9mm magazine fed lever action rifle

Help Support Ruger Forum:

RC44Mag

Buckeye
I also like pistol carbines, have two USGI M1 carbines and a
Ruger Deerstalker and I will probably grab another pistol carbine or two in the future.
What I really dislike about this one is all gimmicky add ons to desperately make it look modern and 'cool' and it comes off like it was designed by a 10 year old boy with an over imaginative mind. It's just plain laughable. Just my opinion

I also like pistol carbines, have two USGI M1 carbines and a
Ruger Deerstalker and I will probably grab another pistol carbine or two in the future.
What I really dislike about this one is all gimmicky add ons to desperately make it look modern and 'cool' and it comes off like it was designed by a 10 year old boy with an over imaginative mind. It's just plain laughable. Just my opinion

I guess a couple of features are fairly practical. A lot of carbines & rifles now have plastic stocks/furniture to keep the cost down (that sure didn't work on this one), although I kind of prefer something that isn't black, like the green or tan or camo Ruger uses for some of their American bolt action rifles. And I'm not one of 'em, but apparently a lot of guys have legally-owned suppressors, so a threaded muzzle might be useful (I would just put a thread protector on and call it a day).
:)

The way a lever gun should look. Mr. Winchester and Mr. Marlin had it right.:)

I just watched the 2 videos of shooting the 9mm. Someone needs to show those Cowboys how to hold and fire a lever gun for speed and accuracy.
1673304580324.png

1673304527457.png

1673305314091.png

Last edited:

eveled

Hawkeye
Not so sure about 9mm & 5.56 ever being "laying around". Almost everybody shoots those calibers, which is why you couldn't find the ammo anywhere, during the buying panics the last 10-12 years. In my experience, unless you were standing in the store when they were unloading the truck, somebody would get there ahead of you and grab all the popular calibers (any rimfire, .380, 9mm, .38, .357, .45, 5.56, .308, 12 & 20 gauge). What was usually left? Unpopular stuff - I remember .40 S&W, 6.8SPC, .350 Legend, some less common hunting calibers, and 16 gauge. Obviously, it depends on where you live.

Now, say you live someplace and a big hurricane or earthquake turns your neighborhood into kindling. If there's any ammo just laying around in the street, sure, you can pick it up - if somebody else didn't get there ahead of you. So if it's something popular, you better be there first. But if it's 7.62 Tokarev, or .303 British, or 28 gauge, or anything not on the 'Top 20 Most Popular' list, maybe it'll sit there for days. Who knows!

As always, IMHO, FWIW, YMMV, etc., etc.
What you are describing is a shortage induced by panic buying. Which is a lot different than a true SHTF scenario.

Your observation does however show what most hoards of ammo are complrised of. Nato cartridges and .22lr

When you are searching bodies and their trucks. They will most likely have the standard Nato cartridges and .22lr.

If you are raiding to get supplies most likely you will find Nato cartridges and .22lr.

...When you are searching bodies and their trucks. They will most likely have the standard Nato cartridges and .22lr...

Unless, as I mentioned, someone else got there ahead of you!

Of course, I've heard (on other web sites) that some folks are counting on producing their own bodies, so they can be the first to loot the still-warm corpses. But the people who plan on being predators usually forget, that they may simply look like lunch to someone else in the neighborhood.

I've always found the so-called SHTF or TEOTWAWKI discussions interesting, but also somewhat amusing. Time after time, people talk about the need to have a firearm in caliber X, Y, or Z, because the ammo will theoretically be easier to find "if the SHTF!" Since there are more firearms in this country than people (and a lot of gunowners don't keep extra ammo), I'm guessing that guns in popular calibers might be easier to obtain than ammunition; so you're probably better off just stocking ammo for whatever you like to shoot. And whatever people plan for - guess what? - Murphy's Law ain't going away just because of TEOTWAWKI.

None of which means I think it's a waste of time to be prepared for emergencies. I worked as a petroleum geologist out in California years ago, which meant that I took the risk of major earthquakes seriously. We stocked food and especially water, and since our neighbors were elderly, we had a month's worth stashed for them, also. My wife was a nurse, so we had medical supplies (and her knowledge); we had wireless communications available (2 different types, with extra units) and of course firearms, spare parts, and ammunition. Etc., etc., etc. It's just common sense insurance, especially if you live someplace with elevated risks.

But for some reason, the "battlefield pickup" plans that some folks have just make me laugh!

eveled

Hawkeye
The real life SHTF scenario is pretty grim for most of us. Once we run out of our meds and clean water or get an infection.

Just running out of Zyrtec would make my life miserable.

The real life SHTF scenario is pretty grim for most of us. Once we run out of our meds and clean water or get an infection.

Just running out of Zyrtec would make my life miserable.

That is God's honest truth. I happen to have a tooth that's bothering me right now, and the dentist is keeping an eye on it. Doesn't look like an infection, but heck, without doctors and antibiotics, that's the kind of "little" thing that used to kill people. The man who founded the Pinkerton Detective Agency reportedly bit his tongue, and died from gangrene.

I do appreciate civilization (if not everything that goes with it)!

WHY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It takes time to design a firearm & get it into production. Not sure if two years is enough, but the gun-grabbers taking over the White House & Congress after the 2020 election might have influenced things! A lot of folks were expecting a bigger, badder gun ban (which definitely would have happened, except for missing a vote or two in the Senate). I knew a gunshop owner who mentioned at the time, "I can't stay open, if all I can sell are bolt action rifles and 1911s!"; I also knew a gunsmith who retired right after that.

Given the way our elections have been going, I'm guessing these weird 9mm lever actions will be selling like hotcakes in about 2 years.

eveled

Hawkeye
They didn't need to make it so tactical. A magazine fed 9mm lever is not a bad idea.

I wish they had figured out how to make a reliable and affordable side gate 9mm lever action.

I would give a kidney for a reliable affordable side gate lever in .45acp.

bobski

Hunter
nothing original here. its just a transformer toy using bits and pieces of other ideas, to come up with a new fruitcake receipe.
out of a possible 10 i give it a 0.
maybe a 1 if he had used a wood stock.

I know a guy who thought he was going to get rich selling single shot AR lowers in Maryland in 2013.

May have just been a dozen years too early!

I've thought about doing a 'garage-built' single-shot lower; set it up so the bolt locks back after every shot, with the bolt release where you can reach it with your trigger finger, and an upper (left-handed, for a right-handed operator?) that makes loading convenient with the rifle supported on a bipod - might work well as a varmint rifle!

Johnnu2

Hunter
Or is it POS...(?)
I just gotta ask: am I the only one who thinks that this lever action monstrosity (that looks like it's made of stamped sheet metal) really worth the MSRP of about $2,000. When I first saw it in one of the gun rags, I was embarassed to see a gun-writer lowering himself to praising this piece of junk (in my opinion of course). But besides the writer stooping lower than usual with his "expert" review, I darn near defecated when I saw the price.
Is it just me being cheap and not understanding the complexities of this "lever action"?

Thanks, I needed that.

J.

Latest posts