of curiosity, I would like to handle one and even see the insides of the action.
For those saying it's legal in some places because it's a lever action not a semi auto. I am just pointing out, Under recent Oregon law that rifle is still illegal because of the detachable mag. If that dumb Oregon law stays in place anyone want to bet more states won't copy Oregon.
As a current Oregon resident, that was one of the first things I thought of. However- I think (hope) that M114 is thrown out in court. Time will tell. I don't see how it will hold up with the current wording.

The new 360 Buckhammer will be a close cousin of the Max.

Thanks, I had not heard of that one! Guess we'll see how popular it gets. The .350 Legend has a serious head start, seems to be popular in both bolt actions (like Ruger's American Ranch rifle ;^) and ARs, and you can find ammo lots of places. BUT I'm not sure if .350 Legend would work reliably in a lever action. I guess if they can build one in 9mm, they might be able to build one in .350 Legend, which in a lot of ways is just a stretched-out 9mm with a rebated rim. That .360 Buckhammer probably is a safe bet in a lever gun, because it's based on the .30-30 case.

Mauser9

Blackhawk
New Guns&AMMO has a review on that Tombstone. Takes the cake of one of ugliest produced so far. Maybe they think it will sell with tactical stuff often being the rage. No thanks! Gimme the good ole hunting style guns like an 1100 and 870.

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
There have been lever action rifles produced in the past, that used box magazines - the Winchester 1895 comes to mind. Speaking of which, I wonder if it's a proprietary mag, and also if the action is easier to disassemble than my personal favorite (Winchester 1892)? Guessing they would sell a lot more of these, if they were priced more like a traditional pistol-caliber lever action, and less like an IMI Tavor!

I never handled a Model 95 Winchester, but always thought they had an internal magazine? In fact, I recall some Model 95s had clip slots.

Bob Wright.

Afterthought: The British Enfield rifles had clip slots with a box magazine, didn't they? Sort of forgot myself, there!

Bob Wright

Last edited:
Bob, I think nearly all the early military bolt action rifles had clip slots to aid in a faster reload. The guys using bolts rifles in national match's all had them back in the day when I shot the match.
I could be missing some but, lever rifles with a detachable mag. Savage 99 made a model, Winchester 88 and Brownings BLRs. Yeah the 95 was a fixed box mag.

When TSHTF 9mm&5.56 are what will be laying around not 44-40 etc.

Not so sure about 9mm & 5.56 ever being "laying around". Almost everybody shoots those calibers, which is why you couldn't find the ammo anywhere, during the buying panics the last 10-12 years. In my experience, unless you were standing in the store when they were unloading the truck, somebody would get there ahead of you and grab all the popular calibers (any rimfire, .380, 9mm, .38, .357, .45, 5.56, .308, 12 & 20 gauge). What was usually left? Unpopular stuff - I remember .40 S&W, 6.8SPC, .350 Legend, some less common hunting calibers, and 16 gauge. Obviously, it depends on where you live.

Now, say you live someplace and a big hurricane or earthquake turns your neighborhood into kindling. If there's any ammo just laying around in the street, sure, you can pick it up - if somebody else didn't get there ahead of you. So if it's something popular, you better be there first. But if it's 7.62 Tokarev, or .303 British, or 28 gauge, or anything not on the 'Top 20 Most Popular' list, maybe it'll sit there for days. Who knows!

As always, IMHO, FWIW, YMMV, etc., etc.

RC44Mag

Buckeye
Always wanted one but took a long time to finally get one. To many other firearms I bought before the one I bought. got a Marlin 336 Custom in 30-30 which I bought a couple years ago. love it and thinking about more in the future but honestly, that thing in the OP if just plain awful, think its safe to say it will be a dud in market sales. But you never know

...think its safe to say it will be a dud in market sales. But you never know

I don't think they will be selling many at the current $2000 MSRP.

But I do like pistol caliber carbines, because I think they're fun to shoot! So, IF the things operate reliably & smoothly, and IF they're easy to tear down & clean, and IF the mags don't cost an arm & a leg, and most importantly, IF they would cut the price 80%, I would probably get one just for fun (which likely means I won't be a customer)!

Latest posts