comparison info needed on 4 inch 357's

Help Support Ruger Forum:

silverback

Blackhawk
ok guys how does the security six stack compare to the gp and the sp101. I have both but the gp is a bit heavy for conceal and I am having a beast of a time finding a grip I like for the sp101 (tried all but badger so far). I noticed that the security six is only 3 oz heavier than the sp101 and 7 oz lighter than the gp. Being a 4 inch the dimensions should be the same aside from the width.

anone give experience or thoughts on its comfort shooting and carry weight?

MnBulldog

Single-Sixer
I have the Service Six (same as the Security frame) and the SP101 4.2 inch. The SP101, I actually traded a 4" GP for. I prefer the Service to either as far a balance of conceal & handling. All three functioned flawlessly but as you pointed out, the "balance" needs to be just right for your needs. Holster options are a bit more limited than for the GP's, but once you find one that fits your form..
Personal preference for me is the Six series

Hugh

Buckeye
For more than 40 years a 4" blue Security Six .357 was my only carry piece; both field and concealed. I used a Hunter holster but concealed wore it cross-draw and it worked fine. In the field it was strong side on a GI pistol belt. Concealed I used .38 Spl+P, and in the field, what I called "wrist breaker" 158 grain .357 JHP. Until about 2008 it wore the smaller factory grips, and then I went to the larger Ruger target grips. Feels much better.

I still have the old GI pistol belt and prefer it when using a Hunter holster for any sidearm.

eveled

Hawkeye
IMHO, The Six series were the perfect size. It always felt the SP was too big & heavy to only be a 5 shot revolver, and the GP is a little too heavy. The Sixes, ride the fine line between the two. I have all three models and they are all great guns. My preference would be a stainless speed six for concealed carry, and the securtiy six for range or open carry. Ed

ruger357001.jpg

silverback

Blackhawk
hey I am about done with the sp 101. no matter what grip I use I am still struggleing with shot placement. If I adjust my grip so my knuckle doesn't get busted up ,really concentrate on tight grip and watch my trigger finger placement, then my groups be come respectable. otherwise, I am off to the left and about 4 inch groups or more at times 15 yards. I guess its the size of my hands as the grip seems to float (for lack of a better term).

Now I haven't tried badger grips yet. its just that the expense of getting a set of those just to try and if it still doesn't work than that's one more thing to have to sell.

I have tried the OEM, Hogue and Trausch .

the gp 6 inch and 4 inch have set the standard as I am usually about 2 inch or less at 15 yards and don't have to stress over grip or trigger.

I think I am going to trade the sp101 for a security six as I have been reading that it is only about 3 oz heavier than the sp and the grip seems more along the lines of what I am used to.

I just really like the thin profile of the sp 101 but I would rather have the same confidence in my abilities with it as I do with the others.

Now correct me if I am off base.

the speed and service six have no rear sights. the security six is the one with the rear adjustable sights.

I just want to be sure so I can post my trade properly.

thanks for everyone's input .

eveled

Hawkeye
yes you are right the security has adjustable sights, with a squared grip. The service six have the fixed sights and squared grip. The speed has the fixed sight and round grip.

I like the sixes best, but also like to know I can get parts and factory service if I need it. If I wanted a carry revolver, I would go to the GP100 with the fixed sights and the compact grip. Or the Wiley Clapp GP with the Novak sights, if you can find one. I doubt you will notice the extra couple of ounces, and you can see from my picture the Security six and GP100 are nearly identical in size.

silverback

Blackhawk
I already had a 3 inch gp100 with fixed sights. I traded to get the 4 inch gp as my eyes needed the rear adjustable. the sp101 is 30 oz and the gp about 40. the security is supposed to be 33 oz so the weight difference should be noticeable. besides I like the idea of the 4 inch making more use of the 357 round. the wc grips seem narrow at the top. I have a set I am going to sell that I got thinking man these are nice. They are nice but the oem grips feel better to me.

Hugh

Buckeye
Yes, Security Six has adjustable rear sight. Here is my 4" Security Six .357, note the adjustable rear sight, but the grips in this photo are not Ruger grips.
ruger4insecuritysix3572.jpg

Snake45

Hawkeye
Hugh said:
...but the grips in this photo are not Ruger grips.
ruger4insecuritysix3572.jpg
No, they look much better than anything the factory ever put on these guns.

Are they Siles, or perhaps Jay Scotts?

Hugh

Buckeye
Hi Snake, I just don't recall. In a business transaction with our good friend the late Ron Honner, he sent them to me as a gift. I have since replaced them with the Ruger target grips; similar in appearance but feel somewhat better. I believe they are still in my parts box.

silverback

Blackhawk
sweet!!! I am in. I have a set of pachmayr presentation on my redhawk 45 lc and if you carry appendix they seem to do well. I think those type of grips and the security six will be a great combo. I have already looked at a SS from one of our members. I hope he answers soon. I have a guy at the range that expressed interest in my sp101 the other week so things should be a wash.

can't wait to get it and give it a try.

mdewitt71

Single-Sixer
I bought a new SP101 4.2 and had it a lil over a week only to trade for a new in box 2 yr old GP100 in 4 inch.
I liked the GP better....... Wish I could of found a clean Sec Six, my father's was a sweet shooter and I really like them better out of the three.
Wish they still make them to the original specs, good carry and good shooting pistol.

silverback

Blackhawk
Ok I am being lazy as I haven't started to research what the changes were made when Ruger started making the gp100. anyone have that info or a link?

eveled

Hawkeye
The only functional difference is that the knurled cylinder pin spins with the cylinder on the Six series. The pin on the GP is smooth and doesn't spin. The differences inside are significant. Ed

GP100man

Buckeye
On the GP the trigger asm contains all the lock work to make the revolver run.
The crane was given a front latch instead of the ejector rod on the SS series.
A "monogrip" configuration was incorporated so grips had unlimited possibilities (Thank You Mr. Lett for designing a good General Purpose grip)
Was avaible with a half lug or full shroud barrel.
Standard Ruger revolver adjustable rear site & easily changed front, or fixed sites.

The part that sold me in `85 was there were no screws in the major workings of the revolver NONE!
The only screws (3 of em)grip screw, the windage screw,& elevation screw can all fall out & the revolver can still be shot!

Not to mention there as strong a production 357 mag revolver made at an affordable price

Timber Wolf

Single-Sixer
I have all three (or more if you count varients) of the SP101, Six series, & GP, all in .357 and stainless. The bigger 4" GP is my favorite to shoot, the little 3 1/16" SP is my favorite to carry, and one of the snub or 4" Speed/Service/Securitys are my favorite to look at. Perhaps strangely, I actually prefer the factory grips on the SP but have changed to Hogues or Pach Pro Grippers on the GP & Six series guns. A previous poster mentioned issues finding holster options for the Six series. As they are pretty much the same size as S&W K frame guns there are maybe more holsters out there for them than any other revolver.

silverback

Blackhawk
well found a great deal on a NIB 161 prefix. I will be getting it in within the next week or so. I also found some cheap use pachmayr presentation grips long and short to try out. I do like the way the presentations work on my redhawk 45lc. turned it into a super soft shooting weapon. Yeah I would like the looks of wood on the six and if it ends up being a keeper I may try some out but for now I am going on the cheap for a trial run. Now I just need to sell the the sp101 4 inch 357. I am so fortunate to have sold some of my ammo and semi auto stuff to be able to do this trial and error thing.

By the end I will have the weapon that I know for sure is a keeper and works in all the ways I want it with no doubts.

I can't afford to keep them all and only use each for a specific purpose. so the one 6 inch and 4 inch is more than enough.

Well of course until I start looking at the single actions again!!!!! Did I say that out loud??? LOL!!!

shaffe48

Single-Sixer
Do you have any experience shooting a lighter .357? I have the SP and GP. I definitely notice the difference when shooting the SP because the recoil can pull the gun to the left if I don't have a strong and even grip, but this has less to do with the grips than the weight of the gun vs recoil. I shoot the GP with compact grips similar to the SP grips and don't have this problem...

If the problem is weight, I'm not sure the extra 3 oz will save you. I used a hand gripper exercise tool for a while until I could really clamp down on the handle and make quick accurate shots. Besides, 4 inch groups at 15 yards a little to the left. Doesn't sound bad for what a small frame revolver is for...hitting center of mass from 15 FEET. If you want something more, you might look at a bigger gun that's designed for longer shots. Just because you put a long barrel on a compact revolver doesn't design it to this purpose.

Just my two cents over carrying (street and woods) and shooting (IDPA, target, backyard) both these revolvers for four years with several thousand rounds through.

silverback

Blackhawk
yeah my gp 4 inch has the fixed sight grips and I have no issue what so ever.

I did notice a significant difference in perceived recoil or muzzle flip from the 3 inch sp101 to the 4 inch sp101. I have a rather strong grip but it does seem that "over gripping the weapon" takes my focus from front sight to grip and I am not comfortable with that. I like to have everything as standard as possible (grip, trigger, etc.) from one weapon to the next. this way my muscle memory reactions are similar and I can place my focus on front sight rather then thinking about grip , trigger finger placement and worrying about getting my knuckle busted up when I go to the range.

I just got a well used set of pachmayr presentation grips (short version) for the security six. I think they will do well with my hands and they are very similar to the OEM grip on the gp and my redhawk 4 inch 45lc (pachmayr presentation grips) in terms of feel.

I went with the longer barrel for the rear sights. My eyes didn't do well with the notch sights on the 3 inch gp and sp101. They just couldn't pick up and get a decent sight picture quick enough for my liking.

Now I do understand that the security six will still have more recoil vs. the gp. I am hoping the 3 oz and presentation grips will get me close enough to what I am looking for. If not then the gp 4 inch will be my go to weapon and I will just deal with the weight.

right now I have the extra gun money and for the first time I can try every available option. this way I will be sure the weapon I have is the one that suits me best with no doubts or regrets.

we shall see soon enough if this works.

shaffe48

Single-Sixer
"right now I have the extra gun money and for the first time I can try every available option. this way I will be sure the weapon I have is the one that suits me best with no doubts or regrets."

Sounds like you've got it figured. There isn't a security six you can test fire before hand?

"I did notice a significant difference in perceived recoil or muzzle flip from the 3 inch sp101 to the 4 inch sp101."

Not sure on the physics here except maybe the weight to the muzzle decreases muzzle flip and it is 3 oz heavier than the 3 inch. I know that the extra barrel length would reduce perceived recoil because it would have less muzzle blast. As far as grip, there are as many answers to that as there are people, but that works for me with close range work with the SP-101...grip it until my hands shake. Good luck.