Vaquero ( NOT New Vaquero)
Case colored / blued
4 5/8 barrel
Mint condition
No box

Ball park on value please.

Sacramento Johnson

Blackhawk
I think the price is very locale dependent. Around here, New Vaqueros in brand new condition are going for around $ 850-900, before tax etc. First gen Vaqueros are quite rare around here and usually pretty used when they do turn up.
For a pristine first gen Vaquero, blued, as you describe, I would consider $750 or less worth looking at and $600 and under, a steal! I've been following GB prices and sold used has occasionally dropped into the 600s the last few months, but then one doesn't really know the condition and those prices don't include shipping which has really gone up, GB fees, taxes, transfer fees, etc.
(BTW, saw a used but pristine Ruger Blackhawk, blued, 4 5/8 inch barrel, in 41 mag (a rare one around here!) at a LGS today for an amazing $579 if I recall right; would have claimed it if my 'mad money piggy bank' hadn't been empty!)

Last edited:

contender

Ruger Guru
In my area,, about $700.00. I just looked at one FS on a local site last night. It was a .357,, and stainless, and has been for sale there for about 3 weeks. Asking price is $750 and nobody has jumped on it.

hittman

Staff member
This gun is super clean and straight but the case coloring concerns me a little. Maybe I just haven't seen enough of them. This one seems to have no gold colors in the case colors, just silver. Made me wonder if someone tried to rub it off. Is that possible? Isn't the case color usually gold?

I don't really remember any gold color but it's been a while since I looked at my old Vaqueros. I believe the case colors also fade with exposure to light. The process used by Ruger wasn't very durable. can you provide a picture?

I have the 7 1/2" version of that gun and also a baby Vaquero in 32H&R , both are CC/B ,, neither one of them have what i would consider very good coloring of the frame , both have faded and are quite dull . But if you don't mind that , they're really nice guns to have and shoot , since that is the short 4 5/8" barreled gun I would expect it to go in the mid $700's, if it has the box and papers even better yet.

hard to beat that as a carry around gun that will do any thing you ask of i, from lite loads to heavy

good gun and can be used with ANY "Ruger" loads unlike the New Vaquero, yes that "inked" ( faux case color) does fade, keep it oiled up... prices , the same thing around here unboxed, used in the $600-700 range for the blued /color, and a bit more for the stainless ones they all push over $700 last few shows......:cool:;)

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
I would say $600 these days, especially after losing money on the last three boxed Vaqueros I sold on GB :rolleyes:

I only got $610 for the same gun in the much rarer 44-40, for instance, and then had to pay $33 selling fees.

Second the advice to keep that fake case coloring oiled. It seems to make the frame a rust magnet. And it will definitely fade over time.

BamaGreg

Bearcat
I don't really remember any gold color but it's been a while since I looked at my old Vaqueros. I believe the case colors also fade with exposure to light. The process used by Ruger wasn't very durable. can you provide a picture?
The Ruger "Case Coloring" is not true case hardening. It is a chemically applied finish and will fade over time and will eventually look mostly silver colored.