Free Blackhawk "Trigger Job"

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ditto1958

Blackhawk
Unhooking the spring on one side makes a Ruger single action trigger noticeably lighter. It's easy and fast. And free. My question, however, is whether it's in any way bad for the gun? Does shooting it that way make anything wear out or break any faster?

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Can do no damage whatsoever.

The only issue that's ever surfaced is slow trigger return which is not common. But if you find after pulling the trigger, that you can not cock the hammer or open the loading gate, the trigger has not returned completely to the forward position.

This should not happen with one or even the spring legs on both sides unhooked. (Both legs off is usually too light anyway). The cause of trigger hanging back is usually contact with the side of the trigger slot in the trigger guard or dirty innards. Correct as needed.

Enjoy!

cas6969

Buckeye
Of course the same thing can be achieved by tuning/adjusting the spring and leaving both sides on.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
I think keeping the forces equal on both sides makes the trigger work better. Here is how you adjust the tension.

http://www.cylindersmith.com/triggerspring.html

contender

Ruger Guru
Many have done this, and had good results. We usually call this a "poor mans trigger job."

Will it hurt the gun? Nope.

But I once bought a nice, boxed 357 Maximum, 10-1/2" for $275. Why? The guy selling got the gun in a trade for labor, and told me the action hung up a little occasionally. As I tried the gun, it had the bad habit of hanging up as I tried to cock it. After I bought it, I found a slightly bent & unhooked trigger return spring. The one unhooked leg was binding in the mainspring.

Rclark

Hunter
Many have done this, and had good results. We usually call this a "poor mans trigger job."
Yep, most all of mine have had one leg off on time or another. No harm what-so-ever in doing so. My tuned revolvers though have both legs back on as pull weight was adjusted elsewhere.

rob-c

Single-Sixer
contender said:

Will it hurt the gun? Nope.

But I once bought a nice, boxed 357 Maximum, 10-1/2" for $275. Why? The guy selling got the gun in a trade for labor, and told me the action hung up a little occasionally. As I tried the gun, it had the bad habit of hanging up as I tried to cock it. After I bought it, I found a slightly bent & unhooked trigger return spring. The one unhooked leg was binding in the mainspring.

I did mine and after a year I pulled the Blackhawk apart to give it a good cleaning and found my loose leg was rubbing on the coil spring. I spent the little bit of money and ordered the trigger spring kit from wolf springs and tried the different springs till I found the one I liked , left the hammer spring stock . For the money cant really beat the spring kit .

medicdave

Blackhawk
Angling the lugs as described above makes a big difference, but my favorite are the old trapper spring aftermarket springs. The change in geometry makes a big difference with out affecting performance.

SPBhawk

Single-Sixer
Jimbo357mag said:
I think keeping the forces equal on both sides makes the trigger work better. Here is how you adjust the tension.

http://www.cylindersmith.com/triggerspring.html

Yes that's the trick, I've done it to all my Rugers and it works great.

cas6969

Buckeye
LMAO

I really need to bring that page up to date. It's painful to read. :lol:

salover

Single-Sixer
I've used Wolff springs on a couple of Blackhawks and been satisfied with the results. Also used the Trapper spring kits on five Security Sixes and I think they're hard to beat. My SS 6inch trigger works like oil on glass.

Latest posts