I am perturbed that there are no repair parts availability for Marlin and Remington Firearms

Help Support Ruger Forum:

A week or so ago I contacted Ruger with the intent of buying the rear sight assembly for a Marlin 336. "What is the serial number?" Explaining that it was and older Marlin and the sight was missing, I intended to pay for the assembly. As I see it Ruger bought the Marlin trademark along with the assets of the company. They still should have an obligation to support the products with the Marlin name. I was told a year or so after the acquisition that Ruger had piles of parts that they shipped to Mayodan but don't have the manpower to sort and catalog the parts. Why don't they sell the parts to Numrich and divest themselves of the inventory and need for storage.
Yesterday I contacted RemCo to purchase the little spring for the bolt latch on a Remington 700. I was told to contact a company "Gun Repair" of some such company in Florida for parts. I contacted the company, after three tries of being disconnected once, allowing the phone to ring more than 10 times with no answer, on the third time someone answered. "Right of left", after a wait of 10 minutes the guy came back on the line "we don't have any of those we'll have to order some". I inquired how long will it take to restock? "Two months, I can take your name and number and give you a call back when they come in.

Ruger flunked the product support and RemCo flunked. Folks, if you have a Marlin or Remington product, and a part gets lost or breaks, you S.O.L. if Numrich doesn't have a remanufactured on or a worn out original.

Try gun shows. Lots of parts there.
I have a gunsmith business. I don't have time to peruse gun shows. Corporations who buy a trademark, also buy the history and should be obligated to supply parts for firearms that are not out of production. Marlin 94 95 336, Remington 700. Uh, we just don't sell replacement parts for a product we didn't make. I once had a Charter Arms Undercover brought me disassembled many parts missing. Contacted Charter, said we didn't build that revolver it was built in Bridgeport but send it to us we'll see what we can do. Two weeks later I received that revolver back in tip top shape, I only had to pay the postage both ways. Now that is a company that stands behind their trademarked name.

Last edited:
The rifle had that part on it, the part missing is the sight element. I got to admit I wasn't aware of this company. I ordered a Marbles sight from Brownells.

Mauser9

Blackhawk
Yeah that sucks. Should offer parts or repairs in my opinion. One would think they would welcome the business. Been using my 1100 since 80 for Trap but am wary of a possible repair. Guess I would have to rely on a gun store that could get the needed part or parts if I could not locate them myself. Currently considering the Remington 870 Fieldmaster in 20 gauge. Would hope they would offer help on those models currently made. Heard they are offering the wingmaster and 1100 again so they should smarten up.

mirglip

Single-Sixer
Corporations who buy a trademark, also buy the history and should be obligated to supply parts for firearms that are not out of production.
When Feinberg took over Remington and Marlin, he must have figured his only obligation was to increase quarterly profits.
Usually when a company is bought out the quality goes downhill. When Wall Street New Yorkers take over, you can count on that.
Ruger might be the exception. When they bought Marlin, the tooling for older firearms was probably already discarded by Feinberg. I think they will do the best they can under the circumstances.

You might find it here.

Lee's is a face to face business, not internet, I sure not driving from Western NC to Texas to see if they have a rear sight for a Marlin 336
When Feinberg took over Remington and Marlin, he must have figured his only obligation was to increase quarterly profits.
Usually when a company is bought out the quality goes downhill. When Wall Street New Yorkers take over, you can count on that.
Ruger might be the exception. When they bought Marlin, the tooling for older firearms was probably already discarded by Feinberg. I think they will do the best they can under the circumstances.
Right after Ruger made the move from NY to NC I talked with a lady at Mayodan, she said they had a truck load of parts but no manpower to sort the good from the bad. Numrich has the manpower, so why not sell that truck load of parts to Numrich instead of selling them for scrap metal? You buy the brand you support the brand.

Yeah that sucks. Should offer parts or repairs in my opinion. One would think they would welcome the business. Been using my 1100 since 80 for Trap but am wary of a possible repair. Guess I would have to rely on a gun store that could get the needed part or parts if I could not locate them myself. Currently considering the Remington 870 Fieldmaster in 20 gauge. Would hope they would offer help on those models currently made. Heard they are offering the wingmaster and 1100 again so they should smarten up.
I've been lucky, there are still parts like side rails, ejectors, extractors, etc. still available for 870 and 1100/11-87. Sending me to the "Gun Fixers" in Jacksonville was a waste of my time on three counts. Clearly a "jack leg outfit".

When Ruger bought Marlin the tooling and the machines were worn out, some of the machines pre-dated WWII, maybe WWI era machines.

Enigma

Hunter
It's the Gun Repair Center, and boy, are they proud of their Remington parts! They have very few Marlin parts, too. This seems to be a trend in the industry - the manufacturer doesn't mess with repair parts; you have to buy them from a separate vendor. Armalite has a similar setup.

Mauser9

Blackhawk
It's the Gun Repair Center, and boy, are they proud of their Remington parts! They have very few Marlin parts, too. This seems to be a trend in the industry - the manufacturer doesn't mess with repair parts; you have to buy them from a separate vendor. Armalite has a similar setup.
Kinda sounds like they want you to buy their new guns rather than get the parts to fix an older one. Heard Ruger has done a great job on the new made 336 and 1894 models but the price sure ain't cheap.

wheelgun1958

Buckeye
Lee's is a face to face business, not internet, I sure not driving from Western NC to Texas to see if they have a rear sight for a Marlin 336

Right after Ruger made the move from NY to NC I talked with a lady at Mayodan, she said they had a truck load of parts but no manpower to sort the good from the bad. Numrich has the manpower, so why not sell that truck load of parts to Numrich instead of selling them for scrap metal? You buy the brand you support the brand.
There is a $10 minimum on all mail orders. Postage is added based on the shipping service chosen and the actual shipping cost. We ship orders via USPS or UPS. We accept Visa, Master Card, American Express, Discover and Money Orders.
Lee's ships.

Star43

Buckeye
You know Sam, I know you mentioned you called Ruger once or even twice, but the parts that they do have is still your best bet. Maybe you talked to the wrong guy or gal ?? Why not try calling them again? You got nothing to lose and maybe this third time is the charm ?? Maybe you'll get some one on the phone who knows a liitle more than the other two, and might try to help you ?? 🙂 Good Luck !!

You know Sam, I know you mentioned you called Ruger once or even twice, but the parts that they do have is still your best bet. Maybe you talked to the wrong guy or gal ?? Why not try calling them again? You got nothing to lose and maybe this third time is the charm ?? Maybe you'll get some one on the phone who knows a liitle more than the other two, and might try to help you ?? 🙂 Good Luck !!
Thanks for the advice, I call Ruger frequently and order parts for Ruger Firearms. This Marlin "legacy thing" and support is still sideways for them. I even have a Ruger Customer Number and usually they send me parts free of charge. I guess it is cheaper in the long run, for me to fix their products than to bring it into their operation fix it and return it to me. Our customer is happy to get their firearm back in a week instead of 4-6 weeks, and they know if it doesn't give satisfactory service, I will work on it until it does work satisfactorily. (this rarely happens)

Hankus

Blackhawk
When Ruger bought Marlin the tooling and the machines were worn out, some of the machines pre-dated WWII, maybe WWI era machines.
The quality of the new Ruger Marlins far exceeds that of those made in the last 10-15 years. Ruger had to come up with new manufacturing processes and tooling and is making the new offerings to last. They have invested lots of time and money in these efforts.

Latest posts