How Many Magazines?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

KIR

Sparks, NV
Glancing over this thread, it appears that some have/carry 5 magazines for what I presume are semi-auto pistols. I am wondering what the number is for those who have an AR rifle???

For that reason alone, I would leave that State.
That would not bother me. My favorite EDC guns are Single Stack anyway. Even when I carry a double stack, I typically load only 9 rounds. Or I carry a snubby. Seldom carry a double stack. The only time I am concerned with more ammo/Magazines are on trips where I know I will be isolated. Especially my frequent hunting trips where I might not see another vehicle for a long time. Especially in the dark of night. I will carry a double stack with one magazine. And as always my Pico. If I had to choose between a spare magazine and the Pico. I would choose the Pico.
On my favorite Double stack, I have bought a number of 10 rd magazines in case they change the law where I live and I will be in compliance.

Last edited:
I like davevabch above carry a single stack pistol... only 7 rounds in the magazine and one in the chamber. I don't think the guberment has any business limiting this, but this is what I have adapted to. I don't think I will change either. I do carry a spare magazine always.

"I am wondering what the number is for those who have an AR rifle???"
Several. Anywhere there's an AR laying around for possible use, there's 2-3 mags close by. Possibly 1/3-1/2 of stored ammo is on stripper clips in grab-n-go ammo cans with 2-3 spare mags included in each can. Only a very experienced warrior has the presence of mind to retain empty mags in a fire fight.
The primary difference between paranoid and prepared is the perspective of the observer.

The internet vs Reality. I am a shooting enthusiast since a kid. Shoot each week, sometimes 2 or 3 times a week. But I have been carrying only for about 15 yrs. (When I do carry). One thing I have seen over the years is how the internet causes EDC owners to go way over the top. So many feel that if you are not carrying a combat Pistol with two or three magazines, then you are a dead man walking. It is so insane. To them, a FBI Miami Dade shoot out for them is right around the corner.
Youtube video's can really go over the top. If you are not training like John Wick, then you are wishing your life away.
It was interesting to see about three surveys done on some popular gun forums. It was no surprise to me that about 98-99% of the members had never once fired their gun in self defense. Past one round the odds become less, two even more so and so on. NONE had ever needed a spare magazine.
I have never even heard of any one needing one.
Some shooters are so over the top. On one forum you have a couple of people that spend thousands of dollars on training. They love to talk about Pro's they have met, etc. And these are old fat guys. And of course they carry large handguns with spare magazines.

I own many guns, love to shoot. However, I carry a small pistol pocket gun, or a Snubby. And five rounds is just fine. Life is good.

I love shooting, I loath carrying a firearm. Heck, I do not even like to carry a Cell Phone. And by the way, a Cell Phone driver will get you 6' under faster than being shot by a bad guy.
PS I love shooting a Snubby more than any other gun made. As Hickok45 said. "There is just something about them". For me they are just solid fun.

rEAuL6D.jpg
Very well said!

I've always been curious how many regular people have had to fire their concealed carry weapon when out and about. Not just draw their gun in preparation, but actually shoot in self defense.

Talking about non cop shootings with this information. Gangsters in gun fights almost always shoot until the gun is empty or fails (as in jams). Thats kind of the typical gangster gun fight. Home invasions tend to have more shots fired then 1 or 2. There have been some home camera footage shown on TV the last few years that show or you can here many shots. Just saying, you do what you do. Carry any weapon and ammo supply you want. Don't rely on gun forum stories, Massad Ayoob has written a few books using real facts and real data. Yes, most will never fire a gun in SD, most only shoot a few rounds. That does not mean all.

Last edited:
I wasn't clear when I started this thread. The question was actually about home or other set location, not carry. Still, plenty of good information. The 4 or 5 I mentioned was not for carry. To carry I would have 1 loaded in, plus one extra. As others have mentioned, if ten or twenty rounds won't do it, I'm in the wrong place.. ;)

I wasn't clear when I started this thread. The question was actually about home or other set location, not carry. Still, plenty of good information. The 4 or 5 I mentioned was not for carry. To carry I would have 1 loaded in, plus one extra. As others have mentioned, if ten or twenty rounds won't do it, I'm in the wrong place.. ;)
For carry, 1 in the gun, and a double pouch. One containing JHP and the other FMJ.