James Arness and John Wayne

Help Support Ruger Forum:

caryc

Hawkeye
Just watched a movie on TCM. It was "Big Jim McClain" made in 1991. It starred Wayne and Arness. I never really realized how big James Arness was before but in the picture below, you can see how big he was compared to John Wayne. Wayne was 6'4" and Arness was 6'7".

One funny thing I noticed in this movie that I never really noticed in Gunsmokes western setting was that Arness actually had to lean down to grasp a door knob!

wRb625R.jpg

hittman

Staff member
Just yesterday a local channel re-ran Season 1 / Episode 1 of Gunsmoke including the opening introduction by John Wayne. 1955 I believe it was.

and they've been airing the Gunsmoke movies that I think were from the 80's and 90's.

caryc

Hawkeye
Many years ago, I subscribed to a service that sent me recordings of all the Gunsmoke programs starting with number 1. Unfortunately they are VCR tapes. I must have about 60 or 70 of those tapes. VCR was all they had back then. If I remember right, I have the whole gunsmoke series from the first show to the last show.

Last edited:

Joe Reilly

Single-Sixer
Many years ago, I subscribed to a service that sent me recordings of all the Gunsmoke programs starting with number 1. Unfortunately they are VCR tapes. I must have about 60 or 70 of those tapes. VCR was all they had back then. If I remember right, I have the whole gunsmoke series from the first show to the last show.
VHS takes up quite a bit of shelf space, so does the player.😁

I thought that was kind of strange too. But when pressing the info button on my DirectTV remote they showed the date as 1991. As matter of fact, I still have it on my DRV and I just looked at it again and they still list it as 1991.
Some of the old Tom and Jerry and Warner Brothers cartoons show dates of 2013 and they are actually 1940's. I just watch and enjoy

He was the scary guy in the "The Thing from Another World", too! Scared a bunch of kids. Including me.
I saw the movie while living on Tinker AFB OK in 1950 I was 7 at the time. After the movie was over I had to walk home through a SCARY DARK field and I died of fright 3-4 times.
I tried to get my Grandson to watch it when he was around 8. He wanted no part of it.

txramfan

Single-Sixer
James Arness back in the late 60s/early 70s use to frequent my pops pharmacy during the summer. My brother, sister, mom all met him. I never did, I'd walk in from a day at the beach and be told I just missed meeting him.

I was at the pharmacy that day in the 60s when John Wayne walked by me as I was reading the comics at the magazine rack. I noticed the gate out of the corner of my eye and looked up. The Duke. Walking to the counter. Made a purchase and left, I followed to see his car.
A brown station wagon with mag wheels.

Oh a lot of women having their hair done next door joined me in watching Mr. Wayne walk to his station wagon, some still had dryer hats/hoses on their head.