Do You Like Seafood Salad?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Renna Seafood Salad "Grand Festa" in Oil

My wife brought this home from bingo the other day. Would you eat any of it. Makes me squeamish.
Ingredients: sunflower oil, squids, small octopuses, octopuses, mussels, cuttlefishes, shrimps, water, wine vinegar, sea salt, sugar, parsley, garlic... 

Imported from Italy   

http://www.rennasrl.com/en/products/

They have quite a collection of pickled edit(marinated) seafood and vegetables.

Conservative

Blackhawk
Absolutely!

Wow, it looks wonderful.

I'll be looking into buying some.

I love trying new food to shove down me gob.

Conservative

Blackhawk
According to Andrew Zimmern almost 'everthing' is fit to eat.

I'm surprised he hasn't eaten 'long pig' by now...

Back to the topic.

Everything and anything seafood is fine by me, but yes, I do prefer "fresh", but heck, pickled would be just fine too.

Coop

Blackhawk
Cuttlefish HAH!

60 years ago I worked at a marina/commercial fishing wharf in Belmar, NJ as a "boat boy". Part of my duties included removing cuttlefish from the real catch, placing them on a cutting board, and "made Scallops" out of their wings with a small cookie cutter. I then took that product over to a local famous seafood café where they were cooked and sold as "scallops". <<GGG>>

wizofwas

Buckeye
I would at least try it. I'm not very big on pickled stuff. The octopus is nothing more than calamari. And the mussels would be thrown out.

Conservative

Blackhawk
Hhhmmmm, fried, herbed and thinly battered, calamari (octopus) is one of my all time favorite appetizers.

My favorite Italian restaurant makes it so good, I could eat that alone with a glass or two (I'm not driving) white wine and would be one happy camper.

I also like escargot (not seafood, snails of course, but somewhat similar to seafood) drenched with garlic butter sauce mopped up with great French baguettes or crusty Italian bread as an appetizer, but yes, this one too I could make a meal of...

Then too, I eat a lot of rather exotic this and that...let's face it, white bread Americans (of which I am) often find what they're not familiar something they scuttle, pronto pronto, away from.

Having had the good fortune to travel extensively, I love barbecued Cabrito (baby goat) Fried Alligator, Rattlesnake, well seasoned and lovingly prepared Turtle steaks and ok, I could, but won't go on and on about seemingly strange food for some. OK, one more. There is a certain kind of ants (more than one kind) that are out of this world cooked properly. Honestly, but I can see the food skeptics shaking their collective heads in dismay and disapprobation...unless you have the opportunity and food eating courage, you're missing out on some great groceries.

About the only fish, I've not tried is Puffer. They'r lethal if improperly prepared, but I've played with them while scuba diving in the tropics throughout the world.

P.S. If you stand still long enough, I might slice off a bit your ham, you delicious looking creature you.

C'mere, wait, stop running away...

Conservative

Blackhawk
ronzonie01,

More than one quite delicious seafood critter has been cookie cutter cut and called scallops. Ray of all kinds is delicious along with cuttlefish - similar in taste and texture to scallops.

For a short time, as a sideline money maker in Cape Cod as a small kid, I was a seasonal bay scallop shucker. I've also been as a younster (again for a short time) a Gulf of Mexico shrimper. A lowly header I was...

First time I ate anything resembling Sushi was drilling down raw bay scallops and didn't realize I was eating something sweeter and arguably better than caviar. Of course, scallops are much milder than briny caviar, which I also happen to come to love, the scallops were a great start on eating Sushi too.

Some folks can't bear eating raw seafood, but they're missing out, bragging how 'they don't eat bait'. O.K. fine, more for me.

Thing is, I too was brought up with white bread taste and exposure to pedestrian food. Turning my nose up at anything not ever tried previously. Yep, baloney on white with mayonnaise. We were desperately poor, in ...everything. Especially, quality/exotic foodstuff. Campbells tomato soup and saltines. Yum...gack...

As time passed and my ability to afford and eat seafood I'd never heard of like Sushi or Sashimi or as in this thread 'pickled seafood', I couldn't get enough. Still can't.

Turn your nose up at that you haven't eaten because (down not terribly deep) you're afraid too, means you may very well be missing something you'd be ecstatic to eat again once tried, but hey, no doubt, it's your life...to miss out.

eveled

Hawkeye
It's not pickled, it's packed in oil. Pickled would be in vinegar. Big difference. I was trying to bite my tongue, but couldn't.

Conservative

Blackhawk
Gentlemen,

I'm going to inform you that what you ate was ill prepared.

Properly prepared Calimari is not rubber band textured.

P.S. I bought some octopus from a fish market, got it home, thinking I was in for a treat and the final cooked product was inedible.

Octopus HAS to be properly prepared just like anything you eat, if not cooked right it can be awful.

Pierow

Blackhawk
Yes, I like seafood salad. Eat enough of it and eventually you'll have one of those octopus suckers stuck to your tongue. You have to make a wish when that happens.................or at least I do.

Conservative said:
......First time I ate anything resembling Sushi was drilling down raw bay scallops and didn't realize I was eating something sweeter and arguably better than caviar......

Conservative,

Is "drilling down" a reference to how you shuck scallops or how voraciously you were eating them? Either way I am getting hungry:)

Pierow

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
OK I got the link to work so you can browse their products and my wife informed me 'marinated' is the correct description.

http://www.rennasrl.com/en/products/

I believe Calamari is chopped and prepared Squid not Octopus. I have eaten that and it was ok but not what I would normally order in a restaurant.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/12856/calamari/
"12 squid, cleaned and sliced into rings"

Conservative

Blackhawk
Pierow,

My silly way of saying how I ate them.

I also at 11 got a license to harvest scallops. I did so without mask, fins or wetsuit and the waters in the Cape Cod area are cold at their warmest in summer and fridgit during scallop season. Oh, the scallops I harvested are bottom dwelling free swimmers.

I would take a burlap bag with me to the bottom and grab them one at a time until I got half a bag or more and would have to quit. By then, I was close to being cyanotic and my eyes hurt from the salt.

The effort was worth it.

I sold them for a handsome profit, though my license was only for personal consumption. Yeah, I was scallop bandit.

In the summer months, I would dive and hand dig quahogs and sell them to tourists - a buck for dozen. The tourists had enough for chowder and I had enough for a hamburger and fries. It worked quite acceptably and I loved digging bull quahogs, but of course my hands would be somewhat cut up. It was to be expected and not complained about.

Conservative

Blackhawk
Jimbo357mag,

You are absolutely correct!

Calimari is squid, not Octopus.

For reasons unbeknownst to me, I often refer to one as the other.

However, I've eaten both many times to find them equal in flavor, texture and sheer deliciousness.

Colonialgirl

Hawkeye
Sounds GOOD to me !!
AND escargot gets my vote TOO !!

Maybe I should add my love of Abalone very slightly breaded and quickly fried, MMMMM
Now don't leave out freshly shucked Raw Oysters, slurped down.

Latest posts