9mm vs 40 S&W: Which Is Better?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

People, of course the .40 S(hort) & W(eak) is better. We all know that any cartridge over 100 years old can no longer be relied on to kill it's intended target. Why the 30-30 and the 45-70 are so old that they don't even qualify as mouse guns anymore. So, the 9mm and the .45 acp both being past the century mark will have absolutely no effect on targets. They just bounce off.

Heck, I hear they all bounce off, including the 10mm, which uses a .30 Remington case cut in half (why cut anything in half?). My personal preference is a "40" - a phased plasma rifle in the 40-watt range.
:cool:

DGW1949

Hunter
People, of course the .40 S(hort) & W(eak) is better. We all know that any cartridge over 100 years old can no longer be relied on to kill it's intended target. Why the 30-30 and the 45-70 are so old that they don't even qualify as mouse guns anymore. So, the 9mm and the .45 acp both being past the century mark will have absolutely no effect on targets. They just bounce off.
You know, you may be right.......Just the other day, I was reading a report by an internet expert which stated that the 230-Grn bullet fired from a factory loaded 45ACP cartridge didn't have enough power to even reach the 100-Yd paper target that he was shooting at, thus explaining why it didn't have any holes in it....On the other hand, maybe they was bouncing off?...LOL.

DGW

WV460hunter

Single-Sixer
I have personally had both and got rid of both dont like either caliber. Aint good for nothing excepting self defense at 15 yards or less more like 7yards. I will stick to my 44 Ruger Blackhawk or just about anything other than a 9mm luger or 40 S&W . Sorry not trying to be disparaging but in my world which is revolver hunting is 41 and up .

You know, you may be right.......Just the other day, I was reading a report by an internet expert which stated that the 230-Grn bullet fired from a factory loaded 45ACP cartridge didn't have enough power to even reach the 100-Yd paper target that he was shooting at, thus explaining why it didn't have any holes in it....On the other hand, maybe they was bouncing off?...LOL.

DGW
Do People shoot charging Grizzles at a 100 yds? The question of which is better, should include for "What Purpose" and the ammo used if for hunting or large game. Size, weight, ammo cost and on and on.

bhp9

Bearcat
The 40 S&W has been a colossal marketing failure for many reasons.

Many .40 S&W guns were only re-engineered 9mm handguns which could not stand up to the pounding they took from the more heavy recoiling .40. Even internal parts often suffered galling and breakage.

Back about a decade ago "Combat Handguns Magazine" ran a back page article (naturally on the back page) which described 3 "brand new handguns" with "factory .40 S&W ammo" blowing them up because of "bullet set back" with the 180 grain loads. The Set back compressed the powder charge because their is not enough air space in the cartridge for hot loads with the heavier bullet. The ammo factories then quietly scaled back the velocity of the heavier bullet weight.

The 3 brand new Handguns were a Browning High Power, A Glock and I am afraid to tell you what the last handgun brand was. You can guess.

Most people, especially women cops, shoot the 9mm much more accurately and much faster than the .40.

The .40 ammo is more expensive which is a major consideration for police departments.

The repair problems are more numerous with the .40 as stated by more than one Police Department and was their major reason for switching back to the 9mm as well as the higher cost of ammo for the .40.

The 9mm holds more ammo and recoils less allowing more accurate and more rapid shooting.

With modern bullets the 9mm is not inferior in anyway to the .40.

Note: even when comparing the 9mm to the .45 acp the diameter difference is only 1/10 of an inch.

The 9mm when tested in 1945 by the U.S. Military penetrated a military helmet at an astonishing 125 yards and might have been able to do it even further away but no one that day was able to hit the helmet beyond 125 yards. "The .45 acp bounced off the Military Helmet at a scant 35 yards and without adequate penetration a military pistol is not worth using.

In live hog shooting Pistolero Magazine found the 9mm and 45 acp were equal.

Star43

Buckeye
About 10 or so years ago ( I honestly forget) on another forum platform, I started a thread and it went on and on and on, etc.....and when did it all stop, when the FBI went BACK to the 9MM. Then all (for the most part) the LE went BACK to the Nine.....Meanwhile the Military was already there from the mid eighties......Bottom line was the 9MM guns held up better, as basically they were the same guns used for the .40. Remember the cracked slides ?? Also and, The Main reason is the cost factor and the availability of the 9MM ammo. That is what happened and what it is up to today....It always comes down to economics. If we aren't shooting our beloved Ruger revolvers, we may go out and shoot some 9MM. And why the 9MM ?? Because the 9MM ammo is always available and always a lot cheaper. It always boils down to money. Yeah, the 9MM won.

Last edited:
Excellent point. Years ago I had shot a Beretta Nano and fell in love with the gun. I shot it heavily and now over 18,000 rds. At that time I wanted a DAO Style trigger, small and well built. At that time I also had a Ruger LC9S. I had later read that the Nano was design for the 40 cal but Beretta decided to stick with 9mm. That is why I asked about Glocks etc that will have the conversion kits. Are the built to last the higher ballistics and recoil punishments etc.

The Nano I did in comparison with the Ruger. As you can see the Nano is built like the proverbial tank. Every part heavier and thicker to include extractors etc.

Nf5qMd4.jpg

sQesSEh.jpg

Vu0CNhG.jpg

OmoHY9e.jpg

4WJ12iR.jpg

DGW1949

Hunter
Do People shoot charging Grizzles at a 100 yds? The question of which is better, should include for "What Purpose" and the ammo used if for hunting or large game. Size, weight, ammo cost and on and on.
The post you quoted my attempt at making a joke.....As for your own question, I don't know if people "shoot charging grizzles at a 100 yds" or not. About the only things that I've fired at with a handgun from that distance is paper targets or empty milk jugs....I can tell you one thing with certainty though, if I had to try that particular feat, it sure wouldn't involve using either of the two cartridges in question.

DGW

Really. Better put my XD and Max 9 up on gun broker. With a warning. Something like
WARNING these guns are for show only and are not intended to stop any assault or attack and should not be considered effective for this use. They are for display only!

Really. Better put my XD and Max 9 up on gun broker. With a warning. Something like
WARNING these guns are for show only and are not intended to stop any assault or attack and should not be considered effective for this use. They are for display only!
That's the spirit. Always glad to point a newer member in the right direction.

BearBiologist

Hunter
THAT will result in a citation!!!!!!! Or, you better have a REALLY good explanation!

BearBiologist

Hunter
All the keyboard experts aside, it boils down to what YOU (a) are comfortable with, (b) carry well, (3) Hit well with. Using a VERY good bullet, hit center of mass, and they are all pretty much gonna do the job. Too many variables to be sure! (Hit a bone & deflect, smash a bone, hit vital organs, winter clothing, drugs, adrenaline, vest?????) Chaos Theory!!!! Shoot til they go down!!~

Personally, I load all our defense guns with Underwood Defense ammo with a LeHigh bullet. (9mm, 357 Sig, 45 acp., 10mm defense loads, 45 Colt defense loads. Bear loads for the 10mm,45 Colt and 41 mag are all heavy hard cast loads.

XUSNORDIE

Single-Sixer
Thank you, All-Knowing One!

That's life on the forum! All opinions, little fact & lots of repetition!!!

Want real FUN, go to the political discussions!!! 🤔 🤔 🤔 🤔 🤔 🤔

Oh didn't know....I'm very young and easily influenced.... and this is my first forum experience. :rolleyes:

Trolling? or Chumming?......thanks for the invite but no thanks, already been to a few dances there, and you know that....:sneaky: