blackhawk standard grip vs bisley grip explain the two to me

Help Support Ruger Forum:

rob-c

Single-Sixer
for those who have shot both, could you explain how each is different and or better..thanks

sack peterson

Single-Sixer
Bisley grip is lauded for its ability to absorb heavy recoil. And I know nothing about this, as I shoot .22 mostly.

For me Bisley grip somehow forces a natural point, that being a proper and instinctive front and back site alignment. I feel this is kind of under-remarked on as a nice attribute.

brushunter

Single-Sixer
I have both , and perfer the bisley grip. Mostly , it just fits me better and as mentioned above seems to give me a more natural point. My 44 SBH Hunter is the bisley , and yes it seems to make a difference in recoil....though its tough to make any conclusive decision due to the different loads used in the Shovel handled Blackhawk ...and my Hunter wears a scope....that makes a huge difference with holding it also. Actual bottom line.......handle them both...choose which one you like and fits ya the best.

regards , brushunter

M'BOGO

Buckeye
The Bisley is longer than the standard Colt style grip, affording room for a better grip. The longer backstrap, with the different angle, changes the way recoil is transferred to the shooters hand. Under recoil, some roll does happen, but not to the degree experienced with the standard Colt or XR-3 RED gripframes, different still is the Super Blackhawk, and the Hunter gripframes (the difference is the SBH is longer, and has a squared off rear of the triggerguard, and is available in both stainless and blued. The hunter is the same length as the SBH, has a rounded triggerguard, and is available in only stainless).

Notice most of the heavy recoiling customs sport Bisley gripframes.

Bountyhunter

Single-Sixer
This is my newest, and only Bisley. I bought it cause it's a 45Colt and I planned on changing out the grip frame to a plow handle. I've changed my mine. Although ugly, imo, the Bisley grip frame is nice. It is long enough for me to wrap all my fingers around the grip. No pinkie under the grip frame. It also eats up recoil. I can shoot 250 grain XTP's at 1100 fps with practically zero felt recoil. The nose on the longer barrel seems to keep up much easier than one with a plow grip making follow up shots quicker.

002-10.jpg

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
I once set up six Rugers, two Bisleys, two Super Blackhawks and two standard Blackhawks, one each with 4 5/8" and one each 7 1/2" barrel. I shot heavy bullet loads and light high velocity loads, and my preference for heavy loads was the Super Blackhawk grip frame. The Bisley whacked the knuckle of my middle finger severely. I know that's not supposed to happen, but it did. For hard kicking stuff, its the Super Blackhawk for me.

Bob Wright

Sax.45

Single-Sixer
I also have Bisleys, Blackhawks and Super Blackhawks. I prefer the Super Blackhawks for heavy recoil loads.
If you have a chance to hold and fire each type would be the only way to determine which you prefer. You will get reply's about each and they will all be correct. It's all up to you to determine which you prefer...

EDK

Single-Sixer
I used and preferred the DRAGOON grip frame from 1973 until 1997. I bought my first BISLEY then; had it cut to 5.5 inches and a trigger job. The lower hammer also works better for my less agile/arthritic left thumb. AND it is a lot easier to transition from the BISLEY to a double action like my 624 or 629 Smith & Wessons. Several years ago I bought my first HUNTER grip frame...installed it on a 5.5 inch Original Size 44 magnum VAQUERO and also a SUPER BLACK HAWK hammer. This combination works as well for my left as the BISLEY does.

contender

Ruger Guru
The best way you can see the differences is to find someone or a gun range with 2 identical guns in the same caliber where the only difference is the gripframe. Make sure it's a heavier caliber & you'll see the differences easily enough. Then you can make the decisions upon your own experiences.
In general, the Bisley handles heavy recoil much better.

MikeMcD

Bearcat
Bisley vs plow/shovel grip comes up real often. I have had a couple of both and see some difference but not a dogmatic superiority of one over the other. I like the Bisley for the longer grip which works better with a glove (for me), better for two handed grip for hunting, and (for me) one hand consistency. It seems to get back on target MUCH quicker. The muzzle flip, some like/some hate, on the standard BH reduces perceived recoil but impairs full control of the grip. The ruger version is not as extreme as the historical design of yesteryear. I like both and have not had issues with hand banging from either.
It was promoted as a "target" design when first introduced, but I think the whole deal was how the recoil is directed straighter back into the palm allowed the grip of the hand on the gun to remain in place. The old "plow" grip can move enough that the shooter has to re-introduce the hand to its desired grip, which takes time and may cause (unintentional) variations in the grip from shot to shot. (note: I find my grip control experience with the Redhawk similar to the Bisley - - a design intent for DA shooting with firm control.)
That being said, unless you have real big mitts, a firmer grip can retain the Ruger BH standard grip with most loads... You gotta figure this out for yourself cowboy!

dlhredfoxx

Single-Sixer
It's really personal preference. IMHO, the Bisley grip frame helps me control the gun better (shoot more accurately), but only on my really big bore thumpers like .475, .510, etc... I like the SBH grip frame, but have never shot anything more than really hot and heavy 44 mag with that grip frame, and it handles recoil nicely. I do know that really hot 45 colt loads are hard to handle with the XR3-Red plow handle grip frame. I prefer the looks of the plow handle, and make sure all of mine are steel to help a little with recoil (extra weight). IMHO of course...

flatgate

Hawkeye
Yup, it's definitely a "blondes, brunettes or redheads" question.

Me? My favorite is the "Hunter" design and it's hard to find just the grip frame so I make my own.....

50thShooterLR.jpg

Standard Super Blackhawk grip frame with a "Home Boy" rounded trigger guard.

flatgate

PS Oh, yeah, a modified Bisley hammer "rounds out" the package. :D

MaxP

Buckeye
For me, in the really heavy kicking calibers like the .475 and .500 Linebaugh, the .500 Maximum, etc. the Bisley has no equals between the two.

Maybe this photo will help you see the differences between the two types of grip frames. The Bisley is on top.

P1010997.jpg

retiredsquid

Bearcat
I have had the majority of my Rugers converted to Bisley grip frames. They feel more comfortable than standard grip frames from Cowboy to full house loads. Two of my Super Blackhawks have been Mag-Na-Poerted and have left them with standard grip frames.

All have Lett Custom Grips. I sure wish they had remained Ruger's OEM grip makers.