Ill fitting grips.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

contender

Ruger Guru
Quite often,, many casual gun buyers or owners do not care about the looks of a gun, or how a set of grips fit or whatever. I see it all the time.
But for those of us who appreciate the art of a well built machine like a Ruger SA handgun,, and want them to be properly fitted with a set of grips that compliments the machine,, it can be quite frustrating or downright infuriating. When Ruger had the company "Lett" making the grips,, they mostly fit very well. Once Lett stopped making grips & closed up shop,, Ruger was left scrambling to find a replacement grip maker. So far,, thanks to contracts, not as precise grip frame measurements, and the fact that very few companies can mass produce the quantities necessary for Ruger,, we are left with grips that just don't fit as well. Add in the fact that Ruger has gotten better at making the frames to where they don't require as much polishing that reduced the measurements, and the grip makers using measurements from well polished (older) grip frames,, we have the current issues with cosmetic anomalies.

Now add in the fact that people's hands are all different sizes, a need for custom grips pops up.

Many people think grip making is hard or have some fear of trying to make them. I know I used to feel that long ago. Well, I decided one day,, knowing I can make all kinds of stuff, figured "Why not try making some grips?"
I selected (2) types of wood to work with. Some cedar & some plain walnut. Knowing the cedar is soft, and the walnut harder,, I'd get a feel for how to work the wood.
My first few sets,, not something I'd prefer to show,, yet, I've kept them, and have shown my mistakes. But one thing was glaringly simple. I was wrong to feel scared or thinking it would be too hard. I taught myself to make grips. I did get some excellent coaching from caryc to assist me in my projects. (If you find a set of Cary's grips,, they are stunning & some of the best I've ever seen.)
Basically, you learn what to do in what order, and you can surprise yourself. My first set,, out of cedar,, do not fit like I'd hoped. yet, Miss Penny thinks they are very pretty. Cedar is pretty,, but too soft for real field use. My plain walnut set came out better, but still have flaws in the fit flowing into the frame. And my drilling of the screw & ferrule holes needed to be done differently.
But by the 3rd & 4th set,, I was surprising myself.

Long ago,, well before the stupid stuff about real ivory,, I managed to get a set of blanks for grips,, and a slice of a tusk that will make a set. I only make grips occasionally, and before I delve into those,, I plan on making some grips to get back into the groove of doing it right before I tackle them. And I also have some Dall Sheep, and Bighorn sheep blanks. Those will also await the time when my mind & skills are honed a bit better. But they are coming.

My point to this is simple. If you have moderate skills with your hands, and access to a few tools, you can make your own grips to fit your hands. I started with a small dual purpose sander,, that has a 1" belt, and a 5" disc. I bought that tool long ago at a flea market,, for $25. I bought the grip ferrule drill & countersink tool set from Brownells, and a bunch of screws & ferrules from Ruger. I use a jig saw to rough cut the blanks, (oversized) to shape. I also have a drill press that I use to make sure my screw holes & my locator pin holes are straight. With just those tools you can fashion grips if you take your time, and go slow. I'd often just work on part of something & stop. Just to allow myself relaxation and lose any frustrations I may have felt.
You just have to TAKE YOUR TIME and make sure things fit as you desire. And start with cheap wood, to learn what to do & what not to do.

Star43

Blackhawk
He is right. With time and patience we can do this ourselves if we want to or have too, if we want some very nice looking grips....Back in Mass. in the mid to late seventies as a young guy, my first "revolver" was a Daisy BB Western style Spittin Image I think it was called. A single action hammer cock and fire gun and then the Crosman 44 revolver. That one was a CO2 gun. They all had the plastic grips and from watching all the western shows, I wanted nice wooden grips. An older neighbor was into sail boats and Teak wood was used a lot in maritime use as a solid , pretty , and well lasting wood. As Contender said on his first attempt, sure my first one on the Daisy came out ok as I took my time and hand sanded and fit it according to the plastic grips. I used Tongue oil I think and hand rubbed it and added a poly-urethane type of finish. Then on the 44, which I never really shot it much but just loved how authentic it looked and all metal with heft. That grip came out pretty nice. I bought a second 44 and did the same and that turned out beautiful. I still have those old guns and they still look as beautiful now as they did then. I have always tried to take good care of my guns. That is why I beat myself up on overtightened the Ruger Grips. I tell you one thing though. Those Teak wood panels did not crack and Still look beautiful to this day. I say all of this because, yes we can do a lot of stuff ourselves and take pride in doing it!!

BearBiologist

Buckeye
I've had real good luck with Patrick Grashorn on all makes and models (Blackhawks, Vaqueros ("Old" and new), Colt Pythons and 1911s.

Here's my wife's matching Vaqueros for CAS:

1713282877408.png

1713283233499.png

Ramshorn on a custom Vaquero:

1713283141989.png

Matching Colt SAAs with pre-ban ivory from Boone Trading Company. I don't know if he still does grips:

1713283948993.png

Edited to include my Python BBQ rig, had a twin sister, both with grips by Grashorn (Level of bark matched!) Knife by Chuck Stapels. All in elkhorn. Leather by EPS and back dyed by me. The "Forty Caliber or Bigger Rule" for BBQ guns is waived for Pythons, S & W Model 27s and 28s, and 1911 38 Supers, as a general rule!

1713375141421.png

Last edited:

El Guapo

Bearcat
Mine didn't come with the original grips. I DID find a pair of micarta/ivory grips in my drawer full of grips that fit quite well. I think I originally bought them for a stainless Vaquero about thirty years ago, so of course I have NO idea who made them.

Star43

Blackhawk
Quite often,, many casual gun buyers or owners dto contracts, not as precise grip frame measurements, and the fact that very few companies can mass produce the quantities necessary for Ruger,, we are left with grips that just don't fit as
My first few sets,, not something I'd prefer to show,, yet, I've kept them, and have shown my mistakes. But one thing was glaringly simple. I was wrong to feel scared or thinking it would be too hard. I taught myself to make grips. of Cary's grips,
What about the use of actual Redwood ?? That is a tough and durable wood. Did you ever try that? Also, have you seen Teak wood used before ??

Star43

Blackhawk
I've never tried any Redwood. Teak always looked a little "plain" to me.
I think Redwood would be very nice and durable, and you get a Real Redwood color. I have a grove of Redwood trees in my back yard. It's a much better wood than cedar for durability. As far as Teak, I remember it as a very dense wood and the samples given to me were a a nice reddish color and I used those samples to make some grips when I was a kid. I was looking at my old pellet Crosman 44 just last night and it looks very, very nice to me. I grew up near the water near Cape Cod, Mass, and there were a lot of old fisherman and sailors near me. Teak was used a lot by those "old guys", especially on their beautiful sail boats. I am the age of those old guys now. Seems like yesterday. Dress up the Teak with some hand rubbed tung oil, and a durable poly type of finish and it looks good. And it still looks great 40 plus years later.

JAYDAWG

Single-Sixer
I've had real good luck with Patrick Grashorn on all makes and models (Blackhawks, Vaqueros ("Old" and new), Colt Pythons and 1911s.

Here's my wife's matching Vaqueros for CAS:

View attachment 44106

View attachment 44108

Ramshorn on a custom Vaquero:

View attachment 44107

Matching Colt SAAs with pre-ban ivory from Boone Trading Company. I don't know if he still does grips:

View attachment 44112

Edited to include my Python BBQ rig, had a twin sister, both with grips by Grashorn (Level of bark matched!) Knife by Chuck Stapels. All in elkhorn. Leather by EPS and back dyed by me. The "Forty Caliber or Bigger Rule" for BBQ guns is waived for Pythons, S & W Model 27s and 28s, and 1911 38 Supers, as a general rule!

View attachment 44208
Cool stuff. Thanks for the pics........

What about the use of actual Redwood ?? That is a tough and durable wood. Did you ever try that? Also, have you seen Teak wood used before ??
Redwood Burl has some beautiful figuring. I don't know how hard or durable it would be in actual use- but you could always stabilize it with some Cactus Juice- make it hard as a rock.

I've got some beautiful pieces of end grain oak in my wood pile. I might try one of them out some day.

Star43

Blackhawk
Redwood Burl has some beautiful figuring. I don't know how hard or durable it would be in actual use- but you could always stabilize it with some Cactus Juice- make it hard as a rock.

I've got some beautiful pieces of end grain oak in my wood pile. I might try one of them out some day.
That would be interesting, and it's right there in your wood pile. The oak would certainly be a very tough wood to use. I think it would look good.

I have a friend (Henry Lance, owner of Texas Grips) make mine. Henry's currently working on a set of burled Mesquite grips for my new Browning Hi-Power .40 S&W.

Mesquite is Henry's favorite wood. I've bought half a dozen (or more) sets from him. Mesquite is very hard and is impervious to changes brought about by humidity. I find the grain to be very attractive and somewhat unique to each cut of wood.

The fact that his Mesquite is all Texas-grown is a definite plus.

Star43

Blackhawk
I have a friend (Henry Lance, owner of Texas Grips) make mine. Henry's currently working on a set of burled Mesquite grips for my new Browning Hi-Power .40 S&W.

Mesquite is Henry's favorite wood. I've bought half a dozen (or more) sets from him. Mesquite is very hard and is impervious to changes brought about by humidity. I find the grain to be very attractive and somewhat unique to each cut of wood.

The fact that his Mesquite is all Texas-grown is a definite plus.
That sounds interesting too. Tough yet attractive. It would be nice to see a picture of the Mesquite. You know, I was just thinking after Randy posted about his oak pieces, and wondering about why no one ever mentions Mahogany ??

Star43

Blackhawk

We have oak cabinets as many people do. Oak is used a lot because of it's durability and it looks very nice too. The oak would be interesting. I just mentioned on Johnny's post about Mahogany?? I have never heard anyone mention using it ?? It is certainly a very beautiful wood for sure.......

That sounds interesting too. Tough yet attractive. It would be nice to see a picture of the Mesquite. You know, I was just thinking after Randy posted about his oak pieces, and wondering about why no one ever mentions Mahogany ??
I think Mahogany is beautiful. However, it is very susceptible to changes in humidity.

In the 1970s I had a set of speakers built into mahogany cabinets while I was in the Philippines. When I PCS'd to Denver, those cabinets warped/shrank so badly (from the dramatic reduction in humidity) that they came apart. I fear that similar things would happen to mahogany pistol grips.

The newer the production, the poorer the fit of the grips. And when we've discussed this, we were often scolded on this forum, for expecting too much. I will continue to disagree with giving Ruger or anybody a free pass.

So when I have a new Blackhawk, Super, or Single Six with severely undersize grips, I go to my stash of older grips, or after market grips, and they magically fit as they should.

I'm not gonna change the world. It is what it is. Folks are pleased enough with these undersized grips, there's no reason for Ruger to address the issue.

And I will not excuse this...

Last edited:

Star43

Blackhawk
I think Mahogany is beautiful. However, it is very susceptible to changes in humidity.

In the 1970s I had a set of speakers built into mahogany cabinets while I was in the Philippines. When I PCS'd to Denver, those cabinets warped/shrank so badly (from the dramatic reduction in humidity) that they came apart. I fear that similar things would happen to mahogany pistol grips.
I guess that is why no one talks much about it as it must have happened to other guys too. But it is used a lot in furniture. Who knows, maybe if the grips are kind of babied, so to say, maybe they could work fine. Who knows ? At least you have your Mesquite !!. I bet they look good.....

Star43

Blackhawk
The newer the production, the poorer the fit of the grips. And when we've discussed this, we were often scolded on this forum, for expecting too much. I will continue to disagree with giving Ruger or anybody a free pass.

So when I have a new Blackhawk, Super, or Single Six with severely undersize grips, I go to my stash of older grips, or after market grips, and they magically fit as they should.

I'm not gonna change the world. It is what it is. Folks are pleased enough with these undersized grips, there's no reason for Ruger to address the issue.

And I will not excuse this...
Your picture speaks a thousand words. I got a chuckle out your statement of how one can pick up an old set of grips, and they " magically fit". I think most guys know this, but it is what it is. That is why I am currently playing with the spacers so I can use and salvage the ones I tightened too much and cracked. Although I do Not have a gorilla 🦍 grip. Let's face it. The grips get slightly loose when shooting and I Hate loose grips. So I just have to be more careful, speaking for myself. But yeah, I hear ya. I tried ordering twice from Ruger and they looked just like yours. I put them on. Tried playing with them to see if they could look better and at the end of the day, they looked just like your picture. I took them off

contender

Ruger Guru
One of the things necessary for wood to not warp & such is to stabilize it prior to making grips etc. Mahogany could be used,, but it'd have to be properly dried & then stabilized.

Unless I'm mistaken,, all the wood used by Cary & Zane (Cary Chapman grips, and Zane of Lone Star Custom Grips) has already been properly dried & stabilized.

And I do recall how both of them have made SA grips out of Mesquite wood.