Do you own a Gat, Heater or Roscoe?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I thought 'Rosco" just before I saw 3manfan's reply....

My first revolver I bought I named Mable and then the next one was Maggie but then after about two more I realized this was getting ridiculous .... then I switched to semi-autos and now it would be way too confusing.... especially when you have quadruplets or more....

And dern... now I need to name the pistol I carry now.... I do like tunnug's post about 'nug'. and I as I typed his name I got that too.... when ever my wife and I discuss taking the dog for a walk we refer to it as a 'godklaw'.

gunzo

Hunter
When I carry, we {wife and I) call it a nug, that way if anyone's wthin earshot they have no idea what we're talking about, comes from an old episode of Frazier "watch it, he has a nug", she was dyslexic.
Come to think of it, I've used "Nug" a few times. I heard Col. Blake on M.A.S.H. say it when he was reading a requisition paper upside down.
In real life & between two people it's pretty good code IMO. "honey, somethings happing, & we need the nug."

Papalote

Single-Sixer
In 60 years of owning firearms I have never named a firearm. I either refer to their model number or brand. Anything else is picked up from watching movies and too much TV. Just my thoughts, don't mind me, I'm just a old man.

stonebuster

Single-Sixer
Heritage actually makes a "Roscoe" now. Kind of a Model 36 clone or better finished Taurus.
20240625_092103.jpg

el caminero

Single-Sixer
One decrepit old import had DEFENEDER in dymotape on the backstrap, which had fallen off by the time i got it, and the glue pattern showed up when i cleaned it up.
Another, a corroded police-auction item, promptly got nicknamed Ol' Crusty, now has a "new" barrel and a magnum cylinder. I still have them, no pawnshop will take them (beiderbeck's plastic selmer comes to mind). A 44 sbh the previous owner had bubba'd down to about 4", got nicknamed bubba gunn, The smith corona got named smithy, the lcsmith is le grande dame. No reason yet to name any others

el caminero

Single-Sixer
Isn't a pew pew what comes out of your butt after certain vittles?

I call mine a heater, after watching Star Trek TOS "A Piece Of The Action.". A bonus with that episode is you can learn to play a card game Fizbin, but you can only learn it at night, if it is Tuesday and when it is raining, or some such! :)
I have never calculated the odds of a double fizbin!

gunzo

Hunter
I saw Bogeys pic & thought of one more. But it isn't a term in general for a gun, but only one gun.

"The Chicago type righter."

And that would be?

outlaw_dogboy

Single-Sixer
I just own pistols. Well, except for my rifles or shotguns. I usually even refer to my revolver as my pistol (even though I know that causes a lot of people to get a case of curmudgeon). If it is a single-action, I'll call it my cowboy-gun.

I saw Bogeys pic & thought of one more. But it isn't a term in general for a gun, but only one gun.

"The Chicago type righter."

And that would be?
Thompson

I don't name my guns. I refer to them by caliber and descriptor. I have used the term nugs for marking boxes of holsters and other accessories when moving though.

Paul B

Hunter
In my own redneck vernacular, "Roscoe" is only used if the rod in question is a chromed or nickeled, small framed, .32 revolver. All other revolvers are simply "shooters"....."Heater"?; now that's got to be a 1911 or 1911-A1 .45 Auto and nothing else, no doubt about it....No idea about "Gat", but somebody said that that's what they call their Glocks. It does sounds like it fits though.

DGW
Would a very shiny S&W M60 .38 Spl. qualify?
Paul B.