Do you own a Gat, Heater or Roscoe?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ProfessorWes

Hawkeye
I have so far managed to refrain from naming any of my guns, although if I ever get a coach gun I'll - yes, Wendy - have to call it my boomstick. Bruce Campbell rules.

I did once in jest call my original Lipsey's .44 SPL Flattop "Three Steps" after a former, very nosy, co-worker eavesdropped on a conversation I was having with another co-worker at the time about that particular gun. It was right after I'd bought it. Said Nosey: "Gawd, you two sound like a Lynryd Skynryd song!"

At which point I thanked Nosey for helping me come up with my new sixgun's new name.

At which point Nosey gave me a funny look and walked off, acting as if her bottom were on sideways and she had to poop really bad, while the other co-worker was snorking hard enough he nearly emptied his sinuses.

I spent the next week expecting a call from HR that never came. Although it was a couple of weeks before Nosey would talk to either me or the other guy . . .

Gopher

Single-Sixer
And if anyone says a pew pew, I'm gonna ask a moderator to shut the thread down, that's just wrong.
Unfortunately, using that term on Facebook, YouTube, and some discussion forums has become necessary to get around their AI and human censorship.

wheelgun1958

Buckeye
My Roscoe

Attachments

• IMG_20190825_210737~2.jpg
    IMG_20190825_210737~2.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 9
I don't quite understand giving names to inanimate objects, but I understand that naming boats is a long and accepted tradition. When people name their cars, or motorcycles, or guns for that matter it always makes me wonder if that person actually thinks that the object is self aware, or has emotions or is otherwise alive. My brother had a neighbor who named her car Sally or something, and asked my brother to look in on "her" while the neighbor was away on vacation, stating that "Sally" might be feeling lonely in the dark garage. Clearly this neighbor was mentally ill, and it seems that people naming objects are also slightly on that same spectrum, more or less.

But none of the above pertains to having a slang word for a type of object, only for those who give the object an actual name.

KIR

Sparks, NV
In a post on the "Shooters Forum" (Winchester sub-forum) I referred to my new (old) Winchester Rifle as a "Winnie". Nobody knew what I was talkin' 'bout. They said they never heard of a Winchester rifle referred to that way.
I can be quite formal sometimes and I refer to "them" as firearms which encompasses both pistols and long guns. Other wise, I refer to them by manufacturer and their model name, number or caliber.

protoolman

Service-Sixer
In a post on the "Shooters Forum" (Winchester sub-forum) I referred to my new (old) Winchester Rifle as a "Winnie". Nobody knew what I was talkin' 'bout. They said they never heard of a Winchester rifle referred to that way.
I can be quite formal sometimes and I refer to "them" as firearms which encompasses both pistols and long guns. Other wise, I refer to them by manufacturer and their model name, number or caliber.
My great uncle referred to his Winchester 94 as the old thutty-thutty.

375hh1973

Single-Sixer
I got a buddy that is a gun-term Nazi. I refer to whatever pistol I'm carrying as my click clack. Drives him nuts.

One day we were out running around checking out the local gun shops and I asked the guy behind the counter for some clips for my assault rifle. Thought my buddy was gonna have a stroke