Swapping grip frames?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Hylander

Single-Sixer
So I'm looking at maybe ordering a 5.5" SBH .44
Pretty sure they come with the smaller grip frame than the 7.5"
Will the larger frame fit and if so where might I get one and what should I expect to pay for one.
Also wish they came with the unfluted cylinder.

First question- yes, a Super or Super Hunter frame will fit. But unless you can find one that has been factory installed, you have a bit of a job ahead of you. I fit a Super Hunter replacement grip frame yesterday, and it takes a couple hours of sanding and polishing, and a lot of elbow grease. A word of advice- if you buy one from Midway/Brownells- try it on the main frame first. I have had issues with the Super Hunter frames being machined a bit off center from the factory. Ruger customer service said they would fit a Super frame to a New Vaquero for me, but I wanted to do it myself. The raw replacement frames are around $130 if i remember correctly.

Another option is a grip frame from RW Gripframes. Ronnie makes multiple styles including Super Blackhawk with multiple trigger guard styles, hammer openings, and even an extended frame for big hands. Ronnie's frames only come in brass $350 or aluminum $300. He offers grip panels too. Last time I checked he would fit the frame to your gun for about $150.

Or…get the 7 1/2", and have Fermin Garza shorten the barrel to your preference and install one of his excellent front sights. That way you get the grip frame you want, the non-fluted cylinder, and a great front sight!

gnappi

Single-Sixer
Randybuzz, you're spot on.

I got a Bisley frame with exactly that issue just a bit off center but the hole pattern matched and it fit. The gun I got it for I've wanted to change the grip frame for a long time and I like shooting it more now so a bit of proud metal on the frame is no biggie for me.

In retrospect I should have gone with RW... Next time! :)

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Yes the 5 1/2" SBH comes with the standard XR3-RED size standard grip frame.

Randy's and Arfmel's suggestion to cut or have the barrel cut is the simplest way to go if you aren't inclined to do the work yourself.

Or do you have some fitting, polishing and hole drilling/thread cutting skills?

Barrels are not hard to cut w/o even removing from the gun. Reattach the factory or aftermarket front sight with a screw (like the small frame Ruger front sight).

For future reference:
Grip frame take offs and non-fluted cylinders are not hard to find on gunbroker at very reasonable cost. Using a take off grip frame eliminates 90 to 100 % of the work, because they've already been factory fitted to a gun and blued or polished if stainless.

Hylander

Single-Sixer
Thanks for the input.
Think I'll go the 7.5" and maybe have it cut to 6"
Contacted Fermin Garza. Very nice guy. He can't cut the barrel as he does not have an ffl.
He recommended Jack Huntington, which I do know and is only a 2 hr. Drive from me.

GrizzlyClay

Bearcat
I sent my Ruger single action to RG Wells in Texas and he built a grip frame to fit my hand perfectly.This off the subject but I have been trying to find a 454 Casull in the Toklat model Super Redhawk with the 5 inch barrel,Anyone have a line on one?

GrizzlyClay

Bearcat
Will the larger frame fit and if so where might I get one and what should I expect to pay for one.
Send the gun to RW Wells Grip Frames in Texas. Goggle them.

Armybrat

Buckeye
Yes, what Randyzzz said - the longer Hunter grip frame I ordered from Brownell's has worked very well after quite a bit of fitting.

E771918B-5CCA-413E-9E0A-FD0E95644829.jpeg
DB56777D-B76B-47F4-A9FB-5C8C958BF5A4.jpeg

contender

Ruger Guru
GrizzlyClay,, from what I've learned from talking to Ronnie,, he too has bigger paws & so I'm sure he understands your issues! Looking GREAT there.

Latest posts