Which old time gun writer?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

KS25-06

Single-Sixer
I liked almost all of the early writers. Does anybody remember True and Argosy. Don't forget Bob Hagel, Deah Grinnell, Francis Sell, Peter Capstick, Ken Waters, Whelan. So, many others. There was one fellow who was a Pro Hunter in Africa and moved to the US. Can not remember his name, but he wrote good articles. If not mistaken, when he passed, his wife wrote several articles also. Believe he moved to Texas when he came to the US.

Crockett12

Bearcat
I liked them all but especially the complete honesty of Elmer Keith! For those who might be younger and not know him, do yourself a favor and read his book "Hell, I was there"!

"There was one fellow who was a Pro Hunter in Africa and moved to the US. Can not remember his name, but he wrote good articles."

Ross Seyfried, maybe?
Or:
Finn Aagaard was an African PH who relocated to central Texas. Maybe that's who you're thinking of.

Last edited:

bhp9

Bearcat
The Dean of Gun Writers was by far Jack O'Connor. Read his book "Confessions of a Gun Writer" where he exposes the graft and corruption in the gun writing industry. He even devotes an entire chapter about Elmer Keith.

KS25-06

Single-Sixer
I forgot about Ross, however he lived in Colorado. Had a big ranch if I remember correctly. Really liked his writing, quite factual. As I recall, he developed some .577 wildcat that really had a big wallop on both ends.