How to keep grackles from

Help Support Ruger Forum:

your tree and/or bird feeder. We never had grackles in this area when I was growing up. Would have been good targets for BB guns. Because of the overall change in weather, they are now part of the landscape. I hate these things - they are always chasing other birds away, stealing food meant for other birds, and they make an awful squawking sound.

We have an oak tree about 20 feet or so from our deck (where we spend a lot of our down time) that has a bird bath under it and a squirrel proof feeder hanging from it. One (at least) of the local grackles has figured out that they can hang from the feeder's perch long enough to get some seed and spill more on the ground so they can get it. We also had a young one hanging out in our tree squawking constantly for attention, which of course drew adults. After spending the night trying to sleep whilst it was squawking all night, I knew I had to do something. The next day I was out watering plants and I washed out the birdbath with the jet function on my hose sprinkler. The damn grackles were in the tree, so I turned the water jet on them. You should have heard the squawking as several of them burst from the tree.

Ha, ha, I had figured it out. We immediately ordered a 'burst' type squirt gun that would shoot 26'. Thank you China for the squirt gun, and thank you Amazon for the next day delivery. Now whenever they try to get in the feeder and I am on the deck, I blast them with the squirt gun. What a riot! Shooting practice whist ridding us of the damn grackles. Several days of this and we are now mostly grackle free. No shooting with BB gun in town, the neighbors all cheer me on!

I have stucco posts holding up the roof on my front porch. Despite hundreds of trees in the neighborhood, I had a woodpecker take a liking to the posts and has punched holes all over them.

Since they are "protected" there wasn't much I could do, but someone must have decided enough was enough and put a .177 pellet through the little bastards head!

^^^But, safflower seed doesn;t give you that "I got 'im" that shooting them does. (y) The squirt gun has a hand pump function that delivers the shot of water. Quick pumping gives you multiple shots whilst they are trying to get going. :) It is pretty humorous.

Cholo

Staff member
I used to have this massive bird feeder called Wild Bills. It seems to be made way cheaper now so I'm not paying their hefty price. Grackles used to invade that thing. I shot literally hundreds upon hundreds of those beady eyed ****ers. It was so bad that I always waited until 2 of them were lined up to take 2 with one shot. 100% of them would be gone by morning.

Why not just shoot them with a pellet gun or rifle shooting CCI .22 Quiets? I used the Long Quiets way back then. Now I use the 22LR Quiets.

I'm in a subdivision with really cool next door neighbors who encourage me to shoot this and that :ROFLMAO:

What's a Grackle?
Screenshot_20240124-100202~2.png

Ride1949

Hunter

contender

Ruger Guru
"I have stucco posts holding up the roof on my front porch. Despite hundreds of trees in the neighborhood, I had a woodpecker take a liking to the posts and has punched holes all over them."

Woodpeckers make holes to get to bugs in the wood or UNDER the stucco. Treat for insects, and no larva for the woodpeckers to go after.

^^^I left the area about 45 years ago. Lived in Minnesota, Iowa, and Colorado before coming back 10 years ago. So, yes, you have confirmed what I said about no grackles here when I was growing up. Now there are.

Sorry, I should have clarified.