GP 100 44 mag. gone now

Help Support Ruger Forum:

A

Anonymous

Thats right Danny 2 blocks away just a minute or so each way, want to time me?

frogger

Bearcat
evilgun said:
Frogger live in a small town?

No. I have to drive 10 miles or so to get to a small town... and it is so small it has 2 red lights and a population of 1038. Where I live, the cows out number the people.

RonS

Single-Sixer
sounds like a missmarked gun, either a GP with the wrong caliber or a Redhawk with the wrong model. When you get it home post pictures.

5of7

Hunter
RonS said:
sounds like a missmarked gun, either a GP with the wrong caliber or a Redhawk with the wrong model. When you get it home post pictures.

I agree, but either way it should not be a matter of confusion to a gun shop owner who doubtless has 44 Mg. ammo to try in it to see if it is really a 44 Mg., and/or other GP100s to compare to it for size.

A problem like this should not take more than 2 minuets to solve.

I am inclined to think that someone is jerking us around here.... :D

Quarterbore

Blackhawk
I would get pictures of the gun. If it is a Redhawk with a GP100 Roll Mark, strangely enough I would buy it for no other reason then it would be unique.

If it is a GP100 that somehow is marked 44, well it would be fun to send that gun to Ruger for warenty work asking why you can't fit 44 Mag ammo in your gun when it says so on the barrel.

The third possibility is some fool had the gun engraved after the fact. That is probably the most likely but why they would do that is beyond me unless it was a 44 Spl conversion of a GP100.

bearman49709

Bearcat
frogger said:
evilgun said:
Open till 9:00pm it's 8:44pm here now pacific stanard time on the west coast, your what 3 hours ahead of me?

Ok... all joking aside about the GP100... You have a gun shop that is open until 9pm!? I am SOOOOOOOO jealous. I work nights so I'm not usually out of bed until 4pm or later and all the shops around here close by 5 or 6:00.

You don't want to live by me, my local LGS is open 9:00am-12:00am (midnight) sunday- friday, 9:00-8:00pm saterday (has to watch boxing). He is also open on holiday's.

Pal Val

Buckeye
Gentlemen, allow me to suggest that the worst thing one can do with a pile of bull manure is to spread it out.

Something tells me that in that shop, next to that GP100 in .44 Mag you will find a left-hand threaded glibber and the keys to the Parade Grounds.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

DGV

Bearcat
your a liar and a whore! Liar whore, liar whore, and you know it!

5of7

Hunter
DGV said:
your a liar and a whore! Liar whore, liar whore, and you know it!

Well I think that may be a little strong, but someone involved doesn't know much about guns, that's for sure......else why the confusion about what it actually is?

chet15

Hawkeye
evilgun said:
Open till 9:00pm it's 8:44pm here now pacific standard time on the west coast, your what 3 hours ahead of me?

evilgun:
I'll help you out a little. Errors do happen all the time and I wouldn't be surprised if Ruger mismarked a GP100 with .44 mag. on the barrel lug....but, I'd bet you can't get a .44 Mag in either of the six chambers (Ruger didn't make SP101's in .22 Mag. either but I know of three of them that were factory rollmarked .22 Mag. on the barrel lug).
If you find out a little more about that one, send me a PM. Always interested in hearing about some of these "human made late Friday Specials". Also, if there was one, there's probably more, so if you have a chance to catch the sn on that one, I'd be interested in knowing what range they can be found.
Could turn out to be a pretty rare gun, because I doubt Ruger would want a .44 Mag. marked GP100 out in the public. 'Course it didn't seem to bother them much with the "Vaquero" rollmark on the 2,000 .44 Special New Vaqueros that were recently made also.
Oh and...whatever happened to "innocent until proven guilty?" Have a feeling some of you guys will be feeling quite ashamed of yourselves....but maybe not. You all need to remember that even modern manufacturing methods are not foolproof....as long as there's a human being at the controls, something out of the ordinary is bound to happen. If this turns out the way I think it might, you may all need to take a lesson in listening and learning.
And evilgun, if it does turn out to be a mismarked GP100, I hope you buy it and make a mint on it from one of these other yahoo's!!! :D , but I have a feeling some of you guys wouldn't know what it was even if you held it in your hand.
Chet15

Terry T

Buckeye
Love to see photos. I've taken to carrying my little camera with me when I wander around gun shops - never know what I might run into. Can't always buy it but like to pick up info.

'DVG'
You are WAY over the top on this one.
I have 3 factory mis-marked Ruger guns and one mis-marked S&W in my small collection and I'm aware of several more. No, I don't think it's a factory GP100 in 44mag but I agree with Chad, it could be a mis-marked piece. Could even be a custom conversion with a 5 shot cylinder. Lots of very real possibilities.

'Evilgun':
If you buy it, bring it to the show in May. I might be one of those 'yahoos' who'd love to take it off of your hands. :D
Terry T

c.r.

Single-Sixer
surveyor47 said:
Take a 0.429 bullet and compare it to the throat of a 357 GP100. Doesnt leave a whole heck of a lot of space for a 0.429 barrel does it? If there was enough barrel left to chamber a 0.429 barrel, some gunsmith would have done it. The heaviest GP100 caliber conversion that I have heard of is 41 Magnum, 0.410- and that is quite a lot.

Per David Clements' website, he is again converting the gp-100 to 44 spcl....................... very tempting.

it is a 5-shot cylinder, but he does rebore the factory barrel. And Mr. Clements states it will handle 250 grain bullets at 1200 fps.

i also believe reeder does a 44 spcl along with the 41 now too, but i believe reeder uses a custom barrel

5of7

Hunter
chet15 said:
evilgun said:
Oh and...whatever happened to "innocent until proven guilty?" Have a feeling some of you guys will be feeling quite ashamed of yourselves....but maybe not. You all need to remember that even modern manufacturing methods are not foolproof....as long as there's a human being at the controls, something out of the ordinary is bound to happen. If this turns out the way I think it might, you may all need to take a lesson in listening and learning.

I can't speak for others here, but MY thought is that it should be perfectly simple to ascertain whether it is a mis-marked GP100 or a Redhawk that is mis-marked.

There is a lot of difference in the size of these two guns and certainly in a GUN SHOP, the necessary ammunition and guns should be present to prove what is what.

If 44 Mg. ammo goes into the cylinder then it is a .44 Mg. If it don't, it ain't. Simple as that. Then if it does chamber .44 Mg ammo, compare it to another GP100 or to a Redhawk to see and tell us what you find out.

A lack of doing either of those simple things is an indication of someone talking through his hat.
8)

DPris

Buckeye
There never was a Ruger factory-made GP100 in .44 Magnum caliber.
Period.
Don't know what you saw, but it was not a Ruger factory built GP100 chambered for the .44 Magnum.

I can't imagine how you could have been wanting a gun that never existed for "forever". :)

Denis

lovesrugers

Bearcat
I have not dog in this hunt but I do live in Washington. What dealer has the gun in question? If I am close I wouldn't mind taking a peak at it. I live in the Puget sound area.

Jerry