Stag grips Opinon please

Help Support Ruger Forum:

martyj

Blackhawk
Id be willing to bet from what I read that these are not made by Ruger but would appreciate an experts opinion.I
I would like to find some more for 7.50 if anyone has some for sale.
thanks

Attachments

• IMG_1197.JPG
    IMG_1197.JPG
    195 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_1198.JPG
    IMG_1198.JPG
    170.3 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_1199.JPG
    IMG_1199.JPG
    296.9 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_1200.JPG
    IMG_1200.JPG
    316 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_1201.JPG
    IMG_1201.JPG
    256.1 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_1202.JPG
    IMG_1202.JPG
    203.3 KB · Views: 75
Im no expert but to me the bottoms are to flat the ones i have are all beveled /tappered but like i said im no expert they are all a little bit different also the medallion placement seems off

Gramps

Last edited:
I swear I just read about this today... I can't find that now, but I did find some info on another site. That site had a few different examples and the medallion on yours look like an example from eagle grip company. FWIW, if you have the gun they came with you can get an LOA from Ruger that would indicate how it shipped.

I don't think you'll find any grips, original or aftermarket for $7.50 though....

martyj

Blackhawk
Bevel picture.
In case there is any doubt im not a photographer

Attachments

• IMG_1204.JPG
    IMG_1204.JPG
    157 KB · Views: 79
look good to me , vintage too, that early kinda blah color, as all the newer stag form India and other places are way too white, bright (Sanbar I believe they call it) , that what Eagle Ajax and the others were/are using, who ever is still in business?? Ajax sold out twice and not sure whats going with them now.......
yes back in the old days the stag grips from Ruger ( NO they are , were not made by Ruger) were priced at $7.50,,,got many of them back then and the shapes contours of the bark, the flats, the location of the medallions, and the bevel at the bottoms were all too often "different"...it is the staking, how the holes were drilled , that was ther tell tale signs,,,,you get a dozen pairs of grips put them all together see, many differences and will get about that many 'opinions' as to just what is what, real or fake,,,if TOO PERFECT, I am skeptical, as well as just what the price may be and just who you are buying them from ,most of the big time 'fakers' are dead and gone, and they put out and made MORE stags and ivories , than the factory ever did sell.......caveat emptor baby, when it comes to paying the BIG BUCKS......:cool::rolleyes:

contender

Ruger Guru
Sadly,, it's very hard to determine if a set of stags or ivories are original or counterfeits as Dan has alluded to. There have been a few folks in the past who made forgeries of these things when they could get the stag & ivory cheaply.
And even among collectors, the discussions about "original or fake" has always been a lively one. Some of the fakes are so good, you really have a hard time deciding. Others,, not too hard to see the mistakes made.

But in my very humble & limited experience opinion on these grips,,, it's actually possible they MIGHT be original. But as Dan has also shared; "they put out and made MORE stags and ivories , than the factory ever did sell.......caveat emptor baby, when it comes to paying the BIG BUCKS......:cool::rolleyes: !"

Johnnu2

Hunter
Some of our real experts in Stags have not chimed in as yet; makes me think that those grips are definitely 100% REAL.
Probably worth more than $500 to Ruger collectors IMHO.....if you get a bunch of PMs/conversation requests, they're REAL :)

J.

..."real experts...??? Ty and I have probably seen, had, dealt with and worked with MORE stag grips that 95 % of the folks here on the forum, and we BOTH know the other 2-3 % who may know,,,as noted above it is all "opinion" by any of us, and as I said IF TOO perfect, I wonder, worry and add the caveat........and YES MORE were made , faked redone, by aftermarket sources than the factory EVER sold ( had made) and even then too the factory used different vendors and they too made them different from each other,,,so which is which, and which is right??? careful with your money boys and girls, you can and will get burned...I NEVER in all these years paid more that $275 for ANY pair of Ruger stags and that was ONE pair from John Dougan at the NRA Salt Lake City convention back in the early 1990s, and I passed them on to the late Don Wilks cause he wanted a pair....the majority of mine came on guns and the prices were always right, MORE than fair and often times the "stags" ( and ivories) came with the guns, "free"..........you can't beat that........:cool::rolleyes:;)

martyj

Blackhawk
Im going to send in to Ruger and get a letter for the revolver.
Who knows maybe it was ordered with the stag grips in 1959.

JAYDAWG

Single-Sixer
I have never had a letter tell me what grips shipped on a gun, But I never asked :D . I believe they have record of it on the original invoice, but only consult the day book for ship date and destination for the letters.
Also, a person could buy stag & ivories from Ruger and put them on yourself.
Almost impossible, I think, to determine if they came on the gun from the factory.

Let us know.
Cheers,
JaydaWg

Johnnu2

Hunter
..."real experts...??? Ty and I have probably seen, had, dealt with and worked with MORE stag grips that 95 % of the folks here on the forum, and we BOTH know the other 2-3 % who may know,,,as noted above it is all "opinion" by any of us, and as I said IF TOO perfect, I wonder, worry and add the caveat........and YES MORE were made ,
Apologies rugerguy, I should have said: "some of our OTHER real experts"....
I know you and Ty are amongst the most knowledgeable and most willing to share your expertise.

J.

I have never had a letter tell me what grips shipped on a gun, But I never asked :D . I believe they have record of it on the original invoice, but only consult the day book for ship date and destination for the letters..Let us know.
Cheers,
JaydaWg

My letter for my Single Six revolver says: "...is designated as model RSSMW and is chambered in .22 WMR." The "W" indicates a walnut grip.

hittman

Staff member
Yeah but I don't think Ruger marketed a RSSS for Stag …. Could be wrong though.

chet15

Hawkeye
Some of our real experts in Stags have not chimed in as yet; makes me think that those grips are definitely 100% REAL.
Probably worth more than $500 to Ruger collectors IMHO.....if you get a bunch of PMs/conversation requests, they're REAL :)

J.
Sure, they are 100% real stag.
But nobody today can tell if this set actually came out of the factory not. It is impossible.
As mentioned earlier, the unscrupulous are known have made fakes... ivory also. It is not hard to find a pair of vintage stag or ivory and use the right equipment to put medallions in.
The best anybody can do is say... "Well, they "look" factory".
To me the medallions are in the wrong position. But that is what gets everybody fired up.

I do know that the very first pair of stag or ivory that was ordered from a vendor by Ruger was six sets of ivory from J. L. Galef. Those six pair were installed on the letter prototype Single-Sixes "A" through "F", and those six pair without a doubt are absolutely known to go with those guns... they all still have those grips on them. The invoice from J. L. Galef says "6 pair ivory grip panels... medallions installed". None of the other invoices from Ruger's other vendors say anything about "installed medallions", or even talk about medallions.
Chet15

BearBiologist

Hunter
Looking at the original picture, the medallions on the left side appears not be flush and the stag appears to be cracked. I would TEND to think not factory originals, but I am not an expert!